Phil B. has Bachelor's Degree in Percussion Performance that he earned at Central Washington University in 1991. Soon after graduating from CWU Phil relocated to the Seattle area and has been teaching and performing professionally in this area ever since. As a performer Phil has worked with many different artists known both internationally and locally in a very wide range of styles, such as Stephen Pearcy (voice of the 80's Metal Band Ratt), top local big band The Jazz Police, Popular Las Vegas Entertainer "Zowie Bowie, and the late great blue legend Isaac Scott (voted into the Washington Blue Society Hall of Fame 1991). Recently Phil has been working with some of the most popular dance/show bands in the Northwest, including The Goods, That 80's Show, Galaxy 54, Vanity, and Gold Digger.
As an instructor Phil worked as a clinician and private instructor with Music Works Northwest and the Seattle Drum School. Currently Phil teaches privately in several different studios in the Seattle Puget Sound area.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Complete 5-piece Drum Set
*** Specialties ***
I teach the Moeller Method. This is a system of technique which involves three basic wrist motions. The basics can be taught in one lesson, but the application takes a lifetime. I also teach all popular styles of contemporary drum set, such as rock, jazz, funk, r&b, and many different Latin styles. I work with students on reading both on snare drum and drum set and also get them playing along and transcribing with recordings of whatever style of music is of interest to them.
I was the drummer in the Show Band on several Carnival Cruise Ships back in the mid 90's. The Show Band was an 11 piece group that provided music for the ship's production shows, backed guest entertainers, and had to be able to sight read and play in variety of styles.
· Drum · In home Great teacher, patient. Anyone looking for a drum teacher should check out Phil . The best.
· Drum · In home I am over 60 and always wanted to learn music, especially the drums. Phil is not only a great teacher, but also has shown remarkable patients for someone like myself with absolutely no music talent whatsoever.
· Drum · In studio I would give him 10 stars if I could! Awesome! Wonderful! He connected with my son. Very encouraging and taught Joshua a whole lot. He was beyond our expectations!
· Drum · In studio Our son has been taking lessons from Phil for approximately three years (he’s 10 now) and has really enjoyed it. He really admires Phil. He has advanced along in his playing steadily. Phil has been teaching our son how to chart drum parts and also learn songs for band performances with two other boys his age. He’s not only learned drumming methods, but is also learning to listen to what other musicians are doing to serve a role and be part of a team. We highly recommend Phil… he’s a great teacher and great with kids!
· Drum · In studio I have been bringing my son to Phil for a little over a year now. He is fantastic and has been wonderful to have working with my son. My son was 7 at the time and has since turned 8, he is doing so well that he is ready to play in a kids band. Phil has done a very good job teaching my son the ups and downs of playing music and also has done a very good job of making it fun for him so he hasn't lost interest. I would highly recommend taking lessons from Phil.
· Drum · Great Teaching
Phil was my teacher starting from 7th grade all the way through high school and I had a blast. He prepared me for playing the full drumset in my school's jazz band. I can proudly say that I became one of the most prepared and technically advanced drummers in my class because of him and still remember most of the techniques I learned 10 years later. He also made drumming engaging and fun and truly helped instill in me a desire to drum the rest of my life, even though its not actually my career.
Additionally, when I got good enough, Phil helped me join a rock band with three student guitarists at the School of Rock, which was fantastic because then I was able to actually apply what I learned and diversify my drumming. Overall, I look back on Phil's teaching as being an incredibly rewarding experience for me and if I had kids who wanted to play drums, I would totally have him teach them. Thanks again Phil.
· Drum · excellent instruction
My son received excellent instruction from Phil. From snare drum to drum set. My son received several awards for his snare drum abilities. Thanks alot to Phil.