- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I teach both academic subjects and guitar lessons.
For guitar: I have been playing guitar for nearly 20 years, in styles including rock, blues, folk, and finger style. I love playing songs by Leo Kottke, Mumford and Sons, Chris Smither, Walk the Moon, The Killers, The Beatles, and roots music like bluegrass and folk. I like to keep things fun in lessons and focus on building my students love of music.
For academic lessons: I earned my Ph.D. in Sociology from Southern Illinois University in 2009, and taught at South Dakota State University in the Sociology & Rural Studies department since then. I have been teaching at the college level for nearly a decade, and love helping people learn! I can talk about difficult subjects in plain language, and help students who are just shy of the grade they want earn that "A." I have had many students who started out hopeless, but who were able to learn things they never thought they could, and get better grades than they ever imagined, with my help.
I have worked with all kinds of students, some with jobs and kids, some fresh out of high school, and some working on getting their graduate degree. Helping them learn, grow as people, and accomplish their goals has brought me joy and satisfaction as I watched them succeed. Many have gone on to earn a Master's or Doctoral degree, or earn jobs as police officers, business people, and more.
· Sociology · Online Jacob is not only a fantastic teacher but an amazing mentor as well. He encouraged me to not just memorize the material but to engage with it on a deeper level. He also provided me and other students with essential advice on how to put together applications for graduate programs and his tips on how to put together a personal statement were a large reason why I was accepted into and received a scholarship for law school. I did and will continue to recommend Jacob to anyone!
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Really enjoyed lessons! Really wanted to learn songs by my favorite band and despite not being musically inclined, felt at ease and ready to learn. Jake was patient and really helped me be able to play my favorites.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online Jacob got me from no guitar experience to playing several fun songs in no time. He was super friendly and nice and answered even my stupid questions. I highly recommend him to anybody.
· Sociology · In studio Jacob J. has an amazing talent and ability as a teacher to explain things in ways that will make sense to a diverse group of students. He truly cares about each student and it shows in any class you take with him (in any field). Because of him I have pursued a field I never thought I would get into, which has helped me travel the world and has opened new opportunities for me, that I would have not had without the skills and knowledge I gained with him as teacher. Unless you do not like a fun and knowledgable teacher, I highly recommend Jacob J.