- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Amir Korangy is a seasoned actor, director and educator with thirty years experience in US and UK.
He has produced and directed over a hundred plays ranging from classics to contemporary in UK and US. In addition to his extensive stage work his acting credits include the lead in Breath of Life which received a BAFTA nomination as well as guest starring roles for BBC, HBO, Channel Four UK, London Weekend Television, Thames Television, Granada, Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, CBS and ABC.
He has worked as visiting professor at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, E 15 Acting School, University of Essex, Italia Conti Academy, The School of Science of Acting and Pepperdine University‘s London Program.
From 2003 to 2011 Mr. Korangy held the position of Director of Acting Program at the prestigious Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London under the presidency of Dame Judi Dench. He is currently Guest Director and Faculty member at American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
TEACHING AND ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
2012-Present 2011 2003-2011
Guest Director/Faculty – American Academy of Dramatic Arts, Los Angeles
E 15 School of Acting – University of Essex, UK
Director of Acting Programme/Associate Principal Academic Affairs (Responsible for management and delivery of MA, BA (Hons) Performance and MA Directing Courses)
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, London, England
• Line managed 10 senior academic staff and over 50 freelance directors and tutors working within Acting, Voice, Movement, Film and Television Departments
• Managed the programme through a series of successful revalidations of BA and MA Performance courses - Received 4 commendations from University of East Anglia for the most recent revalidation
• Lead the Acting programme through successful reaccreditations by National Council for Drama Training as well as Trinity and OFSTED inspections - the courses were rated as Outstanding by all of the above organisations
• Co-wrote MA in Directing validated by University of East Anglia
• Wrote Postgraduate Diploma in Acting for recorded Media
• Co-wrote MA in Classical Acting
• Chaired University of East Anglia/Mountview BA and MA Exam Board
• Produced (Chose the Play, cast, venue, appointed artistic team, budgeted, supervised and
assessed) 15 internal productions, 4 Shakespeare touring productions and 8 full scale public productions in various London theatres per annum
Administrative and Financial Management
• Managed an annual teaching budget of over £1.5 million
• Maintained student recruitment at financially viable levels
• Supervised internal quality assurance and enhancement of standards Chaired Curriculum
• Managed the delivery of student welfare and support
• Contributed to the writing of institutional policies and procedures
Management of External Links
• Supervised Students’ participation in RSC workshops
• Managed School’s participation in Wanamaker Festival at Shakespeare’s Globe
• Supervised involvement with Carleton Hobbs Competition at BBC Radio
• Developed links involving the production and editing of Films between Northern Film
Schools at Leeds Metropolitan University, Mountview Academy and Royal Academy of Music
Teaching and directing responsibilities
• Taught Classes in Acting, Actor and Text, Scene Study, Directing, Greek Tragedy, Greek and Roman Comedy, Shakespeare, Moliere, Ibsen, Chekhov, Wilde, Granville Barker, Coward, Epic Theatre, Beckett, Pinter, Non Naturalistic Drama, British Political Theatre, Howard Barker and American Social Realism.
• Directed over 50 productions at Mountview
• Managed and participated in all student assessment processes
2002/2009 Visiting Professor of Theatre History, London Program Pepperdine University, Malibu USA
1997-2003 Head of MA and Postgraduate Performance Courses Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
1995-97 Director of Projects
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
The School of the Science of Acting, London, England
1993-95 Senior Acting Tutor
The Blair School, London, England
Film Technique Tutor
Italia Conti Academy, London, England
1990-93 Senior Acting Tutor-Acting for Film London Academy of Acting, London, England
1987-90 Acting and Text Tutor
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, London, England
1982-87 Theatre Arts Tutor
Madeira School, Virginia USA Gunston Art Centre, Arlington Virginia
OTHER RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
2005-2010 Chair of Exam Board
University of East Anglia/Mountview Board
