Music has been an integral part of my world, playing a major role in both my personal and professional life. I embrace the chance to be immersed in it, to share my enthusiasm for and expertise in the area of the music education experience, promoting creative development and student performance skills.
I am an original New Yorker but have lived in Virginia Beach for the past 12 years. I began studying piano at the age of 8 and have not stopped playing since. It is a gift and a joy to be able to share my love of music performance with people of all ages and abilities. I have also sung in many choirs in addition to performing professionally on the piano and the guitar, both as a soloist and ensemble member.
I rejoice in the success that I see in my students as they learn and gain an appreciation for the gift of music. They become more and more eager to share and more and more open to the possibilities ahead.
*** Lesson Details ***
I listen well to my students. They are free and encouraged to express their goals and soon, they become more and more comfortable doing so. They begin to understand that even though I am their instructor, we are working as a team and that my goals for them are directly tied to the goals they have set for themselves.
My teaching style is natural, relaxed and yet, very enthusiastic, all at the same time. I have patience in abundance and my continual student affirmation is well received. I give most attention to personalizing instruction for each of my students. My passion for musical expression is contagious and readily shared. It is a joy to teach music, to contribute to the growth and delight that I witness through a student's progress.
I have taught music to both children and adults, from beginner to advanced levels. My teaching approach remains the same, save for the goals that suit the specific student, which we discover early on, sometimes even at the first session, together, right from the start. My beginning students receive the attention necessary to encourage their desire to persevere, which includes positive feedback (which is abundant) and a teaching style that fits his/her level of learning. My student's success is my goal. This is my jubilant mission.
*** Studio Equipment ***
*** Travel Equipment ***
I own 4 guitars, 1 classical, 2 acoustic/electric, and 1 electric, which I can provide for the lesson, if necessary.
I own a Baldwin Acrasonic piano.
The students will need to buy their books.
*** Specialties ***
Methods: Clear presentation of the instrument and the most comfortable way to achieve the best playing results. Emphasis on Theory including chords and improvisation.
Styles: From Classical to Broadway to Folk to Rock to Jazz to Blues.
Private Instructor of piano, guitar, voice, music theory, music composition and music performance.
Private piano, guitar and voice lessons Instructor.
Performed a variety of musical pieces for residents, including singalongs and requests taken from all attendees.
· Guitar · In studio Very personable and takes the time to listen. She's also very patient
· Piano · In studio time very well-spent!
· Piano · In studio I'm retired and finally getting around to learning piano. Barbara is moving me quickly according to my ability so I learn and stay challenged.
· Piano · In home My granddaughter took lessons from Barbara for 2 months, and then had to stop due to personal circumstances. During the time she was with Ms Barbara she learned a great deal and made a lot of progress. Barbara was patient and understanding and put the lessons to my 6 year old granddaughter in ways that she could understand. If our circumstances should change in the future I would definitely bring my granddaughter back to Barbara for piano lessons. Thank you Barbara - I think you helped instill a love of piano in my granddaughter!
· Guitar · In studio She keeps my son on task and learning quickly.
· Guitar · In studio Barbara is fantastic. She is makes learning music fun with grounded basics and fundamental teaching. The environment is welcoming and well suited for music learning. Barbara has helped Lauren move her music knowledge forward in one session that was very meaningful. Lauren was able to practice her guitar later that evening stress free with joy and confidence. Lauren has been dreaming of taking guitar lessons for a while and this first experience has been s dream come true. Thank you takelessons for helping me to connect Lauren and Barbara.
· Piano · In studio I had a musical background growing up. I played the piano and the cello for years and sang in several choirs. I also took piano lessons for a number of years as a young adult - but, when I came to Barbara, I hadn't touched a musical instrument for at least 3 decades. For me, what makes Barbara extraordinary as a teacher is that, even with all the musical background I have, she brings out music in me that I never knew was there - and we laugh a lot too - you can't do better than that!
· Guitar · In studio Barbara is a fabulous teacher. She keeps my son on track while still making it fun.
· Singing · In studio I would like to write a follow up review about Ms. Barbara.
I have been taking singing lessons for about 5 months with Ms. Barbara.
When I came to Ms. Barbara I had a few hurdles I needed help and assistance in. The end goal was to be able to have my performance on stage. Ms. Barbara composed the right vocal exercises for me to practice so my voice becomes stronger and more stable, that the breath taking is correct and will allow me to hold the notes i need better and even sing high notes.
I went on stage feeling happy, excited and confident. My performance was a success!
Thank You Ms. Barbara!!
· Music Performance · In home Barbara is very musical, very talented and very attuned to my needs. She is not only a singing teacher or a pianist, she is all and more. Most importantly, she is a mentor.
I highly recommend Barbara.