- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
The mission of my studio is to create well-rounded, educated musicians who will always have a lifelong passion for the art no matter their long-term goals. I strive for my students to be:
(1) Lifelong learners who develop successful learning habits.
(2) Creative and critical thinkers who will become effective communicators.
(3) Responsible and respectful members of society who respect other cultures.
(4) Able to set short-term and long-term goals and be able to see them through to their success.
It is of the utmost importance that my students are well-educated in their chosen instrument; they must know and understand music and music-making. Students who can play are a dime a dozen, but students who understand the music they are playing are often hard to find. I teach students to know music thoroughly, not just to “play.” I desire my students to comprehend elements of the score, to use their bodies effectively to make good sound, and to interpret music creatively and according to historical performance practices across all genres of music. Thus, I give students a purposeful education in technique, quality literature, performance and artistry, music theory, and music history.
Although students differ in ability and development, I maintain high expectations for our students. I expect attention and respect in lessons, faithful and diligent practice, careful adherence to instructions, and an “I’ll-do-my-best” attitude. If students regularly meet these expectations, then they will excel to the level that they are able. It is my joy to help students master their music, to do the best they can, and to strive for and achieve excellence.
Lastly, I want students to enjoy and appreciate their instrument, music, and music-making; and I know as as a teacher, I am very influential in making this happen. Students develop enjoyment of music by understanding music, experiencing success in music, being exposed to good and varied genres of music, and receiving instruction from a teacher who is enthusiastic and encouraging. It is my goal to provide all of these opportunities for students, and as a result their lives will be enriched as they enjoy their instrument.
I am certified to teach all levels of piano via the Suzuki method.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
Alexander Technique International (ATI) is a world-wide professional organization created to promote and advance the work begun by F. Matthias Alexander. Its members include teachers, students, and friends of the Alexander Technique. ATI embraces the diversity of the international Alexander Technique community and is working to promote international dialogue.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · Online Maria is wonderful. We couldn't have found a better teacher if we tried. :-)
· Guitar · In studio Maria has taught my son for the past 5 years; 4 years in person, 1 year (so far) on Skype. We found her through a referral and it was the perfect fit. She was very attentive to his learning abilities and ambitions. He loves guitar but didn't want to play professionally however she never backed off on him. He has learned many styles and has gone through all levels of the Mel Bay Guitar series. James could easily have gone on to college and he plays better than some in the music program at his school, but instead he just keeps up with it for fun. Maria hooked him up with the guitar teacher at his college so he plays in the guitar ensemble, jazz band, and a worship band while taking FaceTime lessons with her once a week. He's studying to become a pediatrician but I'm so thankful Maria has really helped make music a lifelong outlet for him. James choose a very stressful path but I truly believe the guitar has helped keep everything balanced.
· Opera Voice · In studio I am so thankful for Maria. Coming out of college I didn't quite know what to do. I began taking lessons with Maria based on a referral but honestly wasn't expecting much. I will always feel horrible about that because she is the best thing that could have happened to me. I've grown more in the past two years than I did for the 5 years in undergrad. I've been offered a full ride to University of Houston next year but I will continue to sing her praises and work with her whenever I am back in town. I'm dreading that our last lesson is approaching because I couldn't have gotten where I am without her.
· Film Acting · In studio Maria has coached me for every audition and part I have gotten for the past 5 years. She was referred to me by another one of her students. She is worth every penny. I'm moving to LA as I've just been cast as a series regular on a new ABC comedy but will be coaching with Maria online. I will be forever her student. She's a complete genius.
· Ukulele · In studio Maria is patient with me as a beginner. She works with me on my level to play things that interest me.
· Piano · In studio I really enjoyed my first lesson with Maria. She was able to quickly assess my skill level and listen to my goals to create a custom plan that works best for me!
· Piano · In studio Great instructor.
· Piano · In studio Maira has been a blessing. She is very patient and is willing to work with students of every level. She is awesome!
· Piano · In studio Maria has been an absolute blessing for our family. Piano is something both my wife and I wanted for our children to learn, but having 4 boys where their interests are only video games and football, it can be difficult. Also since my wife and I are from from musical, we had absolutely no clue what to expect. We had gone through 3 other teachers where our kids didn't advance at all. Maria was our last try and we are so thankful for the referral.
Maria really connects with the boys and they absolutely love her. To top it off, she's very motivating, organized, and for the first time with any teacher, she had an action plan. We knew where are kids were with progress regularly. We also we informed how to keep them motivated at home and how to get them to practice. My oldest son (14) has gone through 3 levels in 1.5 years and has actually been asking about joining the jazz band at his school. My 3 other sons (6,8,9) have been steadily going through the levels and most importantly are able to apply what they are learning to music Maria doesn't teach them. My 8 year old was actually describing what a chord progression was the other day to his grandfather and used the word cadence. I had to google what that meant on my phone!
Her location is also perfect. As long as they have something to do, Maria doesn't mind them sitting in the living room while she teaches a lesson so it enables me to run to the grocery store or bank which are less than 2 miles from her home while the kids are in lessons.
We are extremely pleased with Maria and I would recommend her to anyone. She is worth every single penny. Our family will be moving to John's Creek this October and we will be making the drive once a week through Atlanta traffic happily.