- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I love teaching! I love connecting with people to find out what inspires them and I feel that I learn as much from my students as I teach them.
I have over 25 years of playing experience in a variety of styles and nearly 20 years of experience teaching the guitar to many hundreds students of all ages and backgrounds. I have taught in many different situations, including through schools, music stores and privately. I am primarily trained as a classical guitarist and I hold a Master of Music Degree in Guitar Performance from The Peabody Conservatory of The Johns Hopkins University. I have been told by many of my students that I am patient, understanding, very approachable and fun.
Whatever our goals may be in learning to play a musical instrument, the experience and skills we gain in doing so can serve us in every area of our lives.
Music is for me a journey of self-discovery. I would love to share in and be a guide on your journey too!
Taught private lessons to students of all ages and backgrounds in three different locations: Ellicott City, Bowie and Bel Air.
Taught private guitar lessons and directed seasonal shows for the Silver Spring School of Rock.
Taught private guitar lessons.
Taught private and group guitar lessons.
· Guitar · In studio Roger Farwell was my first guitar teacher, and one of the best teachers that I've had the pleasure to work with. As a professional guitarist, I have had the chance to look back on when I was studying with Roger and compare my opinion now to the opinion I had while I was studying with him. My opinion now is the same as it was back then: Roger is an exceptionally capable and talented educator. He is very easy to work with and is always flexible in each lesson. Flexibility is important; an ideal teacher will have lesson plans with specific skills that he/she feels the student needs to learn, but they will also allow the student's current interests to guide the lessons. Roger was always happy to address any questions or concerns I had, but also made sure to guide my attention to critical skills that helped me grow as a musician. One such skill is proper technique, which is necessary for improving the student's ability to play and for preventing injury. With his background as a classical guitarist, Roger was able to teach me perfect left and right hand technique, which is something I still consider to be one of my strongest assets as a guitarist. His skills and interests extend far beyond classical guitar into genres like rock and jazz. In our lessons we would work on just about anything. We covered topics and styles like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Wes Montgomery, improvisation, James Taylor's fingerstyle playing, music theory, and sight reading. Overall, I found Roger to be an ideal teacher for students at any skill level, from total beginners to those who are highly experienced.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Roger taught guitar lessons to my son Jeffery for 7 years (starting from age 7). Roger is very competent in teaching all ages and making sure the lessons were age appropriate and interesting.
Jeffery really looked forward to weekly lessons with Roger which were only discontinued because we relocated out of state. Roger was not only a teacher but also a mentor to Jeffery, allowing my son to explore all genres of music and methods.
Roger is classically trained and teaches his students to read music and is knowledgeable and offers up to date music lessons.
My son is now in college and taking a music major. I am truly convincined that Roger's influence and care helped grow Jeffery's natural interest in music. I would highly recommend Roger for music lessons. He is a gifted teacher.