- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Dave K. began playing guitar at the age of 10. His influences include Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Guthrie Govan, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pat Martino, Pat Metheny and Scott Henderson. At the age of 17 he began teaching private guitar and bass lessons to classmates from his neighborhood high school. It was through this initial experience with teaching that he realized he wanted to make music education his career. Since then he has taught private guitar and bass lessons at Naperville Music, Rossi Music, Horizon Music, and the Plainfield School of Music. In addition, he has taught orchestra, guitar, and jazz band at Rolling Meadows High School.
In 2000 Dave graduated from the University of Northern Illinois with a degree in jazz and classical guitar where he studied with world-renowned fusion guitarist Fareed Haque. In addition, Dave has studied guitar with some of the best guitar players in the world including Dave Uhrich and Andy Timmons.
In 2003-2009, he produced and played guitar in the Chicago based hard rock group Disonic. In 2007, Disonic singed to Darkstar Records and released the E.P. The Value of Truth. The Value of Truth was distributed in the USA and Japan. In addition, it was distributed digitally world wide on iTunes, Amazon, and CD Baby.
In 2009 he attended VanderCook College of Music and earned a Master’s Degree in Music Education. Currently, Dave is playing bass in the Chicago rock group I Decline and guitar in the Dave K. Group. This year, Dave is releasing his first solo instrumental guitar album under his own name. In addition, he continues to teach rock, jazz and classical guitar and bass in the Chicago area.
*** Lesson Details ***
As a private music instructor for the past 15 years, I personally have been granted the opportunity to teach a wide variety of music students. I have taught students ranging in age from 6 to 65. I have taught students from various ethnic and economic backgrounds. I have taught students with various physical, emotional, and learning disabilities. Regardless of the situation, I have always approached each lesson with the idea that every student deserves my best efforts as a teacher. This is because I believe that everyone, regardless of age, cultural heritage, ability, or financial circumstance deserve the opportunity to participate in the best music experiences possible.
I believe that everyone has the ability to learn to play a musical instrument and achieve success on it if they possess the desire to do so. This is because music is a vital part of the human experience. Music has the ability to turn ordinary life experiences into extraordinary ones. Think of everyday events such as: waking up in the morning, commuting to and from work or school, going through the work or school day, going to dinner with a friend or loved one, going to a sporting event,watching a movie or television show, or working out at the gym. Now, picture what these everyday events would be like without the presence of music. Without music, these experiences would be extremely dull and we as human beings would not be able to full appreciate the wonderful moments in our lives.
As a music educator, my promise is to guide my students through the journey of learning to play music so they can experience the joy that it brings into their lives and the lives of others. I promise to help my students realize their full musical potential. I will always treat each student equally with fairness and respect, provide the best possible atmosphere for their growth, and recognize that each student is unique in how they learn and grow.
Lesson Topics Include
Music reading (Tablature, rhythmic notation, and standard notation)
Technical mastery of the instrument (Proper left and right hand technique, chords, scales, arpeggios, etc...)
Rhythm and counting
Repertoire (chosen by the individual student with the aid of the teacher)
*** Studio Equipment ***
Fender 2012 Jeff Beck Stratocaster
Fender 1992 Standard Stratocaster
1980 Gibson Flying V
1994 Washburn N4
2005 Washburn X50PROF
1996 Washburn HB 35
Fender 1965 Twin Reverb Amp
MacBook Pro loaded with Pro Tools, Finale, Garageband, Live, Guitar Pro 6, Band in a Box
*** Travel Equipment ***
Guitar and materials. Student should also have guitar and materials
*** Specialties ***
I am able to teach all styles of music but specialize in all forms of Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Classical
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Guitar · In studio All Good
Dave is thorough and knowledgeable
Looking forward to future lessons
· Guitar · In studio Great teacher, I'm learning a lot. Can't wait to try what I learned after every lesson. Working with Dave will have you shredding in no time.
· Banjo · In studio Dave has increased my banjo skills greatly since I started taking lessons.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Very patient with beginners!
· Guitar · In studio Dave's teaching style made me feel at ease and I found my first class informative, and, very inspiring.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Really enjoyed the professionalism and cleanliness of the studio.
· Guitar · In studio Great first lesson. Never been musical but the instruction taught me stuff first time.
· Guitar · In studio Excellent! I am very excited. He is a GREAT Teacher!
· Guitar · In home Dave has a great deal of knowledge but his best credential is patience , which is important to an older learner like myself.
· Guitar · In studio Dave personifies an experienced guitarist and a great choice for anyone wishing to learn to play the instrument. He introduces students to technology that proves easy to use, a great help in practicing, and finding music online. He accommodates my preferences for the instructional subject matter and for the songs that I wish to learn. Dave interacts with students in a very supportive manner, not a hyper-critical one. I highly recommend him.