*Only Available for lessons before 3PM- ALL TIMES AFTER 3PM ARE FULL*
2016 Joan Frey Boytim Independent Voice Teacher Award Winner!
I am a professional singer living in Grand Rapids, MI with a passion for teaching. My goal is to help my students become good musicians while sharing the joy and love of music with them. I have a Bachelor of Music from Grand Valley State University in Vocal Performance and a Master of Music from the Chicago College of Performing Arts in Voice Performance. From humble beginnings, I have maintained a busy studio since 2011. Since then, I have helped dozens of students excel and grow as singers several of whom have gone on to study music in college.
I hold membership in the National Association of Teachers of Singing, Sigma Alpha Iota and Michigan School Vocal Music Association. Through these organizations, my students have the opportunity to perform and be adjudicated by other music professionals, they also have the opportunity to compete for scholarships.
**** Due to time constraints and construction traffic in Grand Rapids, I do not offer lessons from your home ****
~What can you expect in our lessons?~
I strive to help my students become independent musicians as well as more confident singers. We work diligently to create healthy, well supported sounds. Whether we are working on classical music or pop music, it is all rooted in the same techniques. I emphasize proper breathing, support, posture, resonance, clarity, pure tone, power without pushing, and building vocal range.
We will always start by warming up. I use exercises designed to target the specific areas I've outlined above. From there, we will work on building technical skills based on the students need and skills.
My young singers (under 6th grade) will use the book "Singing Lessons for Little Singers" in their lessons.
***We will not work on songs until the student is comfortable reading basic solfege melodies.***
We will work extensively on the use of solfege until the student is comfortable reading music. This can take a month or more depending the students abilities and practice habits.
After the student is comfortable with solfege and reading music, we will find repertoire that will provide appropriate challenges and opportunities for both growth and success. I always welcome input from students for styles they would like to sing.
I especially love working with beginning students helping them build their technique, learn about music, and find their voice. Some of my most successful students have had no experience singing before taking voice lessons.
~What styles will we work on?~
My training has been centered in classical music but I also am an avid lover of Jazz, Musical Theater, and Singer/Song Writer, Folk, and Pop music.
~Lessons in my studio~
I have an electric keyboard, computer with printer, and a sitting area for parents to observe while their children are working and learning. My studio is also pet-free.
Working with students of various ages and abilities vocal technique. Students are given various performance opportunities such as The Piano Cottage Rocks! recitals and concerts in the community.
Teaching students the fundamentals of proper singing technique through fun exercises in an encouraging and positive environment.
Working with a diverse range of students students from the Academy of Music's state-of-the-art studio on basic vocal technique, music theory, and songs.
Working with the students at Wealthy Elementary in the East Grand Rapids Schools on their fall Variety Show and spring Musical production. Helping run and facilitate both shows. As the co-director working closely with the production staff, running the musical, choreography, and staging rehearsals.
Completion of Vocal Pedagogy Course at GVSU.
Our mission is to educate and inspire all people to understand and value the art of vocal music and its lifelong impact on the human spirit.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
· Broadway Singing · In studio Individualized lesson is on point. Incorporates the student personal goals, but challenges them to get out if their comfort zone.
· Singing · In home EMILY said"that was super fun". I'm delighted as her grandmother thank you
· Audition Prep · In home My daughter loves her. She was extremely flexible and able to fit us in on very short notice.
· Singing · In studio Wonderful experience. She was very patient and a great listener.
· Singing · In home My daughter loves going to Elizabeth. She is fun, energetic, and keeps her students engaged throughout the lesson. The best money I have ever spent! My child is SO happy and her voice is developing beautifully! Thank you!
· Singing · In home I reached out to Elizabeth having no knowledge of singing at all, but this didn't deter her from taking me on as a student. Going into the first lesson I was extremely nervous and having second thoughts. After leaving that first lesson I found I would have a new hobby that I would passionately pursue and that there was no reason to be nervous.
Elizabeth is a great teacher with a matching personality that makes you feel as comfortable as possible (which is great when you are a complete beginner to singing like I am) and makes the learning process interactive and fun. She is quick to respond to any questions and will give you exercises to practice at home as well.
I have learned a lot more than I thought I could about my voice in such a short time. My voice, knowledge, and confidence have all improved. I would recommend anyone to take voice lessons with her!
· Piano · In home Elizabeth was very friendly as well as professional. She was very knowledgeable and I felt like I received good instruction. I would highly recommend her for beginning piano lessons
· Singing · In studio Elizabeth is an extraordinarily talented woman who has helped me fully recognize my potential as a vocal artist. I've taken just under 10 lessons with her over the duration of the summer and have actively watched myself grow as a singer as well as a person. Elizabeth is kind-hearted, fun-loving and always managed to neutralize the environment in order to make me feel comfortable and confident. With Elizabeth's exceptional teaching skills I was able to dramatically alter my unique sound, strengthen my technique, and completely erase the bad habits I was exhibiting beforehand. I'm extremely grateful for the time we've spent together and wouldn't be surprised if I scheduled lessons every time I come home from college! I am proud to say that during this experience not only have I gained an incredible amount of vocal instruction but I have also gained a dear friend.
· Singing · In studio I love my lessons with Elizabeth! I've taken five so far, and I already feel I've improved a lot. I feel much more confident while singing, and what I've been taught has really helped to improve my breathing, voice, and understanding of music theory and how voices work. She's always open to questions and will explain anything you might misunderstand or are confused about. From the beginning, I've felt very comfortable with her, and always look forward to our lessons!
· Singing · In studio With help from Elizabeth, my voice improved dramatically in a few weeks. She was encouraging and helpful during lessons, explaining clearly things I could do differently. Additionally, I felt very comfortable in front of her instead of nervous and shy.
She really is an excellent teacher.