- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Michelle Kei I., a soprano of Japanese and American heritage, "uses her strong dramatic soprano to slice through the orchestra" in a varied repertoire that encompasses Verismo to Broadway. Possessing a captivating stage presence and praised as "superb," "gifted," and a "constant breakaway from the rest of the vocal pack," she has entertained audiences on stages around the world.
Those are the first two sentences of my professional biography. I thought I'd use them to get the ball rolling.
Ever since I can remember, I've always been a performer. I come from a very musical family. I was always singing! I sang at home, in church, in show-choir and musicals at school - basically anywhere I could find an audience!
When I decided to go to college to study music, I chose the prestigious School of Music at Indiana University. I wanted to sing Broadway, but my father encouraged me to study classical singing first, so I'd have the foundations for a bulletproof technique that could endure a long and demanding career. I'm so glad that he did!
Who would have thought that I would learn to LOVE opera?!? It had everything that Broadway did, and so much more! Plus, I learned to fill a theater with the sound of my voice and soar over the orchestra WITHOUT A MICROPHONE!!!
Would you like to learn how to do that? I can show you how.
Let me help you find your REAL VOICE!!!
What you can expect from me:
- I will provide a supportive and effective work environment.
- I will make recommendations on repertoire based upon your goals
- I will provide you with an individualized regimen of study based upon your strengths and development, not a standardized format of study.
What I expect from you:
- Learn the musical selections we choose. Your lesson time should be used for improving your technique, not learning your music.
- Leave your outside life at the door. It will be waiting for you when you leave.
- Enjoy the process. Experiment. If it doesn't work, try something else. Take constructive criticism as an opportunity for improvement, not as a personal attack.
- Commit yourself fully! Be engaged. The benefit you receive is equal to the work you put into the process.
I sing concerts and theatrical productions with many different arts organizations across the country.
· Classical Voice · In studio Michelle and Robert are amazing! I've been taking voice lessons for only about two months and can already see the improvement in my voice, especially my high register which was pretty much non-existent. Unlike other voice teachers I've had in my past who string you along endlessly with no progress, Michelle and Robert truly, truly care ... they want their students to learn proper technique, and to excel and achieve their goals. And the results are quick. I can't say enough about Michelle and Robert. Definitely 5 stars!
· Classical Voice · In studio Taking lessons with Michelle has been one of the best decisions I've made thus far in preparation for my future in music and voice. Her methods of teaching has allowed me to feel extremely prepared for my future in music and future opportunities. Michelle has also heightened my abilities by teaching me new styles of technique when it comes to classical and broadway voice. I feel not only prepared for college but I also look forward to every lesson I have. She has really changed my outlook on voice and encouraged me to use my voice for future endeavors. As a high school student full of stress, voice really allows me to release the anxiety and have an hour or so of fun a week doing what I love most.
· Opera Voice · In studio Michelle is amazing! Her dedication to her students success is impressive. In only a few lessons, we are able to hear a marked improvement in both sound as well
as technique. We are so happy we found her and would highly recommend!
· Singing · In studio When I signed up for vocal training through TakeLessons, I thought I would take a few lessons to improve my singing voice. I had no idea that voice training with Michelle Kei Ishuu and Robert Taylor would be such a fun and productive adventure. Michelle and Robert, both highly talented classically trained professionals, are a terrific husband and wife team who pack a wallop with each lesson. Michelle is pure joy and coaches from the heart to bring out the best in her students. After only a few lessons, my vocal range has expanded and I sing with more confidence. Robert has a very keen ear and always suggests the perfect technique to improve my tone and vocal quality. Together they provide excellent vocal training. I can't wait to continue with my lessons to see how far I can go. If you want to advance quickly and really enjoy the experience, Michelle and Robert will be the perfect teachers for you.
· Singing · In studio Great first lesson!
· Musical Theater · In studio We are so glad we decided to get lessons with Michelle Kei and her partner Robert. They both are such talented performers and teachers and have made vocal training a wonderful experience for my teen daughter. Michelle and Robert and warm and extremely supportive people who teach with enthusiasm and a clear focus on the learner's priorities. My daughter needed coaching to prepare for an audition and earned the lead in the show! Michelle and Robert supported my daughter all along the way from the rehearsal period until performance week. I never imagined we would fine such wonderful and dedicated teachers on the internet. We are so glad we used TakeLessons to find them!
· Singing · In studio Michelle is a fantastic teacher. I have been taking voice lesson with her for only four months and she teaches me how to reach the very high F and G notes as a Soprano 2 effortlessly, a task which I had trouble with in the past, even my choral director notices the improvement. Thanks Michelle!!
· Broadway Singing · In studio Michelle is a fantastic and motivating teacher who uses a variety of techniques customized to help each student maximize their potential with continual progress and learning. My daughter loves her lessons, is fully engaged, and works hard at home as well as during her lessons. Highly recommend Michelle for any student at any level!
· Opera Voice · In studio I wrote a review several months ago after my first lesson. I have been taking lessons once a week with Michelle and Robert for several months now and felt it was time to write another review. I listened to a recording of my last lesson and compared it to my first lesson. Wow, what a difference! I couldn't believe it was me on the recording! My voice has developed a powerful and refined quality it never had before. My singing has become effortless and my range has expanded greatly and continues to expand. I can't recommend them enough. I look forward to every lesson because not only are they amazing vocal coaches, they are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are enthusiastic, encouraging, fun, and quite hilarious. My lessons always end too soon and I always improve upon my technique in some way after each lesson. I had taken voice lessons before many, many years ago and the experience was not so great. I found Michelle and Robert through an online search and decided to give them a try and I won the vocal coach lottery. I couldn't have found two better coaches. Wherever you are in your vocal training--whether you're just starting out or looking to improve upon your technique--I am convinced that Robert and Michelle will be able to help you.
· Opera Voice · In studio I wrote a review several months ago after my first lesson. I have been taking lessons once a week with Michelle and Robert for several months now and felt it was time to write another review. I listened to a recording of my last lesson and compared it to my first lesson. Wow, what a difference! I couldn't believe it was me on the recording! My voice has developed a powerful and refined quality it never had before. My singing has become effortless and my range has expanded greatly and continues to expand. I can't recommend them enough. I look forward to every lesson because not only are they amazing vocal coaches, they are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are enthusiastic, encouraging, fun, and quite hilarious. My lessons always end too soon and I always improve upon my technique in some way after each lesson.