I am a music educator of 13 years: I have taught both middle school band and choir to at-risk youth, as well as elementary music at a private Christian academy. My principal instrument is the saxophone (which I began playing in 1990), and I play many other instruments. As for my formal education: I received the Bachelor of Music Education degree in 2005 from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey; and the Master of Music Education degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA, 2010).
*** Lesson Details ***
My goal is to create life-long musicians...
I focus on the needs and interests of my students, thereby representing all musical genres and including all cultures.
My lessons are structured into activities that incorporate various aspects of music appreciation:
Music theory, music history, music technology, performance practice, etc. (making such lessons comprehensive)
*** Studio Equipment ***
Everyone needs their own instrument. In my studio, I have to keyboards side-by-side so that the student can both see and hear what I am teaching without ever swapping seats. As for percussion, my practice pad station serves for warm-up rudiments, whereas I have 2 drum-sets facing each other so that again, students can both see & hear what I am doing without needing to spend lesson time switching seats. For all other instruments, I recommend buying new for any brand that is not among the top 3 brands for that instrument...this ensures a working instrument in which to learn from and practice on without necessarily spending top dollar.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I always bring my instrument, metronome, tuner, music stand and stand for my instrument, including lesson materials and supplies.
*** Specialties ***
All genres, all styles & all cultures! I teach students of all ages--mostly at my home studio, but I also travel to students' homes, churches, and, as an alternative during the Summer only, I am willing to meet with students in the Practice Rooms in the Fine Arts Building at UTSA.
Teaches Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Master of Music Education from University of Texas at San Antonio
Teaches students 5 and up
First lesson was great! He's very organized. Good with kids too.
I had my first lesson with Neil, so far so great. He is a good teacher and takes pride in his work. He is thorough and seeks to enhance my knowledge.
Excellent first lesson and introduction to the saxophone. Looking forward to future lessons.
Encouraging 1st lesson. Motivated & excited.
The Whole Piano Teacher Package
Excellent teaching skills. On time. Serious. Patient. Intelligent. Friendly. Thank you Neil.
- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate
Please let me know if you ever have any questions about equipment and accessories needed!
Private Music Studios, LLC
- Provide weekly instruction to students of all ages, skill levels, and learning styles (Including special needs students) for: Piano, Saxophone, Violin, Drums, Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, and Trombone. - Coordinate sectionals, chamber-settings and music theory sessions covering music of all genres. - Master Class clinician - Instrument repair specialist. - Music arranger & publisher. - Annual recitals & parent conferences. - Teacher, Beginner Piano Keyboarding Class for Kids (Age 7-12) and Teens/Adults for Northside ISD continuing education. - Band Director for HOST (Home-schooled Orchestra Of South Texas), serving both Northeast and Southwest locations
Boerne Independent School District
- Substitute teacher for all schools, grade levels, and subjects throughout Boerne ISD. - Specific focus on both music and math teaching endeavors.
Pipe Creek Christian School
- Director of music programs, grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. - Secondary Choir teacher & Percussion ensemble - Elementary music teacher & Recorder ensemble
Sam Houston Gates Academy School (San Antonio ISD)
- Director of Band programs (grades 6-8) - Middle School Choir Director - Music Teacher, grades Pre-K3 through 5th grade - Secretary, Community Leadership Team - Adviser, Tri-M Junior National Honor Society (Modern Music Masters, Division of NAFME: The National Association For Music Education)
Camden's Promise Charter School
- Director of bands, grades 5-8. - Pep Band/Jazz Band (After-school program through 21st Century Grant). - Adviser, Tri-M (Modern Music Masters, Division of NAFME: The National Association For Music Education), Junior National Honor Society.
University of Texas at San Antonio
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Texas State Board of Education
New Jersey Department of Education
Kappa Delta Pi
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Let Our Student Counselors Help You
We can match you with the perfect teacher and take care of all your scheduling needs.