- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I started playing music around the Kansas City area twenty five years ago. I graduated from The University of Southern California with a degree in studio/jazz guitar (cum laude). While at USC, I received a merit scholarship and an award for professional leadership and service within her department. I also graduated with honors from Musicians Institute (GIT), of Hollywood, CA.
I have toured the U.S. and Canada playing venues such as The Portland Rose Festival, The Playboy Jazz Festival, The Santa Monica Twilight Concert Series, Irvine Lake Blues Festival,The Burnaby British Columbia Blues Festival and the Long Beach Blues Festival. The headliners at these events included Robben Ford, The Neville Brothers, and Johnny Winter.
I have released two solo CD's that have received first-rate reviews, as well as international airplay. After the second CD, I was biographied for AMG (All Music Guide) the internet's first source for music information. Here are excerpts from the AMG bio:
... there are also elements of Jimi Hendrix (arguably the first true heavy metal/hard rock artist), Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughan in her playing, and she clearly has a strong appreciation of jazz--not only jazz-rock fusion improvisers like John Scofield, Larry Coryell and Mahavishnu Orchestra founder John McLaughlin, but also, straight-ahead bop favorites such as Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass.......eclectic outlook is one of her strong points; her ability to move from a tough, aggressive blues-rock groove to a more cerebral, fusion-minded approach to the occasional soul-jazz/hard bop number has made for some very unpredictable albums.
I have been teaching full-time for the past 15years. I have taught all ages and popular styles. In 2008, my blues guitar method was published and distributed through Amazon.
*** Lesson Details ***
I incorporate a tailored curriculum to help people achieve their personal goals. Learning music is not a "one-size fits all" proposition. I can show you the songs that you want to play. I can also teach you music theory, technique, improvisation, reading and more. I adjust your course of study according to your areas of interest. If you are dying to learn a Led Zeppelin tune, or are planning on auditioning for a college level jazz guitar program, I can help you achieve these goals. I have taught hundreds of beginners along side more advanced students. My students have gone one to study music at GIT, Fullerton College, Pasadena City College, Berklee, Cal State LA, and USC.
Most of all, I am extremely patient. The ability to playing a musical instrument is measure on a calendar, not on a watch. I often work at a slow, systematic pace. I am generally very laid-back. On the other hand, if you learn very quickly, I can readily show you the skills you need to meet your goal. I have fast-tracked many individuals that were seeking admittance to an academic program.
My teaching studio is computer equipped. This allows me to incorporate computer software that enhances learning. One such program, Band in a Box, generates accompaniment for students so that they can work on their soloing skills. Another program can slow recorded music down so that the student can practice slowly with it. Also, I often give out play-along practice CDs for improved learning.
The aspect of performance is often not addressed by many. I am able to work with my guitar students while accompanying by performing live bass or drum parts, or work with bass students while playing the guitar or drum parts. This allows the student to understand his or her roll in an live band.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Dedicated music room room w/ guitars, bass, drum set, pa system, and seating for parents
*** Specialties ***
I teach all popular guitar and bass styles.
I am a expert in Jazz, Blues, and R&B. (degree in Studio/Jazz guitar)
Great with theory, technique and reading.
Have given recording lessons with CUBASE.
Now teaching drum kit to beginners
Published guitar method book specifically for beginners wanting to learn blues..."Blues from the Beginning"
I have been giving private lessons locally for 14 years. Have taught guitar, bass, drums, recording and music ensembles.
Lesson available via internet 2007
Club gigs, private parties, festivals and tours
Guitar and bass lessons
Contract computer music editor for Yamaha Disklavier (player piano).
Guitar and bass instruction
One of three United States performing rights organizations, along with ASCAP and SESAC. It collects license fees on behalf of songwriters, composers, and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed. In FY 2013, BMI collected more than $944 million in licensing fees and distributed $814 million in royalties.
· Drum · In home Kimberly is knowledgable, organized, patient and helpful. I am grateful.
· Guitar · In studio HI KIM,
HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT DAY. I AM HAVING A LITTLE ISSUE
CHANGING LAUREN'S CLASS FROM 30 MINS TO ONE HOUR.
WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO ADVISE ME?
· Guitar · In studio Patience and informative , attentive to what I want to learn
· Guitar · In home I have enjoyed my first class. Now I have homework to practice.
Thank you very much.
