I carry an enthusiasm for knowledge, excitement about the "nerdy" subjects like mathematics and science, and determination to pass that on to my students. I believe in the power of positive reinforcement and prefer to educate students, whether highly gifted or experiencing significant obstacles, in a manner that will leave them not only more knowledgeable, but also more confident. I never use the same approach twice. Each session is tailored to my students' strengths and needs, filling in what is incomplete, and building upon what they already possess. I am passionate about education and the development of growing minds, and it shows in my sessions.
I have nearly 10 years total experience working as an educator. I began my experience teaching chemistry and mathematics in a classroom setting as part of a philanthropy program sponsored by my college, University of Southern California. I continued in the industry working for several companies such as Sylvan Learning Centers, Kaplan, TutorFind, and Club Z Tutoring. Since that time, I have continued to work privately with countless students, tailoring my lessons to students' needs and allowing our interactions to grow beyond academic instruction into academic planning, college admissions processes, and mentorship.
I specialize in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and standardized test preparation, but am also available as a general supplemental education provider for any and all subjects with which I have sufficient experience. I like to build a strong connection with my students and their parents, offering not only supplemental education, but also mentorship and academic advisement. I have worked with many families during the planning stages of transition from middle school to high school and high school to university, helping plan a solid academic structure for the student that will guarantee success.
I am available for last-minute tutoring (e.g. studying for a final exam), short-term tutoring solutions (e.g. standardized test preparation), as well as long-term instruction on a regular basis for students with ongoing needs.
Sylvan was my first employer after college. I was hired as an upper level (high school) math instructor, and after some time also became the program coordinator for their SAT classes. At Sylvan, I tutored math for 1-3 students at a time, all on different tracks, either during summer or after school during the year. I also coordinated their SAT prep program, teaching classes of 8-15 students SAT material and strategy as preparation for the test.
I enjoyed my time at Sylvan and gained a lot of knowledge and experience in my technique as an instructor, different learning/teaching styles, and managing lesson plans to achieve educational goals.
As a university student, I had my first experience in the wonderful world of teaching! As an employee of a university funded philanthropy program, I taught 15-20 students chemistry and math for 8 hours every Saturday. Our focus was helping gifted students in the inner-city public school system by supplementing their education.
It was a challenging and very rewarding experience and opened the door to something I had not previously considered, but grew to love: being an educator :)
ATA Tutor Certification consists of the following checkpoints:
Initial Standards Screening: Must have minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and one year of tutoring or teaching experience.
Reference Verification: Provide two letters of recommendation from education related, professional reference.
Three Tier Criminal Background Check: ATA, in partnership with Pinkerton Securities, runs a three tier criminal background check, including Department of Corrections, Sex Offender Registry, and Social Security Verification.
Completed Online Application: Includes all online application information, references, copy of highest degree earned and payment for certification.
The ATA was founded in 2001 and has since certified over 6,000 tutors. In addition to creating standards for the industry, the ATA also provides a host of support services to professional tutors.
· Algebra 2 · Online Great instructor!!! Looking forward to take more classes for my daughter. I will definitely recommend her to anyone.
· ACT Test Prep · Online We are very satisfied with Erin's services - our daughter improved her ACT score by 4 points with Erin's tutoring assistance! Erin knew how to use technology to make the online tutoring sessions as effective as though they were in person. Not only is she smart in the subject matter, she is also very personable. I would highly recommend Erin!
· Pre Calculus · Online Great Instructor. Went over problems very clearly and was easy to follow along.
· Calculus · In studio Super helpful and patient! Very accommodating and productive lesson
· ACT · Online Terrific and patient. My daughter is actually enjoying her tutoring!
· Algebra 2 · Online Amazing teacher and very kind. Best tutoring experience by far. Highly recommend!
· ACT · Online Erin is an excellent tutor.
· ACT · Online Erin is an excellent tutor.
· Math · In home We absolutely loved Erin. What a sweetheart! She was recommended to us by friends and we were so happy to have her work with our son, Joey. Erin helped him with his Calculus work and preparing for the ACT his senior year of high school. Joey's scores improved (ACT score went up 5 points) and there was a definite positive change in his self-confidence and attitude. Erin was dependable and went out of her way to be thorough in keeping my husband and I informed during the process. We've had quite a few tutors over the years, and sometimes it's hard to find a good one, so we were really glad we found Erin!