I started taking music lessons at the age of 9. It began playing in the church and then I taught lessons in my home at the age of 16. I went on to attend and graduate from Christian Heritage College (now called San Diego Christian College) with a Bachelors Degree in Music and Business. I am now the Director of the Music Department at San Diego Young Artists Music Academy. I direct two youth and children choirs, a male chorus and a great adult choir. I also sing with the Voices of Prayze who travel with Jason Mraz from time to time. As a singer, pianist and as a teacher, I specialize in Gospel piano & vocal technique and repertoire. I also have a great deal of experience in Pop, R&B, and Classical so I am able to help students excel in these genres as well.
*** Lesson Details ***
As your private teacher, I can promise you a very soulful and rewarding experience – having fun is part of my lesson plan. My goal for each student is to build confidence through knowledge and experience. I will encourage each student to reach into their spirit and bring out what is already inside of them through the type of music that brings them happiness. After 3- 6 months of lessons from me pianist will be able to know beginning concepts, play songs of their choice by ear and note read simple songs also. Singers will know beginning vocal exercises, be able to project their voice, and sing high and low notes accurately to songs according to their ability.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Mic and Karaoke Machine
A Stage to Practice Performance Technique
*** Specialties ***
Gospel & classical
I am currently the Director of the Music Department at San Diego Young Artists Music Academy. I am also the Choir Director for the Children's and Youth choir based there.
I develop curriculum and teach piano, voice, and choir training at this facility.
· Singing · In home She was great!
· Piano · In studio Judy is professional, very nice and has great intuition on the needs of her students.
· Singing · In studio Loved his first lesson! Judy is very through!
· Piano · In studio I couldn't be happier with Judy as a piano teacher. We cover a vast amount of material during our lessons. She is fun, intuitive and very supportive of my efforts. I have taken piano lessons in the past, but I didn't really "learn" how to play. Judy provides a spectrum of materials which help me to not only play songs, but hone my skills and explains the "why" and "how" of the way music works in an understandable way. She also has a very flexible schedule, which helps greatly. I would highly recommend her.
· Singing · In studio My son who is going to be 17 loves his lessons with Judy always comes home singing and excited. She encouraged him and puts a lot of faith in his abilitys.
· Singing · In studio Judy is the best of the best! Every week I look forward to learning from her. I've worked with a couple other coaches previously and they do not even compare. Her heart is in the music and in the teaching. Would highly recommend to anyone no matter how much or how little training they have had.
· Piano · In studio Judy is patient while challenging and motivating her students.
· Piano · In home My daughter's first lesson was great! Ms. Judy was very patient and knowledgeable!!
· Singing · In studio Ms. Judy was very professional and we got right into the thick of things. She gave helpful advice and suggestions.
· Piano · In studio I had a wonderful first session with Ms. Judy. She was truly ready to help me meet my goals. She was engaging, encouraging and patient, yet challenged me to stretch myself. I'm truly looking forward to this journey..