- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a classically trained guitarist whose mission is to help my students reach their goals while inspiring a love and passion for music. Never picked up a guitar before? No problem! You’ll be playing your favorite songs in no time. Been playing for years but need a little help overcoming that next hurdle? Great! You’ll be playing better and with more confidence than ever before. In order to truly improve you need determination and dedication, and that’s why I try to keep things fun and inspired from the very first lesson.
I instruct private lessons and group classical guitar classes through Merit’s Bridges: Partners in Music program, which is a community outreach effort offering school-based music instruction to Chicago public schools. As a Merit School of Music faculty member, I strive to expand students’ personal and educational growth by cultivating a strong work ethic, effective listening, teamwork, and self-confidence. As a musician, I aspire to develop each students musical potential by improving their musical knowledge, skill, and instrumental technique to instill a strong understanding of the fundamentals of classical guitar and music as a discipline.
Being a freelance musician I have performed a wide variety of styles and genres including classical, jazz, pop, rock, folk, and even contemporary compositions. I have performed solo and with ensembles and band of various sizes including Ensemble AMP, Trackless, The Ostler, and Mother. In these groups I have coordinated with talent buyers and promoters, written original music, and participated in studio recordings.
As guitarist for Hazelwood Christian Church I performed new music weekly and professionally for Sunday service and special church events. I helped setup the and dis-assemble sound and stage equipment. I also collaborated with the church music director on instrumentation and arrangement of songs.
While pursuing my masters degree I held the Classical Guitar Graduate Assistantship. I instructed individual undergraduate students in proper classical guitar technique, history of the instrument, and musical expression through etudes and repertoire in preparation for performances. I directed small classical guitar ensembles emphasizing cooperation, musicality, and professionalism. I maintained grades based on attendance, progress, and performance quality. I also assisted Prof. Paul Reilly with the Annual Classical Guitar Festival, juries, and other miscellaneous duties.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Paul is a very talented educator. I am in a unique situation, needing to learn guitar for my job. After working with Paul, my lessons have become the highlight of my week. I am eager to practice and work on new techniques he introduces to my skillset. He works very hard, so I always appreciate when he is flexible with my changing schedule. Before Paul, I had a teacher who simply did not meet my learning style. Paul is incredible. Thank you so much. Learning guitar has become my new passion project and I enjoy my lessons so much!
· Classical Guitar · In home Paul is a fantastic guitarist and an even better teacher. My child had a fantastic experience learning from him, and came home playing a whole song on day 1! Couldn't recommend him enough.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Paul is a phenomenal instructor with the personality and charisma it takes to teach such a distinguished instrument. Whether you are trying to learn 3 chords to impress a special someone or you have a nerve racking collegiate performance, Paul will be able to help. There is a list of qualities that come to mind when I think of the best instructors I've had and Paul checks off all those things. He is extremely helpful, he is mindful of your wants and needs in parallel to your skill level, he has a gift for attention to detail, he is passionate about the subtle art of the guitar, and he pushes you as a musician in discipline and skill. Highly recommended and easily works with your schedule.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Before meeting paul, I felt like I had really hit a plateau in my progression as a musician. After my lessons with him, I had seen extreme improvement in myunderstand of the fretboard, playing technique, and sight reading skills in less than a month. He challenged me to play harder pieces and to push my self as a musician which I am extremely grateful for.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Paul is an amazing player and an even better teacher. He gave me incentive to keep learning and bettering myself everyday whilst taking lessons under him.
· Classical Guitar · In studio I took lessons with Paul for two years and I started to see results right away. My ability to play things on guitar by ear, as well as my ability to read and play sheet music grew rapidly. I would highly recommend Paul as a guitar instructor.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Paul was a great instructor. He gave me great lessons and was very patient with me. I enjoyed my time taking lessons with him.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Paul was a very good teacher, I went in to our classical guitar lessons having never played classical guitar before or even really reading guitar music. After one year of lessons with Paul I felt competent playing almost any beginner/immediate piece I was given to play.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Paul is an excellent instructor, well-versed in fostering the development of technical skill and musicality. As well, he is quite personable and patient with his students. My time with Paul was a valuable asset to my growth as a musician, ergo, I highly recommend him.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Paul was a great teacher. He encourages a lot of expression and proper technique in his students' playing. Even though we are very close in age, I respected him as a teacher.