- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello! Thank you for your interest in taking guitar/piano/music lessons.
I am a professional teacher/studio musician/performer/producer with over 17 years of private teaching experience and a graduate of the University of Miami Studio Music and Jazz program in 2002 specializing in the guitar.
I am available to teach guitar(acoustic, electric, classical) for all levels, ages, and styles(pop to folk, rock to soul, world to classical) in English, Spanish and Japanese.
Other subjects taught include bass guitar, piano/keyboard, ukulele, banjo, mandolin, harmonium, classical percussion, music theory, composition(all styles from pop to classical), ear training, and studio production/engineering/mixing.
Born in Cali, Colombia on April 1979, I began my musical endeavors studying the piano at the age of 6. Early on I had the opportunity to play percussion in the school symphony while at the same time developed an intense interest in the instrument that would become my true love, the guitar.
During 1996-98 I studied jazz guitar at the New World School of the Arts music program under the direction of J.B. Dyas and Dr. Roby George. Upon graduation, I was immediately accepted to the University of Miami jazz guitar program under the direction of Randall Dollahan. It was during this time that I also refined my skills as a classical guitarist and as a composer/arranger. In addition, I began passing my knowledge onto friends and eventually began working as a teacher.
My ability to play almost any genre of music is the fruit of past experience playing with an impressive variety of music groups, including jazz combos, symphony orchestras, Andean world music ensembles, and several rock and pop groups as well. As a studio guitarist I have recorded for various artists including Jaci Velasquez, Carlos Ponce, Alexandre Pires, and Noelia.
*** Lesson Details ***
Now also available to teach online video chat lessons through Skype.
Every one of you is unique and there are many possible paths to reach your goals in music.
With my background and music industry experience, I am able to customize my lessons for you so that you can reach your desired goals. We will take some time to find out where your passion lies in music and I will use my experience and knowledge to create a customized lesson-plan that will allow us to focus on reaching your desired goals and at the same time maintain a well rounded music education.
I find this to be key in making the lessons and your practice sessions very enjoyable, fun and laid back - knowing that everything we practice, play and talk about is in line with your goals as a student.
I will also be playing along with you and demonstrating everything that we're working on - music is meant to be shared and played with others and it is important to have that experience of interaction from early on in your lessons.
So whether it's learning to accompany yourself or others, write songs, read music, understand harmony, solo, or just jam out to your favorite songs, you will be well on your way to reaching your goals within 6 months of my lessons.
Look forward to making music with you!
Want to learn a quick exercise for mastering the fretboard on your guitar? Check out my article on the TakeLessons blog here: http://takelessons.com/blog/guitar-fretboard-chart
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room w/ grand piano and seating for parents.
Room/studio with professional recording equipment - Logic Pro X recording software, Mackie HR824 Studio Monitors, Miktech C4 Tube Microphone, UA6176 Preamp/compressor, Apogee Duet D/A converter.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide my instrument and teaching materials.
Students provide their instrument, music folders.
*** Specialties ***
All styles - pop, rock, classical, jazz, blues, folk, ethnic, latin, soul
Private and group music lessons for guitar, piano, recording, ear training, composition, Logic Pro, bass guitar.
· Banjo · Online Very patient and helpful.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online
· Banjo · Online Edwin is very kind, patient and encouraging! This was my first lesson, it was an hour long and he could tell when I was struggling with a specific segment of instruction and had me try something different that allowed me to keep moving forward. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn from him!
· Flamenco Guitar · In home Edwin was a professional and patient teacher. He took time to correct my technique and sent me home w/ things to practice. Two thumbs up!
· Ukulele · Online Edwin quickly found where I needed the most help (strumming patterns), and within minutes was guiding me through progressions to help me make progress. He also gave me some lessons on notation and helped me write some progressions down so that I could practice between now and our next lesson. He listened to my goals and taught in a way that will help me meet them.
· Guitar · In home Keeps the lesson moving and is very positive with feedback.
· Banjo · Online Good Instructor, Taught Me Alot About Tuning and The Names Of The Strings.
· Ukulele · Online
· Ukulele · In home Loved working with Edwin. Looking forward to more lessons with him.
· Ukulele · In studio So far so great!