A drum instructor since 1988, I'm a graduate of Musicians Institutes Percussion Institute of Technology (P.I.T.) and hold a Bachelor of Arts from California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo.
I teach beginning to advanced drums to students of all ages. Before relocating in San Diego, I was a full-time instructor for The Drum Circuit Drum School in San Luis Obispo where I was teaching 200 lessons a month. Originally, I'm a native of the Los Angeles area where I taught for the Van Nuys and Alamany High School music programs.
I've been lucky enough to study with some of the music industry's very best educators including: Steve Houghton, Jeff Porcaro (Toto), Joe Porcaro, Casey Schurell (Frank Zappa) Efrin Torres (Latin and World), Chuck Flores (Jazz Legend), and Ralph Humphrey. These professionals provided me with the foundation for a teaching career that is now into its 25th year.
Outside the practice rooms, I'm an on-call, independent performer / contractor and clinician. Some of my credits include performances/recordings with Jon Anderson of Yes, Award winning songwriter Maia Sharp, (Bonnie Raitt, The Dixie Chicks), nationally recognized blues band Pryor Baird and the Deacons, and many other noteworthy talents. I've also performed for various stage productions in the Los Angeles area, such as Little Shop of Horrors, How to Succeed in Business, and Once Upon A Mattress.
Currently, Matt can be found performing with what many call "the ultimate Santa cover band" Santana Ways as well as a number of other musical projects.
I work hard to implement teaching techniques that encompass all styles of drumming and performance. Sight reading, rudiments, chart interpretation, soloing, hand/foot control, independence, and working in a band are just a few areas of focus. It may sound like it's difficult - but you can do it all and I'll prove it to you. 25 years of teaching experience has not only taught me patience but has given me the tools to encourage, develop and refine the abilities of any student. (And that means you :)
*** Lesson Details ***
Don't worry. First things first, you're going to make mistakes so don't be afraid to. If you don't make any mistakes during a lesson, you can go ahead and teach me. I'm really laid back with my approach to lessons: we'll talk, we'll play, I'll explain a few things and boom - you're playing' drums better than ever.
If experience has taught me anything, it's that a student can not be forced to practice. However, even the younger students understand the idea of "you get out of it, what you put into it". I pride myself in being able to make lessons enjoyable and thereby the student is going to want to learn more and in turn, practice more. I will give you all you can handle - when you're ready.
Playing to music is essential - it's what we're going to strive to do right? Students should try to have an MP3 player of some sort: Ipod, ipad, smart phone etc.. I'll bring one just in case so we can plug in, listen to your jams and play.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Students should have their own drums. Minimum of a practice pad and Drum Sticks. (Available if needed). Music paper and a folder or binder.
*** Specialties ***
Drummers need to be versatile and more often than not, versatility is limited by two factors: physical independence and music interpretation. Out of the gate, I focus on these two hugely important aspects of modern drumming so that the student may better pursue their desired style with as much freedom and knowledge as possible.
Private in home drum instruction
Private home and in studio drum instruction
Group and private drum instuction
Private home and in studio drum instruction
A one year full time course of study. In-depth instruction from acknowledged leaders in music education.
· Drum · In studio Matthew has been great for my son, Michael! He has learned a lot in a short period of time!
· Drum · In home Very knowledgeable and patient. My son has learned a lot in a short amount of time.
· Drum · In home I had my first lesson with Matthew and it exceeded my expectations! Matthew was professional yet really down to earth and he made me feel comfortable from the get go. I look forward to taking my drumming to the next level with Matthew as my teacher.
· Drum · In home Awesome teacher! I am a self-taught drummer and he showed me exactly what I needed to do to improve myself.
· Drum · In home Matt is AWESOME. He has been a great musical role model for me since day one. The knowledge that Matt has passed down to me has completely reallocated my purpose as a musician and challenged me to question my role as a drummer in an ensemble situation. What insight! I have absolutely no doubt that I will be prepared to confidently attend college university music ensembles in the next couple of months, because of Matt's mentorship and how it has inspired me (and of course, taught me how) to achieve my best. Matt has exposed me to styles of music I didn't even know existed. His talent is beyond the capacity of any other teacher I've had, and my family and I respect him very much. Very personable, easy-going, and intelligent. Thank you Matt, for everything. :)
· Drum · In home Matthew has been great with our son! A perfect balance between keeping our 6-year old interested but also teaching the essentials. Other teachers just didn't "get it" when teaching a young, active boy. We are very pleased with Matt's approach, and after only 3 lessons and some practice, I am already able to jam with my son on some simple rock n roll tunes.
· Drum · In home My son had just 3 Drum lessons with Matt and he was very encouraging while teaching him the Drum rudiments. Vikram made progress in leaps and bounds considering it was such a short time and we thank Matt for his easy going approach. He was always on time and great with communicating ahead of time if there were any changes. I wish him the very best.
· Drum · In home Matt is a true professional!
Matt teaches my 10 year old on drums and has done an amazing job. He has instilled the basics and foundation of drumming while still holding the interest of my son. At the same time he is developing his ear and teaching him how to play and adapt to different styles of music.
I highly recommend Matt for all ages of drumming kids and adults alike.
· Drum · To the point...
Matthew is very good at knowing where you should start. Instead of pulling out basic rudiments from the start, Matthew had me play my set first. It was then he got a good understanding where I needed to start.
Matthew is very laid back, allows you to progress at your own speed, and always makes sure you got your lesson(s) before he leaves...
I would recommend Matthew to any drummer wanting professional instruction.
· Drum · My Grandson has come so far with his Drum Lessons!
My 9 year old Grandson has been taking lessons with Matthew for over a year. This is his very first experience with any drum lessons and because of Matthew's excellent teaching style, he has come so far!
I might add that my Grandson has Down Syndrome but that never stopped Matthew from being the Great Drum Instructor that he is complete with a rather relaxed, easy going but very professional teaching skill.
When my Grandson was at a MLB Game when presented with the spur-of-the-moment opportunity to play drums with some professionals, he had the confidence to just jump right in because of his experience with Matthew's drum lessons.
Thank you Matthew, we appreciate all you have done!