Major contributor SCUDD (the Standing Conference of University
Drama Departments) in conjunction with PALANTINE (the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Dance, Drama and Music) on Teaching Stanislavski in the UK
2008 Member of Steering Committee
Trinity Guildhall, UK National Diploma and UK National Certificate in
2007. 2007 Panel Judge- E4 Scholarship Competition E4 Television Programme
2008. 2008 Development Board Advisor 24 hour Plays, Old Vic Theatre
2008 External Advisor - Review Panel BA (Hons) Acting, Arts Institute
2005 Key Speaker on Diversity issues–Panel Member Raising the Bar- Theatre 2005 conference, Barbican, London
2003 Member of MA Validation Panel
Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow, Scotland
1990-1996 Associate Member
Continental Drift Theatre Company
Production Company- Film Development Company
Film Craft Ltd- Film Development Company
ACTING AND DIRECTING EXPERIENCE
BRITISH ACTORS’ EQUITY/SAG/AFTRA
Film and Television work includes Farid Sadri(2nd Lead) in Stepping High for Boarder Productions(Harmony Gold) directed by Henri Charr, Yusuf Khan (Guest Star) NCIS Los Angeles for CBS, Turkish Ambassador (Co Star) in Scandal for ABC, Rashid Badoon in When the Lies Run Out for LWT UK directed by Paul Greengrass, Ambassador Ghassemi in Hostages for Granada Television and H.B.O. directed by David Wheatley, Salah Al Gharib in Civvies for B.B.C. directed by Karl Francis, Lead role of Arash in BAFTA nominated Breath of Life for Channel 4 directed by Navin Thapar, Iranian Negotiator in Bullseye for 21st C. Film Corporation directed by Michael Winner, Wine Steward in Batman for Warner Brothers directed by Tim Burton, Embassy Official in Leave to Remain forChannel 4 UK directed by BAFTA award winning director Les Blair, Sina in Capital City for Thames Television directed by Sarah Hellings. as well as co-starring roles in Colony for USA network and Scorpion for CBS.
Music Video, commercial and voice over experience includes work for Starbird Productions, Dispatches, Channel 4 UK, American Express, Comet, Red Label Tea, I.C.I, Credit National Bank, DDI Productions, TFX3 CD ROM Flight Simulation Game, Barclays Bank Commercial, Air Crash Confidential for UK Discovery Channel.
Stage work includes Hassan in UK premiere of Big Time at the Gate Theatre, London, directed by Toby Reisz, Moradi in Café Nostalgia at the Polish Theatre and tour. Orgon in Tartuffe, Peter in The Zoo Story, Angelo in Measure For Measure, Cassius in Julius Caesar, Vladimir in Waiting for Godo, Hickey in The Iceman Cometh,.Don in American Buffalo, Eben in Desire Under the Elms, Buddy in Come Blow Your Horn, Don in Butterflies Are Free, Ronnie in House of Blue leaves,Clive in Five Finger Exercise.
Directing work includes Homecoming, Dumb Waiter and Betrayal by Harold Pinter, A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney, Vanities by Jack Heifner, Showroomby Matthew Bentley, Crystal Clear by Phil Young, The Crucible, The American Clock and After the Fall by Arthur Miller, ‘Tis Pity she’s a Whore by John Ford,Schweyke in the Second War by Berthold Brecht, Miser by Moliere, Tales from the Vienna Woods by Odon Von Horvath The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, Epitaph for George Dillon by John Osborne The Rimers of Eldritch and Fifth of July by Lanford Wilson, Lie of the Mind by Sam Shepard, Suddenly Last Summer, Night of the Iguana and Orpheus Desending by Tennessee Williams, Waiting for Lefty, Awake and Sing, Paradise Lost andRocket to the Moon by Cliford Odets, Hush by April De Angelis, Bloody Poetry and Belin Bertie by Howard Brenton, Top Girls by Caryl Churchill, Whale Musicby Anthony Minghella, The, Iron by Rona Munro, Skylight and My Zink Bed by David Hare, Eastern Standard by Richard Greenberg and numerous works of Shakespeare and Chekhov.
Produced over 80 Public Productions at various London Theatres for Mountview (List of plays and venues are available upon request.)
Languages: Fluent Persian (Farsi as spoken in Iran and Afghanistan), Basic French and German Accents and Dialects: Standard American, American South, New York and Persian and other Middle
SAG-AFTRA represents approximately 160,000 actors, announcers, broadcast journalists, dancers, DJs, news writers, news editors, program hosts, puppeteers, recording artists, singers, stunt performers, voiceover artists and other media professionals. SAG-AFTRA members are the faces and voices that entertain and inform America and the world. With national offices in Los Angeles and New York, and local offices nationwide, SAG-AFTRA members work together to secure the strongest protections for media artists into the 21st century and beyond.