- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 3 to 70
- Teaching since:
Your learning experience is about you. It is about personalized lesson plans, your learning style and aspirations. I look forward to working with you.
A little bit about me: I have sung and played the piano with many different professional bands (from rock and pop, to blues and ethnic). In addition, being a classical piano teacher for over a decade in preparatory schools (from pre-school to high-school), running my private piano/theory studio and currently teaching music majors in college (Northwestern University, New England Conservatory previously), I can confidently say that I have dealt with a large span of ages (3 – 45), personalities, cultural backgrounds and levels of students, especially aged 10 – 18.
My teaching style is enthusiastic, humorous and theatrical, always focused on each student’s interests and approaching learning in an interdisciplinary way, incorporating singing, composing, movement and anything the student relates to. I believe in interactive learning and in giving the students the power to create their own curriculum. I will give you a solid technical jumpstart, you will learn to read and write music and we will have cross-genre playlists because we love all music.
As for my education and current professional life, I'm a classical composer, with a bachelor's degree in classical piano and theory, currently pursuing my doctoral degree in composition at Northwestern University. I previously obtained my master's degree in composition at the New England Conservatory in Boston. I also hold a bachelor's degree in pedagogy, musicology.
On a different note,
• Deliver 3 (50’) lectures per week to undergraduate music majors, class of 15 (freshmen).
• Grade and provide constructive feedback for 45 performance diagnostics, written assignments and exams, per academic year.
• Offer individual tutoring, participate in weekly T.A. meetings, and release biweekly student progress reports.
• Designed and co-instructed a weekly 2-hour music course for 10 students, ages 3-5.
The course aimed at teaching the Greek language and introducing the Greek cultural heritage, in addition to developing basic music skills (singing, playing instruments, solo and ensemble improvising, understanding rhythm and pitch, creating soundscapes, playing body percussion, reading and designing graphic scores, developing music memory.)
• Led the 4-month-long “Odyssey” project; lesson plans were staged as dramatic episodes from the Odyssey, combining music-skill development, acting, games and dance with cultural knowledge.
Piano, General Theory Teacher and Voice Coach for Musical Theater
• Led active private studio of 11 students, ages 5 – 16.
• Organized student concerts and prepared students for conservatory entry exams in piano and theory.
• Prepared musical performers for auditions, focusing on ear training, solfège and interpretation.
• Delivered weekly lectures and instructed harmony on the keyboard. Coordinated communication with 80+ NEC undergraduate music students in my studio - classes of 10.
• Reported student progress, proctored exams and participated in weekly faculty meetings.
• Tutored remedial private lessons and held regular office hours.
Over 70 hours of intensive educational programming and survival training, specialized in late teens.
Niki is very patient with a student like me, who started with very little background in Greek while also being a non-native English speaker. Her pedagogical skill is superb and her teaching style is passionate. Niki is a very warm and empathetic person, and she taught me a great deal about Greek history and culture that comes together with the wonderful Greek language. I recommend anyone who has a serious interest in the language take lesson with Niki!+ Read More
First Greek Lesson was great with Niki! Extremely patient with you which is really key if you are a beginner. Awesome person too!
My teenage daughter was a student of Niki's until we moved. She builds rapport with the student, and her devotion to music and the pursuit of her own education as a gifted musician made her enthusiasm infectious. She is the product of serious and intense training from a young age, but I believe her personality and approach would allow for a solid connection with students of various abilities.+ Read More
Niki helped me re-learn everything I knew about playing the piano, she taught me to improvise and thanks to her amazing way of making everything in music seem simpler, I stopped being afraid of making mistakes, I gained confidence in playing in front of an audience and I learned to sing while playing!
I definitely recommend her!
Niki is an exceptionally gifted musician with an in depth knowledge of music theory, amazing piano technique and expression not to mention perfect pitch hearing. She has the the ability to explain the most difficult concepts in a personalised and simple way that not only ensured my understanding but also helped me in incorporating it into my playing! I am highly recommending Niki as a tutor as her capabalities and knowledge will help all level of players or composers to get their work to the next level!+ Read More
Inspiring, passionate, devoted. This is what comes to mind when I think of Niki. As a school principle, I hired her to teach music and culture to prek&k students. She is an extremely charismatic person that would go many extra miles to inspire students, not just to teach them but to also ensure that they love music, culture, and life. Students adored her and altogether exceeded all expectations. Could not recommend more.+ Read More
Niki is a very talented musician and an incredible teacher. I highly recommend her.
Niki is an excellent teacher! I was very lucky to be her student!