Tutoring is my passion!! I really enjoy having the opportunity to work one one one with my students to help them attain their individual goals and promote their individual strengths!! I have completed coursework required for a Masters degree to teach English Literature/ Language Arts and English as a second language (ESL) and have 10 years experience teaching in nontraditional settings. I seek to inspire others to accomplish great things academically and to have fun while accomplishing those goals. I am motivated to work with others and fully utilize my creativity and individual skills to promote lifelong learning.
Creates a caring, student-centered environment for learning, encouraging the enjoyment of all subjects to include Grammar, Science, History, Geography, Math, Latin, Fine Arts, and historical timeline within the perimeters of the Classical Conversations model. Designed and delivered engaging lectures and motivating lessons to students. Modified assignments and activities to meet the learning needs of individual students. Prepared students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities with a growth mindset.
Taught the English language to Japanese students age 4 years old to 77 years old, both in group and individual setting.
Exhibited leadership skills through the preparation and facilitation of a culture through Halloween, Christmas, and Easter parties, summer events, shared cuisine, and cultural experiences. Adapted teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. Met with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and to determine priorities for their children and their resource needs.Instructed students individually and in groups, using various research based teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, demonstrations, hands on, Collaborative and independent work, utilizing the creativity and individuality of each student to include all of Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences.. Assigned and grade classwork and homework, both Formatively and summatively.
· ESL · Online Detra is a good and responsible teacher and she is always well-prepared! And she is interesting to talk with!
· Reading · In home Detra has been such a blessing to our family. She came to our home to evaluate our 7-year old daughter who has struggled with reading. She had a great rapport with our daughter, made her feel comfortable and even have fun during the evaluation. She has a patient and positive demeanor and put our daughter at ease. She then spent over an hour with me (her mom), going over the results of the evaluation and recommending steps to work on. Since that time, she has answered my many questions, offering additional resources and encouragement. Looking forward to having her work more with our daughter. Highly recommend Detra!
· Grammar · In studio Ms. Damskov showed amazing love and care for my child and her job. She enthusiastically learned as much as she could about each subject so that she could teach it back to my struggling 8 year old. She is a wonderful tutor and teacher that I would readily send any of my 4 children to. I have full confidence that any of Ms. Damskov's students will not only do well under her, but far excel any expectations.
Your student will develop a love of learning under Ms. Damskov's teaching.
· English · In studio Detra was really really kind teacher. I took her lessons six years before. I was so nervous when my first lesson because I didn't speak English. But I didn't need wprry, she was very friendly and she was understanding what do I say, what do I know in English. It's very important as a teacher of langeage!!
· ESL · Detra is doing an amazing job with my daughter. Could not have a better experience.
· ESL · Online It was a great first session!I was very pleased, and greatly look forward to future sessions!
· Reading · In studio When Detra was tutoring my daughter, she really applied herself and put all her energy into preparation. She really enjoys teaching children.
· English · In studio She was really relaxed and easy to listen to. I didn't feel stressed and it was always easy to figure out what we had to do for homework.
· English · Online Detra's very patient, very friendly and a pleasure to work with, a great help and made me understand the material very well, thanks. Detra has been excellent, really helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend her.
· English Literature · In studio Ms. Damskov was a great teacher that introduced us to culture very well. Would recommend to anyone!!