***Hello all! In May, I'll be moving out of the NYC area and up to the Hudson Valley. I'm likely not taking on any more NYC students, but you can always inquire, as online lessons are always a possibility!***
I’m Chantilly… Hello and welcome to my Takelessons info page!
My philosophy is all about zeroing in on your personal strengths and building up new skills around them. Studying with me will help your technique, boost your confidence, and will be the foundation of a prosperous creative future. It’s my personal goal to make sure you have a great experience!
I have a formal musical education, with a degree in composition from Purchase College, (Regina Spektor also graduated from this program!), 6 years of experience as a solo performer, and worked extensively in recent years on writing songs, and releasing recordings (my producer plays keys for Ingrid Michaelson! )
My most recent highlights include placing my songs in an independent film, as well as the show Dance Moms on Lifetime TV :) See videos below.
I’m also a founding member of NYC group, and am currently running songwriting and performance workshops through them. I work with industry executives from Island Records, Razor and Tie Publishing, the Agency Group Booking, and more. This gives me fresh perspectives on current music, and how to approach a successful career!
(If this is your aim… I’m also just as happy helping people whose sole goal is to learn to sing better in the shower!)
I have been a teacher for 6 years, specializing in one-on-one lessons, loving the thrill of helping students grow to their fullest potential.
I realize that there are a lot of options out there, and am honored to be considered for your needs!
*** Studio Equipment ***
- Extra guitar available.
- For voice, I record our lessons, and send you Mp3's after each lesson as a practice tool.
*** Travel Equipment ***
- I bring my guitar, and expect students to have their own.
- For singing, it would be best if students had a program like Garage Band to record, and practice to the lessons.
• Creating engaging lessons for 8-18 5th grade students.
• Finding ways to convey why topics like like harmony,
melody, rhythm, and structure are important.
• Incorporating the fundamentals of reading music- including
notes, keys, and time signatures.
• Facilitating music listening and discussion sessions.
• Creating lesson plans for each student, with a focus on
songwriting and performance.
• Assessing and executing learning styles best suited to students.
• Building new skills over time- examples would be new chords,
rhythmic patterns for guitar. Breathing, vowel shapes, and
intonation exercises for singers.
• Preparing songs and repertoire.
• Tracking progress and encouraging growth.
• Counselor and mentor for campers aged 6-17
• Writing and implementing curriculum plans.
• Guitar teacher topics included chords, tabs, playing smoothly,
rhythm, and solo/ improvisation.
• Songwriting teacher topics included song analysis, music theory,
• Managing rock bands of up to eight children; guiding song
selection choices, and working out arrangements.