- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
- August 2008
I am located in Los Angeles for in-person lessons , BUT I teach online via Skype all over the U.S. Please indicate the type of lessons + subject you would like to learn when you contact me. I'm best to suited for beginners through intermediate. I am willing to travel outside my travel radius at $35/trip depending on distance. If outside my travel area, you must book at least a 2 hour lesson.
I'm a designer with extensive experience that you won't find elsewhere. I am not a simple sewing teacher- I customize all my lesson plans, prepare our projects to be of most benefit to your specific goals, and have a unique set of skills that the average sewing teacher doesn't. I don't compromise on my rates as I provide an extreme amount of value for what I offer. My resources and tips alone are great ways of to make you excel at your project goals a lot more quickly than with anyone else. I believe in a holistic approach to tackling your projects- not just isolating one way of accomplishing it.
I am a former Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.) Professor, teaching sewing and fashion art, and in the fashion industry for over 16 years. I have worked at Target Stores, Federated Dept. stores, and Alexander McQueen, and have a very close working knowledge of industry standards and needs. I currently work as a costumer in Hollywood on films and television creating costumes for the stars. I facilitate students and fashion companies in the following areas:
-Illustration (computer or-hand-rendered)
- Fashion Portfolio Preparation.
- Hand Embroidery (I DO NOT operate Embroidery Machines)
- Graphic Design FOR BEGINNERS in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator and Photoshop); though I work with general graphic design, my specialty is fashion garment illustration.
- Consulting on how to produce your own clothing/accessories collection.
- Consulting on how to source and produce your Domestic and Overseas collection.
- How to create line sheets.
- How to create technical packets.
- How to create digital art for screenprinting.
-Computer Assistance for BEGINNERS- Learning to use the Computer, Basic Skills in MS Office, using the Web. etc.
1.) You will have to have all your materials and most of your tools: sewing machine, computer with all installed programs or services, patternmaking tools and paper, fabrics, etc. I will bring some small materials to our first session to explain what tools to purchase.
2.) You must make yourself available for one email consult on lesson goals before scheduling your first lesson- please plan to do this at least one week to 2 days before you want to schedule your first lesson. We will discuss your lesson goals, and what materials to buy. You do need to allow time to purchase your materials, so please plan ahead. When you purchase your lessons, please email me a time and date (or several) to schedule this phone call.
Please schedule directly with me VIA EMAIL. I do have my general availability listed on schedule for everyday, However, I work with many students and teach classes that might not be reflected in this schedule. I will try my best to honor the time you request, but I cannot guarantee it. Please email me to confirm- I will also reach out to you via phone to confirm or reschedule a time if there is a conflict.
- 24 hour cancellation policy/ no refunds given after this time.
- All sessions are a 1 hour minimum. Recommended time for sewing lessons is 1.5 - 2 hr increments.
- Costume designer and cutter-fitter for the film and entertainment industry.
- Make custom patterns, construction, period-specific sewing of all types of clothing for women and men.
- Create specialty costuming involving sculptural elements like foam, and a large-scale headpieces.
- List of credits include: "Hollow Body" feature film with David Arquette, Luke Wilson; "RadioFlash" feature film with Dominic Monaghan and Will Patton; "Bon Apetit" Music Video for Katy Perry; Styling for Travis Scott, Forever In Your Mind Disney Band, Brighton Sharbino, and Saxon Sharbino.
New York, Detroit, Miami
- A fashion studio servicing clients with private tutoring, group classes, and lectures in sewing, fashion illustration and portfolio instruction.
- Design consulting services for clients in need of technical design support and planning, first sample construction, production expertise.
- Hosting fashion workshops and lectures at various colleges, community centers and high schools.
Designer, Clothing and Accessories Collection
- Worn exclusively by Oscar award winning actress Sharon Stone, and actress Sarah Jessica Parker
- Collection is exclusively featured in international trunk shows and national art shows.
- Collection has been featured in press ((Daily Candy Miami, Miami.com and The Miami Herald) multiple fashion blogs (The Fashion Poet, and The Wordy Girl) and the magazines Sportswear International, Urban Latino, Plaztik, Uppers& Downers,TimeOUT NY
-Created and produced a collection sold exclusively to New York boutiques, Loisaida, NYC, Forward, NYC, Wake , NYC and Goldie in Miami.
Nov 2003 “Mini’s First Time” Los Angeles, California
Contributing Designer, Trigger Street Productions
-Designed and constructed (5) custom looks for several title characters in the feature film
-Dressed title character, “Mini” played by Nikki Reed; film also stars Alec Baldwin, Carrie-Anne Moss, Jeff Goldblum and Luke Wilson
Sept 2005 Emmy Awards Los Angeles, California
Designer of custom apparel for Jennifer Lyons, reality star from Survivor: Palau
-Designed a custom couture evening gown to be worn by the actress to the awards ceremony
- Creation, management and teaching of the school’s fashion design program and curriculum.
