I have been playing drums for 16 years and have taught professionally for a respected music studio in Connecticut. I have played in numerous bands and toured the United States, Europe and Central America. The styles I teach are Rock, Jazz, Latin, R&B/Hip-Hop, Funk/Soul, Reggae, Folk/Indie, Metal/Hardcore and World Rhythms.
I teach drum-set and various types of hand percussion such as bongos, djembe, darbuka/doumbek and congas.
*** Lesson Details ***
I've always thought that learning should be fun. I consistently try to bring a creative and laid-back approach to teaching drums. After the first lesson most students realize that I don't take myself too seriously. Sometimes certain techniques or exercises can be tiresome or even boring. When this occurs, I switch gears and move on to something else. In my opinion, if a student is getting very frustrated it is generally best to relax and try a different exercise or beat. If we can't enjoy ourselves then what is the point?!
*** Equipment ***
I expect a student to have at least a pair of sticks and a pad. Eventually they will need a metronome for practicing and if they are serious a drum-set at some point. If you'd like to learn hand percussion I recommend having a hand drum of some kind.
*** Specialties ***
The styles I teach are Rock, Jazz, Latin, R&B/Hip-Hop, Funk/Soul, Reggae, Folk/Indie, Metal/Hardcore and World Rhythms. I teach from the heart and develop a natural feel for my students. I also use multiple books mixed into my teaching.
I have been teaching drum-set lessons and hand percussion lessons in and around Los Angeles, CA since 2009.
I taught drum-set lessons at Jim Clark's music studio in Stratford, CT before relocating to Los Angeles, CA.
Jazz Studies Percussion Bachelor of Music Degree
· Drum · In home Brian is a very intuitive teacher. I was a drum student of his when he lived in Connecticut. He was able to unlock my creative ideas on the drum set in ways I never thought possible. I highly recommend Brian to anyone looking to learn drums on a deep level.
· Drum · In home Truly the most talented drummer I've ever had the pleasure to witness and work with. Brian continues to astonish me with his ability to take the complicated and make it practical and simple. Words cannot possibly describe the gift the gods have blessed this man with...not only have my drumming skills increased but my inner knowledge of life has been blessed. I would pay for your first lesson because I know you will not be let down, Brian is an ironclad guarantee!!
· Drum · In home Brian's experience and passion for drumming become apparent during the first lesson. He is a talented musician and a wonderful teacher, adjusting the pace of each lesson to match your needs and your level of skill. His ability to play numerous styles makes him an ideal teacher for those up and coming drummers who don't want to get locked into playing one particular type of music. I've been playing drums for as long as Brian has, but even with all of my experience he has still helped me branch out and incorporate new techniques into my repertoire. Whether you are a beginner, looking to learn the basics, or an experienced drummer, looking to hone your skills in a particular area, Brian is a great teacher to turn to!
· Hand Drums · In home Great teacher. It's not about rushing you through the lesson, its about making sure you're learning WHAT it is you're supposed to. If you are looking for someone with patience, knowledge, that can teach well, and play even better, quit lookin'.
· Drum · In home Brian is one of the most gifted drummers I've ever met. His teaching style is extremely relaxed. Every time I meet with him, he puts me at ease. Brian makes learning an instrument fun. His approach is direct and straight to the point. He's also very perceptive and focuses specifically on what he feels I am having trouble with the most. I have been taking lessons from Brian for over a year now, and I cannot believe how much I have grown as a musician. I am even playing in front of my friends now. My confidence is high and owe it all to Brian!