Hi there, my name is Patrick, and I am now a new resident of the Asheville area. I am a music teacher of Trumpet, Piano, Voice and Sound Recording with more than 20 plus years of experience. Below, I relate some of my experiences and philosophies as a teacher of music since 2002.
*** Lesson Details ***
I have worked with adults and children, with beginners, and with more experienced players looking for a push or a new direction. I have developed many different teaching methods based on what each of my students wants to get out of lessons. The heart of most lessons I teach is learning to play or understand songs. Usually, I rely on my students to select the songs they wish to study, which I then transcribe to make personal arrangements fitted to their abilities. Of course, I will suggest or recommend songs at times. I also supply relevant exercises and music theory to accelerate the learning process.
I differentiate between concepts and skills, while stressing the importance of mastering both. As important as it is to understand the intervalic relationships in something like the major scale, this knowledge does little for the pianist if she or he cannot pick out the notes to the different scales in real time. In observing that each person demonstrates unique learning patterns and abilities, I have learned that some people will come to understand the conceptual through mastery of memorized tasks while some will succeed with technical mastery only after achieving some conceptual understanding.
Having first begun singing at 22 years old, I know first hand that it’s never to late to start singing. Having some experience in school but not fully as a professional till in my 20′s, I have learned from some of the top professionals in the South Florida area. My first vocal lessons was with Gloria Estefan’s back up singer Jon Secada. Jon has his first hit “Just Another Day” that stayed at #1 for several weeks. His one lesson really helped me use singing in my gigging around town. From that time on, I have used this technique for all my students. focusing on JUST BREATHING, has helped many of my students.
Teaching Sound Recording
Working in the early 1980s with recorded music and computers, I was introduced to the new wave of recording at its birth. At Miami Dade Community College, I taught and assisted students in Composition, Sound Development, and Sound Recording using Mac computers and PC’s. As of this day, I personally teach recording in Logic Pro, Bias Peak and Mastering using Waves plug ins and having finished products in Mp4 format and or CD’s.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Mac with logic pro software instruments, piano seating for parents
*** Travel Equipment ***
expect students to provide paper and pencil and put in practice time on their respected instruments at least 30 min a week
*** Specialties ***
Alfred,Hanon,Rubank Advanced Method for instruments.
My job was to assist and teach students playing Piano, Trumpet, and all other instruments in band and solo setting. Last two years i was there, I was running the program as the teacher was getting ready to retire. It was a great experience working with all those young musicians.
· Piano · In home Great first lesson for my 9 year old son. Patrick is friendly, professional, and kept my son interested and engaged.
· Piano · In studio Looking forward to more sessions with this guy! I've composed two new records since i had a session with him, it seems like he's helped me from overthinking that this is hard and with all the technology there is today its just simple. just do it!
· Piano · In studio Hello music world this is Tino b here! I want to let everyone out there who is interested in taking their music to the next level and is searching for someone to help them do so, well look no further Patrick Lopez can help you do so. My first
lesson with him gave me my confidence back and has me producing music on a totally different/higher level.
Better writing and music composition is what im learning,
how to listen to today's music melodies and transform them into a sound of my own. Check him out!
· Piano · In home First lesson with Patrick felt like a match. Looking forward to doing much more with him!
· Singing · In studio After my first time meeting the guy, he came across very nice and genuinely caring about his student. He really calmed my nerves and helped me get into it. I can't wait to continue
· Singing · In home He's very friendly, and knows his stuff. He's also super encouraging. Just an all around cool guy!
· Music Performance · In studio Patrick is from Miami, Fl. the capital of music. He graduated from a very reputable Arts school and it shows in his work as a musician and teacher. I highly recommend Patrick not only as a teacher but also as an entertainer.
· Music Performance · Patrick is an exceptional musician and teacher.I have known him for over 20 years and know him to be a person of superior talent and a dedicated musician and teacher.He is well schooled and a dedicated teacher.He has my highest recommendation.
· Trumpet · In studio Patrick has been very patient with my son who is learning trumpet. He is a beginner, but he has progressed so much in the short time we have been taking lessons.
I highly recommend him! He is also an amazing trumpet player!
· Music Theory · In studio one of the best instructors I've ever met