I have studied, performed and taught the violincello (the cello), electric bass and contra-bass (acoustic, upright or double bass) for over two decades. I have played in symphonies, orchestras, chamber music ensembles, rock , blues , R&B, funk, and bluegrass bands, jazz combos, and Indian kirtan ensembles, performing everything from Beethoven and Tchaikovsky to Stevie Wonder and Miles Davis. Among numerous outstanding players and teachers, I have studied with Cameron Sawzin of the Boston Virtuosi as well as with renowned bassist Victor Wooten at his camp in Tennessee and California.
I take an intuitive approach to my lessons, focusing on the feel and tone of the music. I have found this to be the fastest and most effective way for my students to learn. I also put emphasis on technique, specifically healthy posture and body alignment in relation to your instrument.
You should take lessons with me if you want to realize your dream of becoming a great auditory artist . I never employ pressure tactics with my students. I only facilitate inspiration, knowledge and understanding. I love teaching and sharing the Joy of music with others. Working with music for so many years I have become aware of the fears in our society surrounding playing music and learning a new instrument. I help my students to see through these fear-based thought patterns compassionately and patiently so that they can truly Make Their Musical Dreams Come True. All ages welcome. It is never too early or too late to start!
15 years plus , experience
· Cello · In studio Understands cello deeply. Is patient with me as I learn. Very flexible teaching style.
· Guitar · In home Daniel is a very patient teacher. He understands where your weaknesses lie and concentrates on those areas. He is always on time and very conscientious. I would recommend him for any beginner especially.
· Drum · In studio I had a great experience learning drum with Dan.I have zero experience with drum, I asked Dan to help me play a song based on the video I like, he figured out how the drummer did it right away and taught me different style of playing it.
He is very patient and professional on what he is teaching. He knows how to help me to process different drum beats on my own pace, and encourage me to try out new things in each lesson. After taking his class, I enjoy playing and practicing drum on my spare time.
I am very happy to learn drum from Dan, and recommend him to people who is interested in learning or improving their music skills.
· Cello · In studio I would highly recommend Daniel! He has a true gift for teaching in a way that supports students to blossom in their own unique way. A deep listener with a talent for finding what lights up each person's musical inspiration; Daniel is patient, supportive, and a talented musician. I left lessons feeling inspired to practice instead of obligated to. Best teacher I ever had!
· Bass Guitar · Finally a teacher I can learn from!
Dan came over to my apt and was very polite and a good listener. I told him what I wanted to learn and the types of music I liked. We talked for a bit and I instantly felt comfortable. After a good laugh we launched right in! I found his teaching style to be invigorating! We "jammed" on the first chord pattern he showed me and it actually sounded good. After a few more tricks I was hooked. I left my first session with Dan feeling not only inspired, but also informed. I had material to practice. Dan is a very fun, smart, broadly trained talent to learn from. I highly recommend him. A true musician!
· Music Performance · Awakening
I invited Daniel as a guest teacher into my junior high classroom, and I witnessed a very natural and compelling interest awaken from both he and the students. He has a very humble and direct way of sharing his knowledge and skills, which includes Socratic teaching, and (an) awakening (of) interest and enthusiasm. My students immediately felt very comfortable in his presence, they gained a lot, and they left the class feeling inspired to further feed their curiosity on the topic.
Julie Q., Nevada City, CA
· Bass Guitar · Contagious
Daniel has the groove and he knows how to transmit it. From my fist lesson he had me playing the bass in a way that was intuitive and fun. He is a highly skilled musician, but it's the way the music is flowing through him that is contagious. He also knew right where to point me in the areas that I needed the most help. Two thumbs up and a clap.
Koda, Nevada City, CA
· Upright Bass · I can't say enough about Dan- He is patient, knowledgeable and fun!
Dan is a musical wonder! His bass technique is flawless in any genre, and he is calm and patient, with a great sense of humor. He can also teach music theory and improv. If you want to really understand what you are doing, and love it, make Dan your teacher and mentor.....you will be glad you did!