Males 5 to 25
My Teaching Philosophy
My teaching philosophy is summed up in 3 words: Engage. Encourage. Excel.
I ENGAGE with my students with subject matter that is interesting and purposeful.
I ENCOURAGE my students to work hard to achieve their educational goals.
And, I watch my students EXCEL while successfully and confidently reaching their full potential.
My goal is to give students the right tools combined with the one-one-one intensive practice to improve upon their reading, writing, and study skills, so they can confidently and successfully excel on their own after working with me.
My Educational Background and Experience
I am a highly qualified teacher with a Master’s degree in English Education. I have 15 years of experience as an independent tutor and a high school and college level teacher. I primarily work with students in all of the humanities-based courses to include: English, Writing, Rhetoric, Psychology, World History, European History, U.S. History, Sociology, and Women’s Studies).
My focus with students is most often on:
-The college admissions process + essay
-Helping students to learn and prep for the AP Exams. I have a 90% success rate for students passing their AP Exams
I also work with students who need assistance in the following:
-Beginner reading and writing skills
-High school reading comprehension and writing skills
-High school and college research paper process
-Study and organizational skills
A Quick Snapshot of my Education and Experience:
-BA in English Education at University of Delaware
-MA in English Literature at San Diego State University
-15 years of tutoring with all ages and humanities-related subjects
-1 year as a high school English teacher
-2 years as a college-level writing tutor
-2 years as a college writing and literature professor
Upon meeting a student for the first time, I typically discuss the following details with both the parent and student:
-What is the overall goal for the tutoring sessions? Does the student need daily or weekly sessions to achieve this goal?
Does the student want to work in person one-on-one, in a small group setting, or via Skype?
-How does the student learn best? Is he/she an auditory, visual, or kinesthetic learner?
-Once I understand the overall goal and process in which the student learns best, we will create a plan together for moving forward in a clear, manageable fashion.
-Before each session begins, I create a list of objectives and a plan to complete them, so it's clear to the student what needs to get accomplished during each session.
In this way, everyone involved feels productive and successful!
I have no strict requirements for specific equipment that you must have for our sessions, however, below are a few suggestions:
In-person sessions: It's a good idea to have a work space set up that is away from distraction. Also, have all of your materials ready, so we don't waste any of your tutoring time finding the right books, questions, etc.
Online sessions: Strong WiFi connection, so you can easily access a Skype session. Also, it's ideal to set up your workspace in a quiet setting and be prepared with attachments and exercises opened and/or completed that I've e-mailed to you prior to our session.
*** Specialties ***
While I have experience working with many students in all humanities-related subjects (English, History, Psychology, Women's Studies), I most often work with students who need help learning the writing process. I also spend a lot of time helping students navigate the college admissions process and writing their college admissions essays.
In addition, I spend a lot of time working with students who need help staying on track in their AP courses and prepping for their AP exams. I have a 90% success rate for students who pass their AP exams after working with me.
+Created Bare Mixers, a line of Organic, Low-Calorie, Gluten-Free cocktail mixers after getting laid off from teaching at SDSU
+Developed the Bare Mixers brand and effectively ran all aspects of the company
+Used a wide range of rhetorical strategies and advanced writing skills to develop the business plan, the marketing plan, and all of the copy for press releases and blog articles
+Developed the website and social networking strategies
+Managed all administrative tasks and hiring of interns, sales reps, and delivery people
+Responsible for raising capital and finding investors
+Recently sold company to leading natural foods company, Ultimate Super Foods
+Primary responsibilities in new company include managing marketing, sales, website development, and building online social networks
+Featured in Forbes' website in 2012 as one of top 10 Female Entrepreneurs in San to Watch
+Humanities tutor for individual students and small groups from elementary grades through college and post-graduate studies in the following subjects: English, reading, writing, rhetoric, history, psychology and other humanities- related subjects
+Use online and computer tools such as, power point, youtube, slideshare, and google groups to engage students in online lessons and activities
+Work with students on college and career planning
+Work with students on writing college admissions essays
+Help prepare students for AP exams by first teaching them organizational and study skills and then teaching them subject material
+Facilitated group sessions with 2-6 students for AP exam preparation and review
+Created lesson plans, power points, and practice exams for group AP exam sessions
+Work with students in examining literature and recognizing the tools authors use to create meaning in their texts
+Implement various strategies to teach students to become confident readers
+Instruct students on how to brainstorm, organize, edit, and write literary analysis, persuasive, and informative essays
+Demonstrate the research paper process
