Males 4 to 18
Music lessons provided by Kendra C., Doctor of Musical Arts. Kendra has been teaching music to all ages for the past ten years in her own studio as well as in universities, arts academies, public and private schools, and summer camps. She graduated from Michigan State University in 2011 with a doctorate in Music Composition, and has had her original compositions performed by musicians in concerts and conferences around the world. Besides teaching, she has worked as pianist for ballet companies and as church pianist and keyboardist in both liturgical and contemporary services.
Kendra's students explore technique, expressive performance, reading and notating music, improvisation, critical listening, and music theory in a fun and creative format. The musical repertoire is selected according students' stylistic preferences, whether pop music, folk, classical, jazz, or sacred music.
Teach private music lessons to students aged 3-75, organize recitals, help students create their own covers and original compositions, and assist students in preparing performances and pursuing scholarships and competitions
Taught after school keyboard classes and organized piano recitals at four middle schools
Taught 5th grade music, also preschool substitute teacher
Taught Aural Harmony I - IV and Electronic Music classes
Taught Music Theory, Ear Training, and 20th Century Techniques
· Piano · In studio Kendra was very professional and knew exactly how to engage my 5 year old daughter. She loved it and can't wait for next lesson!
· Piano · In studio Kendra is a very soft spoken person. I look forward to my lessons with her.
She is a wonderful teacher who helps me to do my best! Thank you, Kendra!
· Piano · In studio Kendra teacher "today" music of your choice. Was refreshing, very nice and easy to learn from.
· Piano · In home Kendra has been teaching our 3 daughters, ages 11,8 and 5 for the past 6 months. She has been able to incorporate music reading, theory, technique and chords all while having fun and connecting with their hearts. She has encouraged creativity through self composition and uses music that is fun and captures their attention. My goal was to have them touching the keys more and instilling and love and learning of music and she has helped accomplish that and more. And so much, that I have decided to sharpen my skills by having my own lesson time with Kendra as well!
· Piano · In studio I have been a teacher for over 20 years and have had my own children in lessons throughout this time. Kendra is the most caring, fun, excellent teacher of piano I have ever had the privilege to observe. I am amazed at the varied techniques she used to instruct and motivate her students. They, at the end of their lessons, would be motivated, encouraged and ready to grow in their skills. I could go on and on . . .
· Classical Piano · In home We call Ms.Kendra the piano fairy in our house!! My daughter looks forward to her lessons and works hard because she likes her teacher. To increase my daughters interest level Ms. Kendra adapted my daughters favorite popular songs to her piano skill level. Its much more motivating to play something she recognizes!!
· Piano · In home Kendra is professional and always positive. She makes learning piano fun for the kiddos and they look forward to their lessons. I can't believe my little girls are already reading music! It's such a joy to watch!
· Piano · In home Kendra is an amazing teacher to my 7 and 9 year old children. She has really helped them progress into little musicians that can read and play music. They look forward to their lessons with her and truly enjoy playing an instrument thanks to Kendra! We are thrilled.
· Piano · In home Dr. Cota is an exceptionally gifted teacher!
Her training and education shine through in her mastery of musical theory and piano instruction, but she exhibits patience and wisdom that encourages and motivates students where they are at.
She is particularly brilliant with children. She has a way of connecting with children that is a unique gift, always finding a way to make kids comfortable and engaging them in fun and creative ways. Instruction is always tailored towards each individual students needs and goals. She has a special love and respect for kids that is palpable. She has a genuinely kind and warm presence, and is able to build kids up and motivate them, while pushing them to give their best.
Beyond that she is a top notch professional and one of the best at what she does. Parents find her to be gem; she is easy to work with, very professional and a blessing to their kids. I can't recommend Dr. Cota highly enough!
· Piano · In home My 4 year old daughter started piano lessons with Kendra in the fall of 2015. Being this young, I worried if she would have been ready and able to sit through a lesson. From the start, Kendra created an environment for my daughter to express herself, while still providing the structure needed to learn from the lesson. She has been a phenomenal teacher. She is patient, uses age appropriate engagement strategies, and knows how to scaffold a lesson so that my young child can successfully learn to play the piano.