· Guitar · Online Kimberly is amazing. sh has sparked a passion in my son that he didnt have before working with her. Thank you Kimberly
· Guitar · Online Daughter was very happy with lesson and instructor Kimberly and is eagerly looking forward to next lesson! Thank you!
· · Kimberly is an amazing musician and teacher. Her teaching techniques can make you the musician you've always wanted to be.
From beginner to seasoned player she can help you hone your skills. Let's say your not sure you want to learn to read music just yet. Her teaching methods can have you playing your instrument faster than you would dream possible. If on the other hand your interested in improving your your reading skills she can help you understand note placement time value neck geometry economy of motion.
Your welcome to do as many players do. Work on a song for hours on end picking out note after note after note till it feels like your going to die of old age. There you are ready to play at the family gathering the room get quiet you start playing singing " I'll never leave your pizza burning" from the back of the room comes your uncle with the runny eye runs up to you saying "hey Junior that's I'll never be your beast of burden I told you not to waste your time with that guitar"
Yeah we've all had something like this happens to us.
Have you ever listened to a song and thought was that a cat?Hawaiian noises? Is that even English? musically speaking Kimberly can unscramble an egg.She can tell you what that sound was how you can reproduce it or replace it with your own. She can answer all those musical questions you've wonder about. Is the hokey pokey really what it's all about? Why'd Yankee Doodle stick a feather in his hat and call it macaroni?
Whether your a serious musician or just starting out and want to have fun. You owe it to yourself book a lesson with her. Think of all your other projects the picture frame the Jewellery box Bird house. All that stuff is in the garage gathering dust right? High priced fire wood.
What you learn with Kimberly you keep forever. Money well spent
· Guitar · In studio I have been taking guitar lessons on my electric with Kim for about a year in her studio in the LA area. There are so many guitar instructors in LA, choosing one was very difficult. I relied heavily on reviews I read & a personal recommendation from a friend. Kim is exactly what I was looking for. She is laid back and down to earth (no rapping on the knuckles here!) but she conducts herself and her business just like you'd want her to - like a business. I sort of expect most musicians to be a bit fluid with their lives and their calendars. Not Kim! She tackles her work like a professional - on time, focused on you and flexible to meet your needs.
What I love about working with her is her flexibility. We started with basic guitar lessons - scales, chords, strum patterns, etc. It quickly morphed into her teaching me what I wanted to learn. A month in she asked me to make a list of my favorite songs. She wove the learning from there - blending just enough conventional guitar teaching into the lessons to keep it real - but focused on what I wanted - learning the songs I grew up with. I didn't want to learn to read music - so she stays on tabs. I am so happy and look forward to my lessons with her every week.
I would recommend Kim to anyone who wants to learn on their own terms.
· Blues Guitar · In studio I've been taking guitar lessons with Kimberly since the beginning of 2011. At the time I'd had several years of lessons using a traditional method on acoustic guitar and was looking for a teacher who could help me focus on electric blues rock and move me beyond my intermediate skill level.
Kimberly has a real focus on and talent for teaching. My lessons are tailored to meet my interests. A large part of the lesson is devoted to learning her method for blues soloing--at least 5 approaches to improvisation and comping. After several years, I've come to see how these approaches interweave, complement each other and have become an intuitive part of my musical vocabulary.
Also, because I expressed an interest, part of the lesson involves sight reading, learning blues and jazz theory, developing rhythmic playing sense, and learning a few favorite solos. Kimberly has an amazing ability to tab out and teach any song you give her. Which leads to the best part--after 6 months I was invited to play with one of her ensemble classes. While I was absolutely petrified with fear at the beginning, this has turned into one of the highlights of my week every week. It is just downright fun! It's a safe and forgiving environment where you can make mistakes and learn, or try things out that might flop, or turn into something cool. Every teacher and guitar magazine article all point to the need to play with other musicians to develop your skills and this is where Kimberly Allison really delivers. I feel that I could now sit in with other musicians and contribute.
I give my highest recommendation for taking lessons with Kimberly.
· Bass Guitar · Online I've been taking lessons with Kim, off and on as finances allowed, for 10+ years. Kim has a brilliant knack for being able to quickly assess what is needed to keep me moving forward in my study of music. We have primarily focused on bass with some guitar thrown in. That speaks to the flexibility and patience that this instructor possesses. She will keep lessons focused and moving forward,challenging me when it's called for, all in a gentle, affirming manner. I cannot speak highly enough about Kim's abilities both as a performing musician or as a music instructor. Nobody could go wrong with Kim as a teacher, she's been great!!