- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
•The styles I teach most often are jazz, classical and popular. Although I have studied many different genres, my specialties are saxophone and composition. I have studied with music teachers such as Anthony Braxton, Herb Pomeroy, Charlie Banacos, Jerry Bergonzi, Gary Burton, Joe Viola, Ken Pullig, John LaPorta, Hal Crook, James Newton and Ken Radnofsky. If you are enrolled by October, you have the opportunity to enroll in MTAC Certificate of Merit and Composer's Today programs and recitals.
•9/1997 – Present San Lorenzo (CA) Unified School District Independent Music Teacher 9/1990 11/1997 St. Felicitas School San
Leandro, CA St. John School Fiat School of Music Music Unlimited San Lorenzo, CA Pinole, CA San Leandro, CA Provide individual and group music instruction to people from age 3 to 99. Deliver instruction based on Music Teachers National Association Certificate of Merit Curriculum for Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet and Piano. Incorporate Jazz
Improvisation, Theory and Harmony lessons
• Listed in Who’s Who Among International Professional Educators. • Listed in Who’s Who in American Education • Listed in Who’s Who Among American Women • Listed in Who’s Who in America • Six Lessons published in • Recognition for Self-Assembly Method Instructional Design Theory • Published article in OnCUE, Journal of Computer Using Educators
• Krause Center of Innovation 2005-2006 EWYL Cohort Participant • Krause Center of Innovation 2006-2007 EWYL Fellows Participant • Iisme (Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education) Fellow 2004: Intranet Web Designer at Applied Materials using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Contribute • Alameda County Representative to the CTAP Technology Leadership Academy at the Alameda County Office of Education (2000). Co-leader of Staff Development Program for Grade 4-8 Technology Integration • Taught University of Phoenix class for Technology Integration • IMTC class teacher in FrontPage and MS Paint • Member San Lorenzo Unified School District Ed Tech Committee and Lorenzo Manor Elementary Ed Tech Committee. • Past District Web Page Coordinator and FrontPage Trainer • Participant in Intel Teach to the Future training • Provide opportunities for children to meet Technology Standards• Incorporate technology into the curriculum using desktops and wireless laptops, FL Studio, Cubasis VST 4.0, Music Ace, Band in a Box, Finale Notepad, Silver Burdett MIDI Connection, Windows Movie Maker, Microsoft Office Suite, recording and burning CDs, DVDs, etc. • Manage a High School Computer Music Lab. • MarcoPolo trainer.• Teach Music Technology classes after school for the Gifted and Talented (GATE Program).
• Member Music Educators National Conference • Member Technology Institute for Music Educators. Lesson plan published on their Web Site. • Member California Music Educators and present music technology sessions for educators at the Bay Section Conferences.
• Deliver instruction in the area of the curriculum pertaining to National and District Music Standards. • Create and implement lesson plans, rubrics and assessments. • Organize and produce Winter and Spring Concerts. • Experience working with children with challenging behaviors and disabilities (Special Day Class and Continuation School).
• Provide children with learning experiences that promote their cognitive, social and emotional development. • Experience in teaching students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. • Communicate with parents. Handle record-keeping of grades and attendance. • Work cooperatively with other education professionals.
• Organize and produce Winter and Spring Recitals, including County Recitals for the National Guild of Piano Teachers. Communicate with parents. Handle advertising and record-keeping of tuition payments. Vice-President of the Alameda County Branch of the Music Teachers Association of California. Attend Board meetings and plan guest speakers Licensed Kindermusik instructor for children ages 18 mos. to 7 years. Students chosen for State and County Honors Recitals. Listed in National Honor Roll, National Guild of Piano Teachers; Member Music Teachers National Association. Taught Undergraduate Musicianship class as a Graduate Assistant at Mills College.
•Professional Freelance Musician 9/1984 12/1995 Boston, MA; Bay Area, CA Performed own compositions and others works in various styles in innumerable local venues and clubs such as The Oakland Museum, Yerba Buena Gardens, The Valencia Café, Trans America Building, the Marriott Hotel, as well as in Las Vegas. She have performed with musicians such as Vijay Iyer, Anthony Braxton, MC
Hammer, Luciana Souza, Lloyd Nibbs (Skatalites), Fred Lonberg-Holm,
Andy Borger (Norah Jones), Stuart Popejoy, Aaron Stewart, Sheila
Sofian, William Calhoun (Living Color), Sean Kennerly (Samiam) and Joey Cheezhee. CD Recording on Curious Pogos Records:Frederick Lonberg Holms Theory of Motion. Composed music on Sheila Sofians Animations Faith and Patience and Secret Rage. Won 15 awards in International and National Film Festivals. Broadcast on WHYY TV12 and WYBE TV35 Educational Stations. Honorable Mention in Composition: City of Oakland Creative Arts Fellowship. Live Performances on KPFA, KNBR and KALX radio stations.
•EDUCATION Ph.D. in Education (10/2013). Specialization in Professional Studies Capella University Teaching Credential: K-12 Single Subject Music 8/1999 Chapman University GPA 3.9 US-CA-Concord Master of Fine Arts degree in Electronic Music and Recording Media with an emphasis in Composition 5/1992 Mills College GPA 3.64 US-CA-Oakland Bachelor of Music degree in Jazz Composition and Arranging 5/1987 Berklee College of Music US-CA-Boston GPA 3.59 Cum Laude
*** Lesson Details ***
I am interested in teaching you what you need and want to learn so that you achieve your dreams. Please note that I only take serious students who will practice at least 30 minutes every day or 35 a day 6 days a week at home. I would like you to keep a log of how much you practice. This will enable you to make progress through the curriculum as you will be a beginner for the first 3.3 years, an intermediate for the next 3.3 years, and then an advanced student for 3.3 years. I will give you assignments to do over the week, and the next week we will go over them, learn something new and get new assignments. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Currently I am converting my detached garage into a music studio with keyboard and instruments. There is a sitting room where parents can wait for their children. In the meantume, we will have lessons in my living/dining room.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Metronome, CD Boom Box
*** Specialties ***
Jazz, classical, popular, saxophone, composition, music, flute, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet, trombone, french horn, tuba, baritone, oboe, songwriting, recording, children's music Composition
Reading and Notating Music
Music Software such as FL Studio, Band in a Box, Reason and GarageBand. Bring your laptop to lessons!
