I help students make the guitar a part of their life, teaching them to play with individuality and creativity.
***for DC In-home students, minimum lesson time must be 60 minutes.***
Taught privately in the Washington DC area for 3 years before moving to NYC to earn my Bachelors of Fine Arts in Music majoring in Jazz Guitar. I am young but very knowledgeable and I have a knack for teaching. I gigged regularly in the DMV and NYC areas and have been doing a lot of shows, private parties, receptions, weddings, and business events. i have made recordings in studios and I am very musically active. I am extremely passionate, and I live to play, learn, and of course teach the guitar.
*** Lesson Details and Teaching Philosophy ***
I love playing guitar and YOU will too!
The guitar is a fantastic instrument and is so much fun to play. I incorporate musical fun into my lesson as much as I can because I want students to learn how to "play" music not "work" music. I have learned from many great musicians that music is driven by passion and should be enjoyable to the performer and this is felt by the audience. Teaching and learning is similar. I enjoy teaching so much and my students always have a smile on their face after the lesson.
Play the music YOU love!
I have learned in my experience that students show the most growth and progress while learning material that they are interested in. I have been trained to be able to play almost any tune I hear, so I can teach my students how to play their favorite tunes exactly how they hear them!
This means that lessons are customized and fine-tuned for every student!
Slow and steady WINS the race!
Learning music is not a race, but this lesson is true when learning music. I am able to work with students to help them improve by identifying and isolating problems in their playing. I can create simple exercises for the student to slowly and surely become closer to the guitarist they wish to be.
I am very flexible and prioritize the students need over everything else. But with everything I teach, I am able to relate back to theory. I show students how to practice effectively to build their chops. And I of course I can instruct the students how to read and write music, with proper technique. I also have an educated background with Theory and Ear Training, all of which I pass on to all my students.
I care very much about my students and love to see them excel!
*** Studio Equipment ***
music studio in basement; amps; guitars (acoustic & electric); cables, music stands, sheet music
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide with me sheet music paper, a music stand, and a small amplifier if necessary.
The student should have a private space suitable to take lessons in and a guitar to learn with.
*** Specialties ***
Rock, R&B, Funk, Acoustic, Pop, Jazz, and also Christian music
With Mobile Music Instruction, I gained my first 3 years of guitar instruction experience in the Washington DC metropolitan area. I took students of all ages and skill levels.
· Guitar · In home My son can't wait every week for his lesson with Marvin. He has learned so much in only five sessions.
· Guitar · In home Marvin has been awesome and I am glad to have found him here in TakeLessons.com. My son and I are taking weekly guitar lessons with Marvin and he has been a great resource and help for knowledge. Both my son and I are beginners and he's has worked with each one of us in different ways, since we both learn differently and have distinct goals. I feel that his recommendations and exercises are helping the two of us and I look forward to keep working with Marvin and making us better players and have fun with the guitar. His patient and calm demeanor are perfect and important traits to effectively teach adult beginners and kids. Thanks Marvin!
· Guitar · In home Marvin has been teaching guitar to my two sons, 12 and 10 since last June. My boys had never touched a guitar before so they were absolute beginners. Marvin has a soft spoken and easy going style of teaching. He makes the lessons fun for my boys and they look forward to their lessons every week. I would definitely recommend Marvin to anyone looking for a guitar instructor.
· Guitar · In studio Marvin is a great tutor. I have been enjoying the lesson with him.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home We only just started with Marvin, but he is professional and patient with my son. My first impression of Marvin is very good and he is very soft spoken and friendly! In just two lessons, I have already seen progress and we are now looking forward to working weekly with him. My son choose Marvin as his teacher, after reading about him on the web-site and it was his choice to continue lessons. He is very excited about learning more and playing guitar with Marvin! In fact, we are adding an extra supplemental session between lessons. THANK YOU MARVIN!!
· Christian Gospel · In studio I would definitely recommend Marvin as a music coach/instructor to anyone. He has vast set of knowledge when it comes to music and its theory and he continues to inspire me as I learn more about music. He incorporates not only his knowledge but also his experiences when teaching guitar and music in general. He is open to new ideas on how to make learning as fun and as interesting as possible, for instance, he starts off with what you know and what you want to know more, in order to create a lesson plan specifically designed to your style and passion.
Marvin has helped me build a strong foundation in music, and I believe that he can also help you accomplish the same goal!