Learn to play the songs you want to play.....
I am a professional performing Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter with 25+ years experience playing and teaching. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Jazz Guitar Performance from Temple University and spent 6 years performing in NYC with various groups and ensembles. I have studied and teach Classical guitar, Theory from both a classical and Jazz view point, Composition/Arrangement, Counterpoint and performance techniques such as repertoire building and maintenance.
*** Lesson Details ***
I will tailor the lesson toward you goals..... It's all about making music and having fun....
For beginning students we will begin with chromatic exercises to start building hand dexterity and comfort with the guitar as well as working out of Mel Bay's guitar method book 1 for note reading, or straight into chords and strum patterns. Intermediate students will be evaluated based on goals and will be given supplementary material to build repertoire of tunes in the style of your choosing....
If you choose I can delve into Theory, Improvisation, Composition or any of the other more advanced concepts to take you as far as you want to go and meet all your goals.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Dining Room, excellent acoustics, office has computer for lessons
*** Travel Equipment ***
Students should have own guitar and provide chairs, music stand, metronomes and guitar tuners. Access to computer is helpful but not required.....
*** Specialties ***
beginning to advanced guitar..all styles....improvisation.....jazz .... beginning classical.... rock, country, bluegrass performance including singing.... I try to get the student having fun playing music as soon as possible.... Students achieving success playing and (hopefully singing) songs that they like and are excited about is my goal.... building and maintaining a performable repertoire......
· Guitar · In studio My son he nust love him... He's pretty organized.. Before cancellation of class he gives a call without fail.... He knows very well how to teach kids...
· · John is an excellent teacher. He is obviously extremely knowledgable about music in general and the guitar in particular.He combines patience with high expectations of his pupils (at least this pupil).Very encouraging.I recommend him highly!
· · Patient and knowledgeable
John has been teaching my 9 year old daughter for several months now and I am extremely impressed with his knowledge and patience. My daughter looks forward to her lessons and practicing comes much easier and regular with John's laid back approach. I highly recommend John to anyone looking to take any level of guitar lessons.
· · Very patient. Great motivator. Excellent delivery of instruction and material. John makes learning guitar FUN!
· · John is a very calm and patient teacher. I have learned a lot in just 3 lessons and I always look forward to my weekly lesson.
· · John has been great in working with me in that he has been flexible and has shown me different ways that I can add practice to my days that will challenge me while still getting me to my goals. He is very positive and constructive so you want to leave your session and go right home and practice!
· · Hi John,I didn't feel prepared for my lesson and did better than expected. Thanks for your patience. You have a encouraging teaching style and I'm looking forward to improving my guitar skills.