- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello! I am a graduate of Berklee College of Music, with a Bachelor’s degree in Writing and Production. I am attending NYU as a graduate student at Steinhardt. I have been teaching privately for over ten years, and performing for over 20!
My first love is piano, as I began lessons at age 7. I wrote my first song at age 8 and started playing guitar the next year. I am an accomplished songwriter, arranger, producer, performer, teacher and director. I recently moved here from Boston where I was the Music Director at All Souls Church in Braintree, MA and performed jazz/blues, funk, and kid's music. I love teaching and excel at finding unique ways to teach music and keep it interesting! I want you to have fun and learn what you find most interesting so we will work together to reach your goals.
Along with instrument and vocal lessons, I offer tutoring in all subjects of music and songwriting, and specialize in offering lessons tailored to each student’s needs. I refuse to hand out a book and go from front to back - expect handouts, impromptu lesson material to help you learn any specific concept you may be struggling with, CD’s with study material, exploratory homework, and thinking outside the box! We will do whatever it takes to get you wherever you want to be.
*** Lesson Details ***
I focus my curriculum on the goals of each student, their needs and their abilities. Everyone is different, so every student should have a different set of goals and a unique curriculum to reach them! I want to offer the most well-rounded education possible, so we will be regularly evaluating your goals and the materials you are using to reach them. I am easy-going and realistic - if you aren't interested in what you are learning then you aren't going to practice. So lets have some fun!
I work with every age group and integrate the following into all lessons: Piano, Guitar, Voice, Drums
• rhythm - sometimes we will use our hands or bodies, or the drums or tambourine
• contemporary styles and songs - all my students get to choose their songs from my music library or their own!
• ear training - I help students to hear major and minor as well as the different notes of a chord. My singers work with solfege (do re mi) to gain early sight-reading skills
• singing together on simple songs - especially for young students to put them at ease and express themselves through music with something they already know (aka Twinkle Twinkle)
• scale work - I start my student young with the C scale and progress as each student can handle
• music theory - you won't even know you are learning it! My extensive training in this area allows me to find simple ways to teach these skills
• Performance technique: my voice students get to sing with a microphone and PA system to their favorite karaoke tunes and learn performance aspects. I also work with piano, guitar, and drums on performance skills.
• SONGWRITING: optional. I like to spend a class time every several sessions to help my creative students write their own song from start to finish! We can even record it if you like!
I work with several instruments in order to help my students get the most well-rounded music education they can until they choose a specific direction of their own (such as classical piano or acoustic guitar).
If you would like to focus only on one area, that is never a problem! I simply offer a variety of music lessons so that I can tailor the lesson to each student's goals. I will work with you to create a lesson plan.
Recitals are offered each Summer and Winter.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Studio: KORG weighted 88 key keyboard, acoustic and electric guitar and amp, PA system for performance in vocals, microphones. Parents may sit in on lessons or wait nearby. There is a library across the street, as well as a Dunkin Donuts.
For recording and production lessons, I use industry standards such as Logic Pro, Pro Tools, and Sonic. I give out weekly handouts and tailored homework assignments in most subjects. I can purchase books for students, or they can acquire the recommended books on their own.
*** Specialties ***
Young children music and piano 4 years and up; Piano; Voice - beginner and advanced; Musicality: can't decide what to study? I can work with you in a variety of areas including rhythm, percussion, songwriting, piano, guitar, singing, improvising, etc.
Wrote and performed in the musical Odor in the Court, to be performed at NYU in April 2014
Teaching voice, piano and guitar.
Wrote and performed in 300 The Musical, four live performances at NYU
Lead children's music group and adult choir. Accompanied and performed music services each week.
Worked with several children's pre-schools and other groups teaching group children's music.
Quartet consisted of vibraphone, drums, bass, vocalist - mostly jazz with Latin jazz, soul and funk mixed in!
Lead vocalist in band GB3, Boston
Assisted the Music Director of this large church with weekly music prep, leading choirs, assisting with children's groups, and solo performances.
lead Mass as Cantor once per month
· Singing · In home Katrina was patient and encouraging. I was nervous for my first lesson but she put me at ease.
· Piano · Online I've had lessons at her location and online. Katrina is an awesome piano and voice instructor!
· Piano · Online Awesome teacher! Makes the lessons suit what I need, makes sure everything is clear, already learned so much my first lesson!
· Singing · In studio Katrina is an amazing teacher who knows so much about the many subjects she instructs. I'm blessed to have found such a kind, amazing teacher.
· Singing · Online Katrina is really nice, and she sings like an angel. It helps so much to hear her do something RIGHT so I can try and emulate it. Look forward to continuing our lessons.
· Singing · Online Katrina does a GREAT job connecting with our daughter and helping her both play the piano and sing. We love that she's teaching her the technical aspects (notation) as well as playing by ear. Thank you, Katrina!
· Singing · Online Katrina was incredibly helpful and informative. When she wanted me to do something specific she used different ways of explaining how to shape my mouth and work on vowels. She is incredibly helpful and very accommodating!
· Piano · Online First lesson with Katrina yesterday and all I can say is SCORE! She was terrific and completely put our daughter at ease in engaging conversation. One of the things my husband said he was impressed with was the first question she asked our daughter is "why do you want to play piano"? We look forward to future lessons with Katrina as we think she will definitely help our daughter immensely with her personal and engaging approach to learning.
· Guitar · Online Katrina was great with our daughter. This was her first lesson with her and they did fantastic with each other. We feel like Katrina was able to relate to our daughter and assess what her needs and desires were.
· Piano · In home Katrina conducted a very comprehensive evaluation very efficiently yet in a calm manner. She gave time to discuss student interests and together they formulated goals. Her explanations were thorough and assignment for next week was clear.