- Teaching is tailored to the many aspects of design; Art and garment instruction, patternmaking, as well as marketing and sales.
- Instruction on fashion art curriculum: hand rendering, model sketching, computer fashion illustration, & upper-division portfolio development.
March-June 2006 Tricorne Costume House New York, NY
Pattern and Sample Technician, for large-scale New York City & Internationally Touring Broadway productions
- Intricate Construction, Sewing and Patternmaking for production of Wicked, The Color Purple, Legally Blonde, etc.
Feb 2007-March 2007 “BFF” Daryl Roth Theater New York, NY
Costume Supervisor for W.E.T. (Women’s Expressive Theater)
-Supervision of wardrobe worn by the cast for the entire run of the production
-Assisting costume designer to determine the look of the show.
-Solely responsible for costume repair, shopping and maintenance.
July 2006 Eighth International Lithuanian Song Festival Chicago, Illinois
Costume Designer, The American Lithuanian Music Association
-Design and domestic production of 1,500 costumes for the day-long festival.
-Showcased three separate looks for children, men and women.
-Created and produced a collection sold exclusively to all Capezio retail outlets, international dance stores, and exclusive dance conventions (The Pulse, NYCDA, Star Systems, etc.)
-Collection was featured in the magazines Elle & Glamour , and on theTV shows “Making the Band” and “So You Think You Can Dance”:
-Created and constructed all designs worn exclusively by famed celebrity choreographers featured on “So You Think You Can Dance”: Mia Michaels (Celine Dion, Janet Jackson, Cirque Du Soliel) Brian Friedman (Britney Spears, N’Sync) Shane Sparks (High School Musical), etc.
One simple word, OUTSTANDING !!
Paid and she canceled so ya really not helpful.
Thank you, Helpful lesson. Good instructor : )
Completely Amazing !!! Will definitely be doing my classes with her !!!! Knowledgeable and fun!! Enjoyable personality!!!!
As a beginner, I was nervous. Super unnecessary! Milda is very patient, kind, and encouraging. I feel more confident about my sewing goals and my current progress. Looking forward to my next lesson. Only regret is not signing up ages ago.
Very Knowledgeable, very helpful, not only was she helpful but she provided a myriad of helpful resources I could use in my local area.
If you need beginner Photoshop lessons. Milda is awesome. She is patient and caring. When I didn't know how to do something she was able to break it down and walk me through it step by step. Highly recommend her to anyone who is new to Photoshop.
Love my lessons every time, couldn’t of found a better teacher thankyou milda 🙂
Very detailed !!!!!! I would highly recommend !!!!
Milda was super helpful, knowledgeable, patient, and very easy to work with. She packed all I needed to learn to help me with a specific project I was working on. Will work with her again.
I would like to say its been a pleasure having a teacher that's so friendly and welcomed. You are a great teacher and such a good future in helping others learn. Thank you for taking the time, and patience, with me, I really enjoyed the company. May you be blessed in your journey teaching others the skill.+ Read More
Learnt a lot.
First lesson with Milda today. She's a pleasure to work with and I appreciate her approach to walking me, as a true beginner, through Adobe. Looking forward to many more.
My first day in sewing class. Milda helped me feel comfortable and I used the sewing machine on my first day.
Milda was very knowledgeable and showed me many shortcuts using Photoshop. It was a pleasure meeting you and thank you very much for your help.
Great class! Friendly, professional, funny, and informative.
Very friendly, patient, informative, and fun! I was nervous at first because I didn't know the first thing about fashion design, but she put me at ease, and helped me learn so much in a short amount of time. I'm very happy that I chose her, and I look forward to my next lesson!+ Read More
Amazing, professional, friendly.
Milda is fantastic!! So much valuable information in one hour!! I couldn't believe how thorough she was in locating the pattern I was working on to confirm my questions. Don't hesitate taking her class if you're seriously stuck in sewers block or just need incentive to finish an article. She's smart, fun and supportive. I'm mature with couture experience and I completely endorse Milda!
Daphne from Washington State.
Milda is an exceptional tutor and mentor. I moved to Miami with negligable computer skills. Milda was patient, informative and easy to understand as she taught me the basics. She is very encouraging and provides positive feedback which increases your confidence. I could not recommend Milda highly enough. She is truly the consummate professional and a joy to be around. You should book a session with her right now!!+ Read More
Great instructor- patient and knowledgeable!
Incredibly forthcoming with a plethora of information and always available to answer questions. Really pushes me to learn as much as I can.