- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
For creative people and makers, crafting is like going to the gym. You will find great fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment if you set aside time on a regular basis to nurture this very important part of what makes you who you are. Think of me like a personal trainer. I will encourage and inspire you while you develop your skills and express yourself through a variety of textile based media.
Private and group lessons or classes are provided in locations around the NYC area, in my space or via webcam. My focus is on providing an entertaining, relaxing and enjoyable experience as you learn a leisure time activity. I am extremely patient and detail oriented. When you let me know what you would like to learn or make, I will guide you through everything from selecting materials to fine tuning your technique. Take a lesson with me to find out why my students love me.
Teaching is a wonderful extension of my work as a professional crochet and knit designer and technical editor. A web search will reveal some of my published work over the last decade. As a craft teacher in the NYC area for over 8 years, I have worked with individuals, groups and classes of all ages and skill levels. Most of my experience focuses on working with older adults and people with special needs. Minors must have a supervising adult present. I do not work with groups of young children.
I have studied the history and mastered the skills to make and teach a vast variety of textile techniques. Please see my experience.
If you are using this site without the assistance of a TL Rep, I recommend the schedule as you go option. I often have openings in my calendar sooner than the site allows. After we make contact, we can choose the best date and time.
*** Lesson Details ***
Please let me know what you would like to learn or make before your lesson so that we may be fully prepared with any materials, tools, equipment, books or handouts. Students are expected to provide all their own tools and materials unless other arrangements are made.
Recommended duration for in-person lessons is 90 minutes. A surcharge may be added for travel outside of areas accessible by one MTA fare or expected travel time exceeding 90 minutes.
*** Specialties ***
Textile based crafts including crochet, knitting, embroidery, sewing, patchwork, plastic canvas, needlepoint, counted cross stitch, bobbin lace, historic textile and costume conservation and storage, and more.
I also love to research and develop craft projects for classes or master techniques students would like to learn.
Textile conservator in private practice. My experience includes work on one of the largest privately held collections of kimonos in America. I restored the embroidery and stabilized areas of loss on kimonos averaging 150 years old.
I have also restored areas of loss and stabilized crocheted family heirlooms averaging 50 years old including lace tablecloths and afghans.
Photos are available upon request.
Provide crafting activities for adults with special needs and a variety of skill levels.
I have taught classes for various businesses and organizations
Provide weekly craft classes free to anyone over age 55.
We currently rotate between knitting, crochet and sewing. The first hour of our class we have a group lesson or work on a group project. The second hour of our class is independent work time where anyone can get help with any project that interests them.
Tools and materials are provided to work on projects in class. If materials are provided, only completed projects may be taken home. If you want to work on your project at home, you must provide your own tools and materials.
As a professional crochet and knit designer, I design, construct and write patterns. I have worked with Vogue Knitting, Crochet Today, Your Knitting Life, Interweave Crochet, Family Circle, Knit 1, Crochet!, Crochet World and other magazines; Coats and Clark, Lion Brand, Caron and other yarn companies; Soho Publishing, Annie's Attic, Dynamic Resources Group (DRG), American School of Needlework, Leisure Arts, and other publishing companies.
I have also worked as a technical editor in both crochet and knit for Soho Publishing, Crochet Today, Lion Brand, Interweave Crochet, Dover and private designers and artists.
"In Stitches...with Kim K"
Learn, practice and share your Crochet, Knitting and Sewing skills in a fun and caring atmosphere. Make things for yourself, gifts for friends and family, or charity items. Get help with your own projects and learn new skills. But, most of all - be inspired, feed your creativity and meet some new friends. Tools and materials will be provided to work on projects at the center, or bring your own that you can work on at home.
Hacemos las puntadas en Espanol, tambien.
Kim K is a profession craft instructor with over seven years experience working with older adults. Students often comment on Kim's kind and patient teaching style. She is also a published crochet and knit designer, technical editor and CYC certified instructor.
Continuing Education Intermediate Crochet Course
Teach full day craft programs at libraries several times each year. Senior Participants craft items that are donated to organizations like Head Start and battered women's shelters.
Supervised and worked with 8-12 embroidery artisans to produce high end embroidery for interior designers, theater costume and film. My personal work can be seen in "The Aviator" and "Memoirs of a Geisha," among others. My skills include hand embroidery and tambour work.
Photos of select work available upon request.
My responsibilities included educational outreach programs, collections management, giving tours of an historic house museum, managing gift shop, research assistance, fund raising, grant writing, special event coordination, public relations, development, recruiting and supervising volunteers and interns, and general day-to-day management.
Completed certified instructor programs in both crochet and knit.
· Knitting · In studio Very lovely person and patient to boot!
On time, upbeat and gave me some great pointers that I know I'll put to good use!
Will def. book another lesson with Kim.
· Crocheting · In studio I booked Kim for an in-person crotchet lesson and knew right away she was a good fit for me. Our first and second in-person lessons were learning the basics as I have no experience. I just finished my third lesson and I am already working on projects.
Kim is very kind, patient, incredibly knowledgeable, and flexible with booking and selecting projects of interest. She can anticipate your next move and is able to read her students very early on to know where they may struggle and/or have success. I recommend Kim to anyone who has a desire to learn!
· Crocheting · Online Can't wait for my next class!!!
· Sewing · In home I had a great time learning with Kim. I am a total Newbie, Kim was very Knowledgeable and patient. While I learned the basics, she gave great advice, tips, & reviews of other stores and subjects. I highly recommend her to any one who is just beginning or trying to hone in on your craft.
· Crocheting · In home Kim, is exceptional!! She makes you feel so at at ease!! Very, very, smart and wise beyond her years. And so much fun to be with. Time flys by with her and she leaves you wanting more!!!! Lol there were times after she left that I could not put the crocheting tools down!! Love her and enjoy my lessons 5 stars for Kim!!!!!!
· Embroidery · In home Kim came to Manhattan for our lesson and was very promt and ready to teach a specific set of techniques that I wanted to learn to complete a Mother's Day project. She taught in a way that was easy to understand and I was able to catch on quickly. Kim is very personable and it's clear in her clean work that she has a lot of professional experience. I appreciate her knowledge and guidance in instruction. Thank you Kim!! I'm having fun with my new found craft/meditation!!
· Knitting · Online Kim is great and she spent tons of time with me going over my lesson plans so I understood them. She is very patient and so knowledgeable I definitely will have more lessons in the future.
· Crocheting · Online Kim was beyond wonderful! She was patient and very detail oriented. I can not wait for a second session. She went above and beyond.
· Crocheting · In home Just had my first crocheting lesson with the fabulous Kim Kotary! She is an awesome instructor. I was very relaxed , and enjoyed what I was doing. She has a gift of knowledge. And I can't wait to have my next lesson with her. Thank you for having such a great instructor and a perfect match for my crocheting lessons 😊~Maggie
· Sewing · Online Kim was terrific! It was great to go through the basics and actually have someone watch what I was doing. Now I'm not HOPING I'm doing it correctly, i KNOW I'm doing it correctly She's very good with the step-by-step verbals and visuals, and moves at a comfortable pace. Also, I learned a bunch of cool little tips from her. Added bonus: she's a super nice and interesting person; turns out we share many of the same interests, and what I'm looking to develop - sort of a little niche project thing - she's been doing for years. I'll definitely be taking additional lessons from her. Thanks, Kim!