Hello, I am an actor, musician, and teacher from Portland Oregon. I am a graduate of the California Institute of the Arts and founding member of Los Angeles based performance collective Poor Dog Group. I have taught guitar, bass, ukulele, and voice in Los Angeles for over ten years. I am also a theater teacher and acting coach with over six years of experience. I like to include all aspects of performance in my lessons. My main goal is to instill confidence and sense of experimentation in your artistic practice.
I am currently a Teaching artist at the lovely New Heights Charter in Los Angeles. There I teach theater and acting to students from kindergarten to eighth grade. I integrate music, performance, and social skills into our daily ritual of artistic encounters, and engage my students with real challenges customized for young artists.
I have been an actor and teaching artist for 24th Street Theater for over 5 years. I was an ensemble member for 24th Street's field trip show "Enter Stage Right" for four years before I became host of the show. I was a part of 24th Street's Lab24 ensemble and helped them develop plays and programs for their theater season as well as community outreach. I have also been a teaching artist for 24th Street's after school program where I worked with students of all ages.
Music Composition, Sound Design, Research, and Live Performance.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
An American labor union representing over 160,000 film and television principal and background performers, journalists, and radio personalities worldwide.
· Ukulele · In studio Awesome instructor! Very personable. Made my son feel at ease.
· Ukulele · In studio Andrew is great! He tailors the lessons to my goals and is patient with my learning process. Highly recommended!
· Ukulele · In studio Very challenging and knowledgeable regarding his craft. I look forward to additional lessons.
· Acting · In home Andrew is outstanding. Very professional, focused and lively. Good sense of humor. Knows what he's doing!
· Ukulele · In home Really nice guy and have lots patience. And help me a lot, highly recommend.
· Guitar · In home Last year I finally took the time for myself to take some formal guitar lessons, and was fortunate enough to have found Andrew through a friend-of-a-friend. Every week on and off throughout 2015 we had 90 minute sessions, which were some of the most engaging and useful lessons in my educational history. We began with learning some American folk songs that I have always loved and wanted to be able to play, and we used those songs as a launching pad to expand my technical skill and musical understanding in general. By the end of my lessons with Andrew I had more confidence playing chords and scales, I had a better idea of what it takes to improvise, and I felt more confident playing with other musicians of all skill levels. He is a hilarious and serious guy, enormously patient, a wonderful guitar teacher and player. I would highly recommend him to anyone of any age group as a music teacher and I hope to start up again with him soon when my schedule permits it.