Minor Key Harmony
Extended and Secondary Dominants
Altered Dominant Scale
Certificated for PreSchool Through Junior College
The mission of TI:ME is to assist music educators in applying technology to improve teaching and learning in music.
Founded in 1863, the California Teachers Association has become one of the strongest advocates for educators in the country. CTA includes teachers, counselors, school librarians, social workers, psychologists, and nurses. These educators in the K-12 school system are joined by community college faculty, California State University faculty, and education support professionals to make CTA the most inclusive and most powerful voice of educators in the state.
The National Education Association (NEA), the nation&#039;s largest professional employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public education. NEA&#039;s 3 million members work at every level of education&mdash;from pre-school to university graduate programs. NEA has affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the United States.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
Our primary function is to establish definite goals and awards--in noncompetitive auditions--for students of all levels, from the earliest beginner to the gifted prodigy.
MTAC aspires to be the recognized leader in (1) Student Programs, which make a positive impact in the quality of music education and in the lives of music students; (2) Member Programs, which inspire quality teaching, the pursuit of ongoing teacher education and member involvement with community outreach; (3) a thriving Foundation, which funds Student Programs and member needs through its investments, donations, and grants.
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
· Violin · In studio
· Piano · In studio
· Piano · In studio
As parents, we see a big improvement in our daughters' piano playing skills. They even practice on their own, without us telling them to. All thanks to Dr. Spranza.
· Piano · In studio
My 8 and 10 year old boys both take 30 minutes of weekly piano lessons from Ms Maureen at Music Unlimited in San Leandro. Their instruction includes all facets of learning - from ear training, to technique, to theory. My 8 year old is a beginner and my 10 year old has been playing for 3 years. Her lessons include an optional Certificate of Merit program that "offers performance, development and evaluation opportunities for students". To learn more, visit http://www.mtac.org.
I really appreciate how she encourages participation in recitals throughout the year, which allows her students to perform both informally and formally to other students, teachers, and family.
We are extremely lucky to have found Ms. Maureen!!! The kids are progressing and are having fun learning. They are filling our house with beautiful music. I highly recommend her to piano learners of all ages!
· Trumpet · In studio
· Piano ·
It was a tear jerking moment.
Mom has had issues with her brain from a car accident, and her piano lessons with you have been the best, best thing for her....from our entire family,
· Violin ·
We have enjoyed having Maureen as our familyâs music teacher. My son started taking flute lessons with Maureen in 2009 and advanced through the levels very quickly. He plays flute in YOSAC (Youth Orchestra of Southern Alameda County). He also plays saxophone and tried out and was selected for the Alameda County Honor Band. Maureen worked with him on jazz theory and improvisation and he plays in the jazz band at school. With Maureen, he worked through all six levels of Master Theory and is ready for the college level AP Music Theory at 14 years old. He also completed the MTAC (Music Teachersâ Association of California) Composerâs Today workbooks and used http://www.noteflight.com to write his own music and participate in composition contests. My daughter has been taking piano and violin lessons with Maureen and has been doing a great job. She is playing classical music on violin in school and in YOSAC (Youth Orchestra of Southern Alameda County). On piano she is learning to play the blues and jazz, as well as learning theory and composition. Both of my children have been able to successfully participate in the LaHonda Summer Music Camp. We have had a great experience with Maureen throughout the past 5 years and have enjoyed seeing her each week.
· Piano ·
Last October my daugther received piano lessons as a gift for her birthday. We started taking lessons with Maureen in November, my daugther, who had just turned 6 was very excited to start classes. Maureen had been very patient with her and caters to her ability and age. Sometimes my daugther gets discouraged, because she feels like she isn't progresing as fast as she would like, but after class she is always excited and ready to come home and continue practicing. Overall, I am pleased with our experience thus far. Maureen is very accommodating and is equipping my daugther with the skills she needs to be a successful piano player.
· Piano ·
My 10 year old daughter started taking piano lessons in the Summer, she is now on her 28th lesson.
The curriculum Maureen has chosen for a beginning pianist has been a wonderful musical journey & very easy for my daughter to follow, along w/her lesson Maureen is also having her learn technics, theory & other music fundamentals to enhance her music skills, my daughter has learned alot already.
We've had to change our schedules on several occassions & she has been wonderful and quite flexible in both teaching music and rescheduling appointments.
She has been a great support to me as a mom who is new to this art & who is learning the disciplines that come along with it.
I trust that what my child is learning from Maureen will hold a lot of substance in her future & I am very satisfied with with the results I'm seeing.
I'm glad to have my daughter continue with these lessons & to watch her evolve as Maureen's student.
· Piano ·
It's actually my son whose doing the piano with Ms. Maureen but I usually go with him each session since this is his first time taking lessons. Ms. Maureen is so welcoming and my son likes her so much. She is very detailed and patient with my son. Her skills reflects well with my son's progress. With just 2 sessions, my son can read notes and was able to follow simple music sheet. She gave him follow up practice at home during the week which encourages my son to do his piano lessons at least an hour a day.