I am a 30 year old Massachusetts native and have been playing music since I was 8 years old, starting on the piano with a wonderful teacher in Beverly who also went to Berklee. I picked up the guitar and the bass in high school and got into rock, jazz and blues and haven't looked back. I received a bachelors degree from Berklee in 2012 with a major in Professional Music and minor in Music Education.
I currently perform in and around Boston with several bands and also build electric guitars and perform all types of repairs and modifications. I also will teach this skill if you are interested...
Music study is great exercise for your brain. It works both the left and right hemispheres of the brain simultaneously because you are thinking both creatively and logically/mathematically at the same time.
I am happy teaching students at any level, even if you have never picked up an instrument before. I can work with you and get you on the path to being the kind of musician you want to be.
*** Lesson Details ***
I custom tailor my lessons to meet a students individual needs. I am a serious teacher, but I am a laid back person. I am easy going, but I will make sure you learn what you need to learn. I can guarantee after 4 or 5 lessons with me, you will have tripled your knowledge of chords, scales, technique, and song repertoire. I am very patient and am happy to work with students of all ages and skill levels.
I encourage mid to upper level students to bring in CD's or email an MP3/YouTube link of songs they want to learn (if they are at the right level) and I will transcribe them on the spot and go through them with you step by step.
If you want to learn how to play all your favorite songs, I am the teacher for you. I won't make you play music you aren't really interested in, but I will make recommendations for songs to improve your playing and include music theory so that you understand what you are playing and why you are playing it. The point of playing music is to HAVE FUN, after all.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Fender Blues Jr. III guitar amp, Vintage Gallien Kreuger guitar amp, Carvin/Peavey Bass amp, Epiphone 1 x 12 guitar amp, custom thin line telecaster, custom solid body telecaster, vintage synsonic electric guitar, breedlove acoustic guitar, Tacoma acoustic bass, Schecter stiletto 5 string electric bass, Ibanez soundgear 5 string bass, custom stratocaster, vintage synsonic single coil guitar, 5 string banjo, , Diamond Head tenor ukulele, u-king soprano banjolele , M-Audio oxygen 8 midi controller, Blue Mic USB microphone, Eurorack mixer, shure microphone, 2011 Macbook pro w/ Sibelius, Pro Tools, Garage Band, Reason. Full lutherie shop equipped to do custom builds, guitar set-ups, mods.
*** Specialties ***
Picked and fingerstyle acoustic or electric guitar, Fingerstyle or picked bass guitar, ukulele, improvisation, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Hip-Hop, Bossa, recording, lutherie, etc.
I have tutored freshman music students at Berklee while attending classes there and have been teaching out of my own studio for three years.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Guitar · In studio Dave was great. My daughter appreciated his style and ability to communicate.
· Ukulele · In home David was very well prepared, very patient. He has a creative mind and is passionate about teaching.
· Guitar · In studio David is a wonderful teacher moving at a strong pace to get as much done in a short time as possible. He comes to the lessons very prepared with lots of great material to help the student learn and improve. Very knowledgeable and wonderful to work with. I highly recommend David as a teacher.
· Guitar · In studio Very personable and knowledgeable! Already can't wait for my next lesson!
· Bass Guitar · In studio So far, so good. After only 5 weeks I'm already playing along to a couple of recordings of songs I like. I have lots of musical experience, but never picked up a bass guitar before this past January. I'm really enjoying the lessons. David is a great teacher and I expect to be around for a long time.
· Ukulele · Online Dave is really great - sent me very helpful materials, and suggested songs that I enjoyed and were easy to play. I was playing after my first lesson!
· Ukulele · In studio Dave is a great teacher! I'm playing songs I never thought I could figure out but because Dave really knows music he can always help me learn new ways to play the songs I love. He is a talented teacher and musician. He is always helpful in answering questions and is great a encouraging me.
· Ukulele · Online Great!
· Bass Guitar · In studio Had a fabulous experience with Dave. He taught my 13 year old son and was very patient and flexible. We had to change dates sometimes and he was very flexible...in addition Dave was patient and changed his approach a couple of times to help my son become more interested in bass going forward! Thanks Dave!
· Guitar · In studio Dave is the man!!! He is an excellent teacher and curtails the lessons to what you want to learn and not just out of some book. He is also great at explaining the functions of the scales or chords you are learning as well as picking great songs in order to showcase those elements. If you are looking for a great guitar instructor, look no further, Dave is your guy! And his cat is pretty cool too...