I am a graduate of Valparaiso University with a degree in Music Education. I specialize in instrumental music, meaning that I have deeply researched and performed on most common instruments for band and orchestra. I am equally comfortable teaching any of these instruments through the high school level, and to returning adults.
I have experience teaching band and orchestra full time, and teach out of my own studio. I occasionally perform on the side, on my primary instruments: oboe and percussion.
As my student, you will find that I am good at making the process of making music very easy. You will be successful almost immediately, and find yourself constantly challenged and improving.
*** Lesson Details ***
While every lesson is individually tailored to the student and instrument, most lessons will include work on the following:
Instrument Basics/Method Book
Music for Performance (the fun stuff)
*** Specialties ***
Able to hand make oboe reeds for oboe students. Can perform various minor instrument repairs, depending mainly on the repair needed.
Taught 30 to 40 music lessons weekly. Responsible for managing daily operations of this business.
Quit this position to start my own music studio!
Full time music director/teacher for this school system. Taught band, choir, and general music during the school day, and managed all after school music related activities.
Moved to Texas with my wife, when she took a full time job in Bryan.
Taught orchestra full time for students from 3 to 8th grade.
Teaching Certification from Indiana. Texas certification takes 6 months to process, and is currently in process.
· Ukulele · In studio Professional, courteous, and knowledgeable!
· Trombone · In studio Dan is a great instructor And I couldn't go anywhere else. He is very patient with my 11 year old who often has many questions. Dan will answer and then redirect back to the lesson. It is obvious to me that Dan has the heart of a teacher and is very encouraging. He is professional and organized which makes it super easy for me.
· · Mr. Coffey is an outstanding teacher, musician, leader, and organizer. Private lessons with Mr. Coffey will yield excellent results in musicianship, artistry, and professionalism.
Jeffrey Scott Doebler, Ph.D.
Director of Music Education and Bands
· Trumpet · In studio I have come a long way musically since beginning lessons. Very helpful, also flexible availability.
· Violin · In studio Mr. Dan is a fantastic instructor! My daughter loves going to practice, and has always felt at ease with Dan. He really takes the time to explain everything very clearly and makes it fun. And, I cannot even begin to explain how encouraging and positive he is with his students! I would highly recommend him to anyone who is interested in lessons for themselves out their children.