[My studio is not set up for video recording/playback and therefore not appropriate for film/television students.]
Stage actors and acting students: are you preparing for an important audition? I can help you understand your material better and connect to the work in a personal, unique way that will help you stand out as a candidate.
Business professionals: is that speech you have to give, or presentation you have to make feeling a little too daunting? We'll work on that together drawing on experience both in the corporate world and on stage to ensure that your message comes across loud and clear.
I have directed over 40 projects for the stage in San Diego and coached students who have been accepted at NYU's Tisch School, financial advisors preparing to wow their clients and motivational speakers requiring a little confidence building, some relaxation techniques and even some personal motivation of their own before addressing huge audiences of eager acolytes.
I continue to work as an actor on stage and in television, as a playwright and as personal coach.
"[Mark] has been one of the most positive influences on my playwriting career and in my life in general. He has been wonderfully generous both to me and to a horde of other young (and established) theater artists in sharing his knowledge and talent." Jim Knable, playwright
"Of all the directors who have staged plays for me since 1986, none has contributed so consistently as [Mark] to the quality and growth of the Playwrights Project . . . . He is a caring and reliable colleague, a principled man who believes deeply in the importance of theatre in a civilized world." Deborah Salzer, Founding Director
*** Lesson Details ***
If you've got an AUDITION coming up for a stage play - I can help you with PREPARATION by giving detailed feedback on what you've already accomplished, suggest plays to choose a monologue from, and polish your audition to get you the role in as few as two one-hour sessions.
For students looking for PERSONAL ONGOING COACHING:
Beginning stage actors will explore how to work in your voice and your body. You will learn to use relaxation and breathing techniques, along with exercises in both memory and sensory exploration.
Experienced stage actors will work in greater detail and depth to find new ways to move you on to the next level.
You will select and prepare audition material and explore those parts of you that can best bring the character to life.
With consent from your director, stage actors preparing roles can get that extra time and feedback you want.
*** Specialties ***
acting for the stage, auditioning, public speaking, script analysis, directing, playwriting
working one-on-one and with small classes in 6-week workshop settings
focusing on new plays
companies in San Diego include North Coast Repertory Theatre, Coronado Playhouse and Playwrights Project
roles in Shakespeare, contemporary American and British dramas and comedies, musicals, feature films and episodic television
soliciting un-produced plays for staged readings and commentary to benefit the playwrights
courses in Acting and Intro to Theatre
selecting plays and staging readings of new works that focus on the experience of being Jewish in America
The Dramatists Guild of America was established over eighty years ago, and is the only professional association which advances the interests of playwrights, composers, lyricists and librettists writing for the living stage. The Guild has over 6,000 members nationwide, from beginning writers to the most prominent authors represented on Broadway, Off-Broadway and in regional theaters.
An American labor union representing over 160,000 film and television principal and background performers, journalists, and radio personalities worldwide.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
· Method Acting · In studio Marcus was great! I had a very insightful first acting class and cannot wait for the next! Great studio, comfortable atmosphere, and overall a really productive class. Thanks!
· Acting · In home I took a group lesson with Marcus and had a blast! He got everyone engaged, made us feel comfortable, and best of all... we had fun :) Marcus' passion really shines through.
· Acting · In home Marcus clearly loves to help you learn and does so in a very fun way! I had a blast working with Marcus!
· Acting · In studio Marcus is an excellent teacher. Knowledgeable and fun while providing easily digestible and applicable lessons. Highly Recommended!
· Acting · In home Wonderful teacher! Marcus is fantastic. His activities were a perfect fit for our group. He brought us all out of our shells and made is think about really listening and observing the people around us.
Take lessons with Marcus!! You'll have the best time!!!
· Acting · In home I recently took a lesson with Marcus, and it was so much fun! Marcus is passionate about his craft, and committed to the success of his students. His enthusiasm for sharing his love of acting is really apparent, and you can tell that he wants what you learn in the classroom to feel relevant in your every day life. He does a great job of making students feel at ease, and he really knows his stuff. Highly recommended!
· Acting · In home Marcus dropped by our office and gave us a wonderful presentation on how we can use acting methods to read body language, listen beyond the words, and make better connections. Thanks Marcus! Recommended!
· Acting · In studio Marcus is a great acting instructor! I was a total beginner, aside from a really small role in a high school play (a long time ago). Marcus suggested some monologues to me, and was able to guide me through some beginning exercises, and explain to me a methodology for deconstructing a character's motives and motivations, being conscious of my surroundings, and understanding how to play a role in a natural way (so actions don't look staged). It was both scary and exciting to attempt my first monologue, but he put me at ease and helped me perfect it.
Marcus conducts lessons in the front living room of his house and in a private backyard studio. Having the option to be in the house was great, since it lent to an environment that worked well for my monologue.
If you're just starting out, or are a seasoned pro looking for guidance from another professional, I'd highly recommend Marcus.
· Theater Acting · In studio I met Marcus while preparing for a callback a few months ago and have met with him regularly every since. His passion for acting is so evident by his thorough understanding of both theory and practice. His lessons include technique and blocking, but also studying other works by the playwright and understanding works in the same genre. Marcus truly has a well-rounded teaching approach and cares that his students learn. He has been an invaluable resource!
· Acting · Count on Marcus for your audition!
I hadn't auditioned since high school, 18 years ago. Thanks to Marcus, I just got cast in a local production of Romeo & Juliet.
Marcus is extremely knowledgable, and he knows how to get you out of your head and into a character FAST. If it's been a while since you've done any acting, trust him to go easy on you and make it fun.
I highly recommend Marcus for any actor.