Males 5 to 65
My musical journey started in high school when my algebra teacher saw me in the hallway, grabbed my hand and brought me to the choir room to sign up for The Sound of Music auditions. To this day I cannot believe my math teacher unknowingly sent me straight down a path that I would walk the rest of my life. After The Sound Of Music I never left music. I kept singing in high school by participating in the school musicals and different choir ensembles. When it came to college I started taking private lessons and music classes for fun until I realized this is my passion and I wanted to make a life of this. When you wake up everyday and the first thing you do is sing at that point there was no other way to live. There I started my journey with really learning the voice as an instrument and how it works. I found that I am a vocal scientist at heart believing you will go a long way as long as you know how to grow. Being a vocal scientist, I find it so interesting to know what exactly needs to happen when we sing in order sing in a healthy and beauitful manner.
While I was at Moraine Valley after I firmly choose music I felt I needed more of a diverse program so I can answer any possible music based question. I then went on to get my degree at VanderCook College of Music where they teach nothing but music education. Their program intensely teaches all the band and orchestral instruments on top general education classes and your major, mine being voice. While I was there I also took the time to study privately with our percussion professor to learn rhythms and with our sight singing and ear training professor to further develop my ear and knowledge. All in all I have been studying the voice for 11 years and counting. I do all this so that I could pass that experience down to you.
*** Lesson Details ***
In my lessons I like to teach vocal techniques such as raising your soft palate, correct breathing techniques, and a forward placement. These are the tools to help a vocal musician grow for the rest of their lives.
Another part of being a vocal musician that I teach in every lesson is ear training and or rhythm. These are things I wish I would have learned earlier on and are essential to being an independent musician.
I like to keep a more uplifting environment when teaching so although you should expect a push for success, you should always feel comfortable and not afraid to make mistakes.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Lessons in the studio room, electric piano
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide literature and a music stand while the students should have a full length keyboard and or piano.
*** Specialties ***
I teach rhythm, sight singing and ear training, general musical terms, as well as specific vocal techniques.
Hired to sing at various events including weddings, church celebrations, funerals etc.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Singing · In studio Marisa is great! She is a very nice and easy going person. Very happy with my lessons.
· Singing · In home Marissa is a wonderful and talented voice instructor! My daughter loves working with her and looks forward to her lesson every week. We are so pleased to have found her!
· Singing · In studio Marissa is an excellent teacher. My daughter is very pleased with her. Marissa makes her feel comfortable and enthusiastic. Marissa is very patient and makes every lesson fun and productive. We are very glad we found her!
· Singing · In studio Professional and friendly.
· Singing · In home Very happy with Marissa. I have an 8 year old boy who had a hard time with his shyness. Marissa's demeanor and her way with kids helped him come out of his shell. I look forward to his next voice lesson!
· Singing · In home Very nice to children
· Singing · In studio Couldn't be happier my daughter loves it !!!! Glad Marissa is her instructor she truly does care and gives great detailed feedback exceeding my expectations!!!!
· Singing · In studio Marissa was very helpful. She is helping me get ready for a play at my school. She is getting me to sing notes I never thought I could sing. Can't wait til my next lesson.
· Music Performance · In home Marissa has been great in developing me as a singer and a musician. She's really easy to talk to and really knows what shes talking about! I can tell I'm getting better after each lesson! Marissa makes music fun!!!
· Singing · In studio She will forever be the greatest teacher I have ever had! She is beyond kind and helpful and very easy to open up to. She cares about her students and creates authentic bonds. I cannot speak highly enough of her.