Fun & highly individualized lessons
Patient teacher who tends to your needs with a flexible schedule
Specializing in theory, soloing, technique & ear training
Worksheets in pdf form and each lesson written out in Google docs
Versatile performer, recording artist and teacher in private lessons for over 20 years. A musical journeyman from the Boston area and a resident for the past 10 years in Raleigh, NC, Rob's unique, eclectic playing style and tailored-to-your-needs teaching approach have been a proven success.
Rob studied with Berklee graduate Paul DiBartolo (Spread Eagle/MCA Records) and guitar extraordinaire Gary Hoey (Wazoo Music Group) also Berklee Professor's Jon Finn and Joe Stump. This lead to the Summer Performance Program at Berklee College of Music and was entitled a Certificate of Completion on August 8th, 2003.
· Guitar · Online Incredibly knowledgeable in physical techniques required for guitar; He is a master of all the subjective hands-on knowledge you can't learn from a video or a book, like individual hand/wrist placement, strength building, muscle memory, string bending. His curriculum is excellent for developing the raw ability to play as desired.
We initially did lessons in person then transitioned to Skype once I moved away. I found no difference between in-person or Skype.
· Guitar · In studio Before I became a student under my teacher, I thought that my previous teacher was good. However, looking back, my first teacher (Not Robert Grant), was horrible. The one distinct difference between many of the casual guitar teachers and Robert is that he has a great curriculum for teaching kids and adults the proper techniques, different styles, and practices for playing the guitar. I remember on the first lesson, he immediately commented my wrong form for my picking hand. Since then he has assisted me in correcting bad technique, pursuing my strengths and passions, and expanding my knowledge in music theory, both specific for guitar and for music in general. His curriculum is equal if not better than many college courses for music(classical, jazz, etc. courses). I have been with him for 3-4 years now and I find myself greatly improved from when I first started. I would recommend going to Robert if you want to seriously learn how to play the guitar with a brilliantly structured course.
· Guitar · Online I've been playing guitar for 28 years and Robert has done more to advance my playing in the last 5 months than anything else I've done over that time. Whether online or in person, Robert has a great mix of laid back attitude with a task-master's approach; he encourages his students to have fun with the guitar, but to take it and their work with it seriously. In a really short time, I've picked up a wealth of music theory and my technique has improved dramatically. Most importantly, I'm having more fun playing than I have in years. I can't recommend Robert highly enough.
· Guitar · In studio Seriously great teacher, I owe all my knowledge to him.
· Guitar · Online I can honestly say that I've never progressed with guitar as quite as rapidly as when I've been working with Bob. Put in the practice, and you WILL get better, both in technique and theory. These rigorous, drill-driven programs definitely lead to mastery of the material, and an improved command of the instrument however you decide to use it.