Katie holds a Bachelorâs degree in Music from Central Washington University and a Masters in Trumpet Performance from Rutgers University at Mason Gross School of the Arts. Her principal teachers include David Krauss; Principal Trumpet of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Matthew Muckey of the New York Philharmonic, and Steve Emery of the Boston Pops.
As a trumpeter, Katie has appeared with the Rodney Mack Philadelphia Big Brass, The New Amsterdam Orchestra, The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, Sinfonietta Nova, the Yakima Symphony Orchestra, the Lake Chelan Bach Festival Orchestra and many others in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Washington state. Katie was also a semifinalist in the Ensemble Division of the National Trumpet Competition for three consecutive years and appeared as a featured performer at the International Trumpet Guild Conference in Boulder, Colorado. You can currently hear her as part of the pit orchestra in the latest Broadway revival of the KIng and I, now playing at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
As a private teacher, Katie has worked as a resident artist and teacher at the Luzerne Music Center Festival in upstate New York, and as a regular member of Play On, Philly! She maintains an active private studio in Montclair, NJ.
*** Lesson Details ***
I am primarily a trumpet teacher, but I also have experience with beginning trombone and french horn students. I like to tailor each of my lessons to the individual student, with general weekly playing assignments that help to expand each student's ability level.
*** Studio Equipment ***
H2 Recorder; student may review their lessons each week.
*** Specialties ***
Trumpet Instruction, Music Theory
Trumpet sectionals each week for students age 12-60. Coaching include fundamentals, theory, breathing exercises, and work on current repertoire.
Group trumpet instruction, ages 10-15.
A labor union representing professional musicians in the United States and Canada. Founding in 1896 as the successor to the "National League of Musicians," the AFM is the largest organization in the world representing the interests of professional musicians.
· Trumpet · In home Very patient. My son is looking forward to his next lesson.
· Trumpet · Online Katie is an ok teacher but I had a bad experience regarding a missed lesson. I was charged for a lesson ($60) that I cancelled 10 minutes prior to start time but called back 15 minutes later (that would be 5 minutes into our lesson time) to say we could make it. Katie had moved up another student and could not do our lesson but charged us any way!! If we were going to be charged for an hour of her time, she should have been available during that hour or at least given us 15- 20 minutes like the other teachers do. Also, if she moved up another student, why not let us take his spot?? The reason for their rule of charging for missed lessons is because the teacher misses out on that hour of income. Well she made double time during my paid hour!! What bothers me even more is that she cancelled one of our lessons just 2 hours before it was supposed to begin, and I was very understanding and accommodating. I did not give her a hard time or complain at all and just rescheduled. She didn't even consider returning the favor. Her lack of ethics really bothers me! Don't expect any favors from this one, she's all about the bucks!!! One word, "karma".
· Trumpet · In studio Excellent teacher with fun teaching techniques, my son, new to trumpet is improving rapidly.
· Trumpet · Online Katie is an amazing instructor. We've been with Katie for several years but tonight was the first lesson for my youngest daughter whom is just beginning on trumpet. Katie did a great job of calming the nerves while making the lesson both educational and fun. Looking forward to watching her skills progress as Katie works with her on future lessons.
· Trumpet · Online She is so kind and patient! My son thoroughly enjoyed his first lesson. Can't wait for many more!
· Trumpet · In home My son enjoyed it and is looking forward to the next lesson.
· Trumpet · Online Katie was very patient and encouraging during our daughter's lesson. She is a fun and excellent teacher. Thank you!!!!
· Trumpet · In studio My 1st Trumpet lesson with Katie went well. I need the actual exercise music that
we worked on ?? Also, I was wondering if we could do a lesson somewhere out in the open. Like a hall, church, or bigger room, maybe my apartment ??
Thanks a lot Katie for your expertise, it is much appreciated.
Sincerely...... Ron Hooper
· Trumpet · Online WOW!!!! All I have to say is WOW!!! I never thought I would have picked up the trumpet as fast as I did. Katie was def easy to get a long with and made it easy for me to pick up the trumpet.
· Trumpet · In studio Katie is the best teacher I've ever had. She's very patient with us kids even when we talk a LOT. For me personally, the best thing about her is that she knows where my problems are, and gives me the fastest way to overcome that problem. Stay awesome Katie.