+Responsible for teaching Introduction to Literature to 50 students
+Created class syllabus, book list, and curriculum to involve students in various literary genres, movements, and texts to ensure a complete and comprehensive introduction to literature
+Facilitated class discussions where students were engaging, conversing, and reflecting on literature and its purpose in society
+Taught students to write a literary analysis paper in which they had to construct their own argument rather than using a writing prompt
+Showed students the writing process for a literary analysis paper. Focused on how to brainstorm, create a thesis statement, and support an argument with evidence and commentary
+Accountable for daily communication with students through e-mail and conferences and also for grading papers and displaying grades on the school's interactive website
*laid off due to CA budget cuts
+Edited student papers for errors in spelling, syntax, and punctuation
+Graded student papers, business memos, and projects
+Tutored six students per week on proper writing techniques, grammar, and organization
+Assisted professor with teaching and grading assignments for a developmental writing course
+Tutored ten students per week on how to formulate outlines and structure essays
+Worked with professor to align lesson plans with tutoring strategies
+Responsible for teaching freshman rhetoric and writing to college students of all learning abilities
+Prepared daily lesson plans which employed various teaching techniques to keep students engaged
+Focused on reading strategies to help students become active readers
+Conducted class discussions on topics such as author’s purpose, author’s argument, and rhetorical strategies in the assigned texts
+Taught students the process for writing essays and worked on applying these steps to all essays
+Graded and commented on each essay assignment twice so students were able to learn from comments and revise after first draft
+Required students to come to office hours at least once to individually work on writing skills
+Responsible for three ninth grade and two tenth grade classes for a total of 140 students.
+Taught English Literature, composition, and grammar to students with various learning abilities while keeping them engaged and connected with the material
+Used writing and reading workshop techniques to enhance student involvement in the class
+Knowledge of and ability to use proper classroom management techniques
+Contacted and responded to parent concerns during parent conferences and all other times throughout the year
+Knowledge of new state standards for students in public high schools
+Prepared daily lesson plans that aligned with the state standards and prepared the students for the Delaware State Test (DSTP)
+Accountable for all tenth grade students passing the DSTP
+Volunteered to be on the committee to create a more efficient way to grade students based on standards
· English · In studio Best English teacher in High school I have ever experienced. She takes the time to make sure you learn! I will always remember Ms. Natalie S and will always thank her for my knowledge today!
· Reading · Online Great Teacher - My son is learning new things very quickly & really enjoying the lessons :)
· Poetry · Online A breath of fresh air!
Natalie was outstanding in preparing our 12 y.o. for a poetry recitation. She guided him through all elements of the poem from interpretation to his style of delivery and presentation. He did a great job and has Natalie to thank for it. Highly recommended!
· English · Online Natalie is a fantastic teacher. She relates well to the students, and she makes it fun for them to learn. It is a pleasure having her in our home, and we will continue to use her with our children and recommend her to our friends!
· World History · In home Natalie has worked with our daughter to help her study and pass all of her AP Exams. She has worked with her for AP World History and AP English, and now she's currently working with her on AP Psychology. She helps get the students interested in the material and then she has a great process for helping them remember it, so they know enough to pass the exam and do well in the class. These courses are very hard, and it's a lot of information for students to remember, so having a tutor like Natalie is really helpful. I highly recommend her.
· Essay Writing · In home Natalie worked with my son on his college admissions essay. She was recommended to me by a few other moms who said she was good at helping students get through the college admissions process without being so stressed out. I was frustrated trying to get him to do it, and he was reluctant to start because he didn't know what to write about. Natalie took the time to explain to both of us that writing a college admissions essay is very difficult because students are not taught how to write these types of essays in school, so he felt much better about getting started. She walked him through the entire process, and he was able to find the most interesting topic for him to write about by the end of the first session. He was much happier to complete his applications after he had worked with her. She was integral in helping our family get this process completed.
· Psychology · Online I can personally vouch for Natalie. She is an incredible instructor and comes highly recommended!
· · She was such a great help, and she helped me figure out who, what, when, where, and why for my topic. She asked just the perfect questions, and the perfect responses as well, to make things click. Thanks!! I will come to you guys when I need any extra help or push in writing!
· · It's a great class, Natalie shared with me her advice and also useful documents, platforms etc.
· · Review
Natalie is a great teacher! She gave me all the support. EXCELLENT! Really awesome, I do recommend!