- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hi, I'm Heather. Iâm from a small town in Harford County, MD, called Abingdon. Itâs really close to Baltimore, MD which is about 15 minutes away from Abingdon. I live with my husband and two bunnies. Iâm an R.N. with a bachelors degree in Nursing and 16 years of training in music by masters of Curtis Institute, Julliard, and Peabody Conservatory. I have been teaching piano for over 12 years. In 2001, I had a diversion of career from nursing and I absolutely fell in love with the idea of teaching piano and I started giving piano lessons. I love playing my Masan & Hamlin grand piano for personal pleasure, and I spend a lot of time practicing for different occasions. I hâve played in over twenty piano recitals, and for numerous other occasions such as in Weddings , Funerals and in Choir accompaniments.
On a different note, did you know that children who study a musical instrument learn responsibility and discipline, they gain pride in their accomplishments which in turn makes them confident, they learn to think in a logical manner, and they will perform better in school. These are just a few of the benefits children could gain through music lessons
My Specialties: My passion is classical music, however, I realize that the students' interests are diverse, so, I teach pieces they request which include easy fun Pop Music, Hymns, Boogie, Rock, Country and other contemporary pieces.
My Education: At an early age, I took a great interest in music, so my older sister who is four years older than I taught me what she learned in her piano lessons. She also taught me music theory. At the age of 12-14 my parents sent me to private piano lessons. My piano teacher at that time eventually told me that I needed to find a new teacher because she had taught me all she knew. After that, I approached a well known Julliard Master in town. He took me on as a student after he heard me play the Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata in C minor. I learned through Arthur Fiddler's comment made in the newspaper that Mr. Chang, my teacher, in his opinion was the best piano teacher in Hawaii. Under Mr. Changâs tutelage, I was exposed to a variety of classical pieces written by famous composers of the 15th to 18th centuries. At the age of 14, I made my first piano recital debut. My piano teacher was impressed with my talent and expressed his wish for me to pursue music and enter into Julliard. But, my parents being immigrants from Korea, did not think it was a good choice of career. So, I went into nursing instead, much to the consternation of my piano teacher. In 2001, I made a career change and found my passion for music revived again. I started teaching piano as well as taking Music Theory courses at a community college and taking lessons from a Julliard- Peabody master as well lessons from a Curtis Institute master. I continue taking piano lesson even now while I give piano lessons to beginner and intermediate students.
*** Lesson Details ***
In my piano studio, besides just learning to actually play the piano, students will engage in flashcard drills, writing work, and other activities to strengthen their overall knowledge of music. This will prepare them well for continued study in piano, for playing other instruments or singing, and for enjoying music in general. As an incentive to practice, our studio awards each week piano dollars for the time each student practices during the week. At the end of the year, we have an auction that the children could participate in using their piano dollars to purchase items.
In first the lesson the concepts stressed include:
1. Hand position and posture at the piano.
2. Right hand , left hand, and how the fingers are numbered.
3. Direction on the keyboard
4. The pattern of keys on the key board
In the first year of piano study, the concepts covered are:
1. Theory: identify steps, skips, and repeats; write and recognize 2nd -5ths intervals; sharp and flat signs; identify key signatures
2. Rhythms: whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, and dotted notes.
3. Technique: correct hand position; curved fingers, down âup wrist for phrasing, legato/staccato touch, penta scales; major chords and voicing (balance of hands) 5-finger melodies; single line melodies divided between hands; note-against-note playing, some melody/chord playing.
4. Repertoire: A Dozen A Day by Edna-Mae Burmae Books; Five-finger melodies by Faber Faber; Famous & Fun Pop Books by Carol Matz ; Boogie, Rock & Country Level 1 by James Bastien; Alfredâs Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book Level One for adult beginners.
In addition to lessons each student is required to participate in an annual piano recital to give them experience and confidence in performance.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living Room: grand piano, couches and chairs, parents can sit in on lesson
*** Specialties ***
To teach the skills in playing the piano, the classical genre is preferred in the repertoire.
Piano lessons are given at the Music and Art Center from 2012 to 2016.
· Piano · In studio Heather was wonderful in getting me back into the piano! As an older student I was apprehensive at first, but she was very positive and made me very comfortable. She was very helpful and brought me a long way in a short period of time.
· Piano · In studio She's good
· Piano · In home learning different technique's, which is the key. Heather is very patient, and makes the experience fun. Looking forward to future lessons, and increasing my skills.
· Piano · In studio Great first lesson. Heather made me very comfortable. She was well organized and prepared with lots of materials to match any level of skill
· Piano · In studio Heather is great with my 5 yr old grandson!
· Piano · In home Fantastic first lesson!!
· Piano · In studio She was awesome!!!!
· Piano · In studio Heather was very patient and informative. She really took her time with me. I can see myself growing pretty quick with her as my instructor.
· Piano · In studio Heather is first piano teacher for my son. We are so happy to chose her! She is so nice and professional person. My son really enjoying every class.
· Piano · In studio Heather has helped to ignite interest in Music in my 8 yr old daughter. We are glad we chose a teacher, who helped us get exactly what we wanted.
I believe, as a teacher, Heather has more to offer and we plan to continue lessons with Heather for my daughter.