- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- June 2011
Hello, my name is Lilia and I can't wait to meet you! I have a diverse background in teaching and offer private lessons in guitar, piano, and voice with a balance between theory, technique, and and ear training to help you play the songs you love to listen to.
Some background info on me:
I graduated from California Institute of the Arts in December 2014 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Guitar Performance. I started teaching dance and gymnastics while attending Palomar college in San Diego in 2011, then transferred to CalArts in 2012 and worked as a college writing tutor and a part-time dance and music teacher. After graduating from CalArts in 2014, I began working full-time as a music teacher and professional performing artist in the greater Los Angeles area and perform in San Diego and the San Fransisco Bay Area as well. In addition to teaching, I play the role of as the lead vocalist, guitarist, and composer in my rock band, called Karkaza. We are currently working on recording our debut album and playing shows in the greater Los Angles area.
My favorite part of teaching is knowing that I helped the student have a better day and give them a rewarding activity to look forward to every week. Feel free to reach out any time, and I am excited to help you play the music you love!
- Instruct students from Kindergarten through 6th grade at piano and voice in classroom settings ranging from 4 to 20 students.
Instruct with a combination of curriculum books, music-related games and activities, and ear training to teach the fundamentals of music theory and build a foundation of musicianship.
- Create specific assignments for the students to practice during the remainder of the week.
- Meet with parents, PTA, principles, and school office staff to discuss topics ranging from class scheduling, student behavior, and lesson planning.
- Instruct students age 5 to over 65 at guitar, bass, and piano.
- Experience levels range from absolute beginners to advanced.
- Teach using an integrated approach that combines classical and contemporary technique with musical theory that's relevant to the student's goals and preferred musical styles. Use a combination of curriculum books, handouts, and artist and genre-specific songbooks.
• Stage music performances that feature a combination of instruments, vocals, dance choreography, theatrics, and improvisation, incorporating both my original compositions and arrangements of existing pieces.
• Work one-on-one with musicians to teach individual parts within multi-instrument ensembles consisting of 2-5 members.
• Arrange rehearsals with individual band members as well as with the full group.
• Produce printed scores and audio recordings of each piece.
• Address and resolve any inquiries, needs, and concerns that could serve as obstacles to the musicians’ success in performance.
• Tutored one-on-one with college students to improve writing skills, with emphasis on organization, outlining, research, thesis development, proofreading, and reading comprehension. Encourage each student to develop his or her confidence and individual voice through writing.
• Worked with undergraduate and graduate students of various majors throughout the institute.
• Assisted English language learners as well as students with learning disabilities such as ADD/ADHD and dyslexia to increase proficiency in reading and writing.
Bachelor's degree in guitar performance with extensive training in music theory and composition.
Very helpful for a beginner. I've really seen improvement in the last couple of months.
My daughter has learned so much in a short time. Lilia is a fantastic instructor. I would highly recommend her.
Camille was happy with instructor,Lilia. She is looking forward to her next lesson.
Lilia has the most amazingly diverse set of talents ever ! She can teach you music , (guitar being the specialty ) gymnastics , or fitness . She is a fabulous , trustworthy person and you should sign up for lessons immediately !
I was Lilia's mentor at California Institute of the Arts for three years. She is a hard worker, very determined and disciplined and a very promising, unique artist. Although she is primarily a guitarist she is also a highly trained and accomplished gymnast and acrobat. I have no doubt that Lilia makes an exciting, flexible and compassionate teacher.+ Read More