- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
My goal is to help students ENJOY the piano by finding ways to make it easier and doable. I have a very useful approach in helping students become self sufficient to sight read very well, to see patterns, understand music theory to either help them play well, or to even create their own music(I compose a lot of great music as well)
I couldn't sight read very well until I was 16, but I had a great sight reading teacher that showed me how to develop it, and now I can say that I'm one of the best sight readers out there that I know. I was a ballet pianist at Brigham Young University for several years where all I did was sightread binders full of ballet/classical music. I play for choirs, church congregations, jazz bands, or musical jam sessions all the time, and I couldn't do that at all if I didn't learn how to sight read well. I would love to help you learn the piano, and I will do my best to make learning as effective as possible. I especially enjoy teaching those who quit and would like to try again, because I know what that is like.
Concerning my musical background, I've played, arranged, and composed piano for choirs, bands, jazz combos, singers. I've been in bands all my life, and have composed for jazz bands, choirs, and orchestras at BYU and in Eastern Europe. I also play about 10 different instruments, 5 being fairly basic, and 5 fairly proficient.
I've had up to 30 students, mostly local, but I have a few online students on skype, and am looking for more!
I played piano for modern dance classes in which all I did was play piano without any music on the spot for the dancers. They would change styles often and using my music theory knowledge I would come up with things to play on the spot. I also played drum set for those classes.
I played and sight read piano music for Ballet Classes from large binders full of classical music like grand waltzes, polkas, or ragtime pieces. It was great opportunity because I got a lot of experience playing in front of people in a high pressure situation where I couldn't stop playing or drop the beat because I had dancers that needed me to keep playing and playing well.
I had to communicate with various teachers and their different communication styles when many of them didn't know how to express the musical ideas they wanted me to implement. In other words, I had to learn to "read their minds" to a certain extent.
· English · Online Richard is an excellent English teacher. His teaching style is very creative and fun. He is also very friendly and helpful. He tailors lessons to fit my need and I've learned a lot already in the first five classes. I would recommend him to anyone who is in need of learning English.
· Piano · Online Very helpful, and gets me through every song!
· English · Online Richard is a awesome teacher.
He is very friendly and helped improve my English pronunciation and grammar using his guitar.
Thank you Richard!
· Piano · Online By far the BEST piano teacher EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
· Classical Piano · Online Richard has a good attitude in teaching music.
· Piano · Online I had a great time
· Piano · Online it was AWESOME!!!!!!
· Classical Piano · In studio Richard is an extremely talented musician and an encouraging instructor. He takes his time to know his students and their individual needs. He focuses on developing confidence in each student through customized and private lessons. He is not only friendly and extremely patient, but he is also good at gauging his students' abilities and needs. He gave me great feedback to help me improve at an appropriate pace for me. I was surprised to learn how qualified he really is too! He graduated from college in music, composes and records his own songs, has been teaching for many years, and has had over a hundred successful students. Despite his achievements, he still made me believe in myself as a beginning piano student! I highly recommend him!
· Piano · Online
· Piano · In studio Richard is fantastic! Helpful, patient, and kind in his approach to teaching and helping his students learn. Always felt very motivated and inspired coming out of our lesson together.