- Teaches students:
- Ages 18 to 60 and special needs
- Teaching since:
“Nihao” and “huanying” to Chinese tutoring!
As a student of linguistic anthropology at the University of Chicago, I specialize not only in teaching the communicative and grammatical aspects of Mandarin Chinese, but also its metalinguistic ones such as language ideology and language politics in contemporary China. A life-long lover of Chinese classical and modern literature, I'm also happy to introduce the historical and literary aspects of Mandarin Chinese to students who are interested in Chinese culture in general.
Prior to TakeLessons, I have 2 years of experience teaching Standard Mandarin Chinese at both beginners and intermediate levels in Beijing, China from 2011 to 2013. I also worked as a part-time translator of business documents, NGOs projects, and academic articles, from 2010 to 2013.
A little bit more about my personal and academic life: I was born and raised in Kunming, China. I moved to Beijing in 2010 for college and transferred to the States to continue my undergraduate studies in anthropology in 2014. I graduated in 2017 with a BA in anthropology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I obtained my MA degree in the social sciences at the University of Chicago in August 2018.
- Organizing information sessions for prospective students in Anthropology.
- Organizing campus-wide panel meetings (Taboo Talks) concerning current U.S. social justice issues.
- Responsible for the translation of company website, business correspondences, immigration materials, and relevant academic studies.
Responsible for the website and cultural projects translation, including the introductions of the historical buildings, streets, and famous historical individuals.
- Assisted participants of the program in finding oversea internships as well as providing support throughout the matching process. Successfully matched 2 exchange participants to internships in India and Cameroon respectively.
I started my first lesson with Shulan today and I can confidently say that I am very happy with my choice to learn Mandarin with her. Shulan is organized, thorough, attentive and a lot of fun! I figured she was going to be a great teacher based on her outstanding resume and I was frankly surprised that someone of her caliber was available for instruction here.
By the end of my first lesson I felt confident I made the right choice. Shulan is an amazing teacher and I'm excited for my next class! She is very open to questions, friendly, and very knowledgeable. Sign up with her and you won't regret it. I bet someday she might become a famous professor so now is your chance to learn from one of the best up and coming teachers :)
Don't miss out!