I have consistently bridged the worlds of performance and higher education at the highest levels in her own accomplished career. My current experience in the Office of Career Services at the Juilliard School has me supporting the finest emerging talents in the performing arts and puts me in direct contact with the world of performing arts higher education. I have been a lead test prep teacher and tutor with national test leaders, Kaplan, Inc. and I have tutored privately for years in subjects ranging from SAT and GRE preparation, to academic subjects and organizational strategies for young students. I successfully balanced my career in education with a professional singing career as a sought after ensemble member and soloist. I sung in venues from Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York City, to the Walt Disney Concert Hall at the Los Angeles Music Center. My voice can be heard on internationally released recordings from Naxos Music. I earned the opportunity to study music in Europe as an American-Scandinavian Foundation fellow and Hertz Traveling Fellow of UC Berkeley. A National Merit Finalist, Katherine went to the academically rigorous University of California Berkeley as an undergraduate, and the musically demanding San Francisco Conservatory of Music for my graduate degree. I understands first hand the pressure of the application and audition process faced by young artists; and I believe strongly in supporting performers through thorough organization and preparation to allow them to display their talents unencumbered by anxiety over the process. My students have been admitted to Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, BYU, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Vassar, Tufts, La Guardia High School, The Professional Performing Arts School.
• Design and implement a course syllabus for one on one lessons for elective students including weekly lesson plans and student assessment and semester grading.
• Collaborate with students on repertoire selection appropriate to voice type, level, and pace of progress.
• Evaluate student progress and adjust lessons according to the needs of the student.
• Integrate lessons in musicianship, theory and history into the applied lesson setting.
• Meet with department head once per semester to discuss best practices and departmental measures for effective teaching.
Assist with the development of the Career Services and Entrepreneurship center budgeting the additional financial resources awarded to the department for performing arts career skills curriculum
• Provide advisement to students and alumni on topics such as auditioning, interviewing, career planning and strategies, and preparation of promotional materials including cover letters, promotional kits, bios, résumés, and repertoire lists
• Program, coordinate, and attend weekly, seasonal, and monthly performances related to current Juilliard concert series. Including coaching students on programming, public speaking, contracting with selected soloists and ensembles.
I was a National Merit Finalist, and scored 1490 on my own SAT, and 1510 on my GRE (out of years when the scores were based on the 1600 scale for each). I have coached my students to significant point increases. Now a doctoral student at an Ivy League institution, I am researching even further how students learn effectively in one on one settings.
Develop lesson plans based on individual student needs and goals to achieve improvement in classroom grades and standardized testing. Tutor students one on one in SAT, SAT Subject, ACT, Academic subject, Organization and Study skills. Focus on increasing not just specific knowledge, but general study skills and creative problem solving for success in all fields of study. Moved into private practice exclusively from this company.
Tutored students one on one in SAT, SAT Subject, ACT, Academic subject, Organization and Study skills.
Moved on after leaving the California Bay Area
Honed my skills as a tutor through this excellent company. Taught SAT test prep per the Kaplan curriculum. Tutored students one on one for SAT test preparation. Proctored practice exams. Administered essay seminars.
National Association for Music Education (NAfME), among the world’s largest arts education organizations, is the only association that addresses all aspects of music education. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers. The Association orchestrates success for millions of students nationwide and has supported music educators at all teaching levels for more than a century.
The College Music Society promotes music teaching and learning, musical creativity and expression, research and dialogue, and diversity and interdisciplinary interaction. A consortium of college, conservatory, university, and independent musicians and scholars interested in all disciplines of music, the Society provides leadership and serves as an agent of change by addressing concerns facing music in higher education.