I've been teaching piano, cello, voice and theory in Los Angeles for over thirty years, helping students develop their particular interests in music and to encourage them to reach their personal goals. I love the classics and many of my students want to play popular music, contemporary sounds and jazz and that is fine too. I received my BA in music at UCLA and a Master's at Cal State Northridge. I conduct vocal and bell choirs, run a concert series, play chamber music, sing in a band and teach in the Community College District in addition to running my private studio.
*** Lesson Details ***
My students work on technical skills such as playing scales and chords at the beginning of each lesson since these are the building blocks of the music we wish to play. I expect students to practice but I understand that life is complicated and some days that may mean you only have ten minutes. I try to explain that a little bit every day will help you become a better player rather than working for two hours the day before a lesson. I have lots of good books that I assign that have fun materials with strong melodies. I design everyone's program according to their desires. After a half year, a beginning piano student might expect to be able to play the three essential chords ( the ones that harmonize so many songs) while playing the melody in the other hand. Cellists can expect to be able to play at least four scales, some in two octaves, and understand the notes in the first position within six months.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Room for parents to wait, dedicated music space, Yamaha piano, great acoustics for singing
*** Specialties ***
Classical, Popular, Contemporary, Christian
· Cello · In studio I am 43 years old and was scared to take on such a difficult instrument but I really wanted to learn how to play the beautiful cello. I had my first lesson and am very happy with Claire. She is friendly, accommodating, patient, and explains her lesson in a clear and easy manner (as easy as you can get with the cello). I had a lot of questions and she was very open in answering all of them. Although I am still at the very very beginnings of my journey, I am very excited to continue with the cello lessons, thanks to Claire.
· Cello · In studio The first lesson was excellent. I completed my first private cello lesson since playing about 44 years ago. It was wonderful. The teacher is very organized and very nice. I thought maybe the lesson would be a lesson of remembering what I had forgotten from so long ago, but I actually learned new things. I'm excited to attend the next lesson.
· Piano · In studio Claire works at your pace, but expects you to progress at a steady rate. It's the perfect balance between understanding the student's ability and reasonable expectations for advancement.
· Piano · Claire is a very good teacher!
I started my piano lesson with Claire one month ago. She impressed me with her excellent piano skills, great enthusiasm, positive personality, effective teaching methods, encouragement, and patience. I feel very excited at making progress under Claire's instruction. She makes learning piano become a fun enjoyable thing to me. Claire is the right teacher for students who want to learn and to have fun, too.
· · Unique and Amazing Teacher
I am very happy to find such an experience musician and real musical educator for my daughter. Clare has superior teaching skills, nice personality, positive attitude. Her lessons are motivational and encouraging. My daughter is always happy and exited to go to her cello lessons. I would highly recommend Clare for the musical lessons. She is a very unique teacher.
· · I couldn't ask for a better instructor. Claire is great! She's fun, flexible and has so many ideas to help you understand the techniques and notes better. She makes the lessons so interesting that I'm always excited to come home and start practicing!
· · My granddaughter loves her lessons with claire. I'm very happy to have found her and the service from take lessons is great. They are courteous and professional. I'm happy I found this instructor.