An experienced piano & voice teacher who has taught hundreds of students in the Lansing/East Lansing area . Ages range from five to adult. I've coached voice students for auditions in school/community musicals. I've coached piano students for music performances in recitals and solo & ensemble festivals. I am also a Registered Music Therapist who has taught simplified piano lessons to students with special cognitive and physical needs. I have taught in students' homes, in my own home and at music stores. I received both a bachelor's and master's degree in music from Michigan State University. I am caring, loving and motivating toward my students. I communicate well with people at all levels. I modify music teaching methods to meet each student's level of learning.
*** Lesson Details ***
I expect my students to practice daily, bring completed homework assignments in music theory to each lesson, listen carefully and attentively to my instructions, try new techniques, ask questions, and be consistent in attending their lessons each week. I use the Alfred piano methods for children, older learners and adults, along with the Schaum Keynote Speller (Primer and Level One) for beginning piano students. If students are interested in branching off into classical music repertoire, I concentrate on musical selections that they choose from various classical composers. If they are interested in more easy-going, popular music/broadway musical selections, then we concentrate on selections that they choose.
For voice students, I use the Estelle Liebling Vocal Course for vocal technique skills; and I allow them to choose songs that they are interested in learning, whether it be popular music, broadway songs, church music, or more formal styles of music. After 3-6 months, the piano students will have learned all the basic skills in reading music, developed finger coordination and sight-reading skills, and advance to a higher level of piano performance. Voice students will have learned all the vocal techniques, breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, music theory related to reading music, expressive music techniques, and performance techniques.
*** Studio Equipment ***
stand up piano in living room seating for parents
*** Specialties ***
Alfred Piano Courses (Children & Adult), Estelle Liebling Vocal Course,
· Singing · In studio Barbara is a kind and caring instructor who is willing to look for additional resources for her students. I really appreciated her added efforts.
· Singing · In home Barbara is excellent for someone like me who simply wants to learn to sing in tune. She is very non-judgmental and patient.
· Piano · In home Barbara was really great, friendly and understanding of the needs and interests of my daughter. A very good match.
· Piano · In studio Excellent teacher!!
we really appreciate her :-)
· Singing · In studio Barb is wonderful and kind. An excellent voice teacher for a beginner!
· Singing · In studio She was very personable, and understanding. Definitely made me feel more confident in myself.
· Singing · In studio Barbara is a wonderful teacher. She's kind, patient and knowledgeable about her craft. She has a genuine passion for teaching the joys of making music and song, and is always quick with words of encouragement.
· Piano · In studio She was kind. She was a good player, I like listening to her piano.
· Singing · In home Barbara is a great instructor. She's very knowledgeable and patient. She always encourages me even when other people are critical. Her kindness and encouragement have helped me become more confident. My singing has improved significantly, and I've only had five lessons so far. I highly recommend her.
· Singing · In studio I had a great time learning with Barbara these last few months before my Grease Auditions. She helped me develop more confidence in my singing abilities. She accompanies me by playing the piano wonderfully as she helps me through each note and song. I am thankful for my time with Barbara and her caring personality.