Music is my LIFE!
After more than 25 years of teaching at music camps, music stores, 3 colleges and my home, I completely understand that the lessons are all about YOU, the student: what you want to learn, taught to you in a way that works for your brain and personality.
And if you don't know exactly what you want to learn, that's OK. We can figure that out together as we go along learning the basics.
I help students learn to play songs by artists they like.
I also help students write songs, or put chords to their existing lyrics.
For those who are interested, I teach note-reading (not required) and theory (not required) and ear training (not required).
The lessons are always tailored towards your (the student's) goals.
I also teach classical and fingerstyle guitar for the occasional person who specifically wants either of those styles.
My purpose as a teacher: help people have a fun experience, learning in an organized way, adapted to your learning style and goals, while learning to do exactly what you wanted to do when you decided you wanted to play the guitar.
In 1994, I was let go from my job at a music store because I was sick. Which sounds awful, but was the best thing to ever happen to me- it was then I got over my fears and became a full-time musician, teaching and writing and performing. I have never looked back! I may not be a household name, but I am living the dream.
Whether you want to sing to your kids or play for an audience of 50,000, or just play guitar for yourself, you first have to get started.
Wait no longer! The guitar is calling!
Perform original humorous songs for festivals, concert venues, house concerts. 5 indie CDs of humorous songs released. Aired on Dr. Demento, Sirius XM, the BBC, numerous college and community radio stations.
teach weekly private lessons in a music store.
teach class guitar (35-45 students) with 2 other teachers. Short private lessons daily. Prep class to perform 3 songs as a group by week's end, and each individual to perform a solo at week's end. Perform at faculty recital. Play volleyball, dance, be goofy.
teach small classes (6-8 students) of adult students (14 and up). Prepare for concert performance at the end of the week, individually and as a class.
private weekly lessons (sometimes duet lessons with brothers or father/ son).
private weekly lessons for students majoring in music as guitarists. Also, lead weekly guitar ensemble.
private weekly lessons for college students, on campus.
private weekly lessons at a studio in the store
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Guitar · In studio Great first lesson! Looking forward to the rest of my lessons. Carla is a great teacher and very knowledagble.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home I have now had 3 lessons with Carla. She is an excellent teacher who definitely puts in the time to make sure your lesson is tailored to your needs. She has exceeded my expectations already. Awesome !
· Guitar · In studio Carla is always willing to go the extra mile to help her students make progress!
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Just one lesson in but I'm really looking forward to this. I have a little bit of guitar background, but Carla put together a path forward to help me to advance. Great instructor!
· Guitar · In studio Always a pleasure to take a lesson with Carla,
· Guitar · In home Carla is an awesome guitar teacher. She is patient, communicates well and is intelligent.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Carla is easy to talk to, learn with and makes learning comfortable. She goes out of her way to find new music to try and I appreciate all that I've learned in just a few lessons.
· Guitar · In studio Excellent startup process for newbies as well as advanced. Puts you at ease to focus on the learning process. Highly recommended!
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Patient, organized, talented, great teacher!
· Guitar · In studio Carla sent me home with so many songs/chords to practice on my own after our lesson, so prepared! I learned much more from just our first lesson than I would have thought. She also was fine when our lesson ran overtime, some instructors will cut you off right at 30 minutes. Very helpful, can't wait for the next lesson!