Hi! My name is Jackie, and I have 15+ years of experience in teaching, tutoring, and training. Currently, I am enjoying tutoring adults in passing the California teacher’s exam, as well as teaching teenagers and adults Spanish.
All of my students, meaning a perfect 100%, have improved their grades by at least one letter grade, if not more, and passed every one of their tests and exams. I help ALL my clients reach their goals!
Recently, I returned to San Diego after living in Peru where I taught English as a second language. My students ranged from adult business people and academicians to primary and secondary school students. I really needed to utilize different teaching methods depending on each student’s needs. Some students wanted more business-related conversation, so I had be able to teach business principles in marketing, communication, logistics, interviewing, and so much more. Critical thinking was an area that I pushed my business students to improve. Other students needed to work on the basics of grammar, reading, and writing, and we had a lot of fun in class, whether going through the interactive lesson or improvising by singing the American pop songs to learn the lyrics.
The feedback I often received from my Peruvian students, as well as my students in Mexico and the U.S., was that I made learning an enjoyable experience—they wanted to work harder to advance quickly in their classes. All of my students agree that I have a lot of patience and turn even the most challenging lessons into ones of positivity and encouragement. I provide critical feedback in the most constructive of ways that helps the students reach conclusions on their own. I enjoy being there to support and guide their experience!
Before I left for Peru, I worked at St Vincent de Paul Village (part of Father Joe's Villages) in downtown San Diego. There I taught homeless and low-income adults with and without learning disabilities, as well as children from preschoolers to high school students. Teaching such a wide variety of students pushed me to think creatively and come up with memorable ways to engage the students and help them remember the lessons.
In high school, I took all AP and college prep classes. I went to a liberal arts college in Virginia where I focused on social studies and biology. I spent a few years training business people in Microsoft Office, Photoshop, InDesign, as well as presentation techniques. In grad school, I specialized in applied anthropology and public health. During that time, I tutored students in web design. In between, I've worked in Communications and Training in international health and development, so I have a lot of experience to bring to teaching.
Basically, I love teaching. I'm enthusiastic yet patient, and I absolutely adore helping kids and adults alike learn. It's such a sense of accomplishment when my students show off their terrific grades. I see the same look in my students’ eyes regardless of age—that pride that shines from within, that exuberant smile, like they can conquer anything. I want my students to keep that pride for a long, long time.
Tutor high school, college, and graduate students in English, Education, ESL, World History, Latin American History, World History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Sociology, Biology, Art, Spanish, Literature, Theatre, Psychology, and more.
Teach basic, intermediate, and advanced ESL, as well as business conversation and GMAT preparation, to adult students working for international corporations. Coordinate schedules with clients and teachers. Supervise teachers. Located in Lima, Peru.
Tutor at-risk elementary and middle school students in improving literacy. Tutor high school students in English literature, writing, American and World History, and Spanish. Tutor college students in ESL, TOEFL prep, Public Health, and writing. Tutor graduate students in research and write grade A papers, as well as improve study skills. Train adult professionals in Microsoft Publisher and Adobe InDesign.
Teach adults and children health classes in topics such as diabetes, nutrition, exercise, stress management, chronic illness, smoking cessation, and more. Supervise volunteers.
Teach adults and children health classes in topics such as diabetes, nutrition, exercise
· Spanish · Online Very friendly, patient and helpful. Traveled to many areas and has experiences and knowledge of cultures. Excellent teacher. I would highly recommend her.
· Spanish · Online I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very satisfied with what I learned in the first lesson.
· Spanish · Online Very helpful, makes you feel comfortable even it was still the first meeting. A lot of things learned from the first meeting
· Spanish · Online She was so happy to help. Very frustrating as I fell behind in Spanish over 2 quarters but Jackie is getting me back on track with compassion.
· Spanish · Online Jackie was great! I showed up late but we still were able to accomplish a lot and I look forward to working with her in the future.
· Spanish · Online Jackie has made learning Spanish enjoyable. I appreciate her patience and sense of humor! I highly recommend her as a teacher.
· ESL · Online The best teacher ever!
· ESL · Online Jackie is a nice person and a wonderful teacher. And enjoyed my first English lesson with her.
· ESL · Online I'm very excited with my teacher! <3
· Spanish · Online Jackie is so nice, quick to laugh, and patient. Great for learning a new language! :)