- Teaches students:
- Ages 18+
- Teaching since:
Not sure you have the brain or the background to be a world-class developer? Sick of your current job and dying to try something creative, challenging, and rewarding, all in an industry that's growing? I know exactly how you feel, because I was there too and I have seen and helped dozens of people break into software development with confidence and a clearer understanding of the skills involved.
I came from a non-technical background and thought for sure that I was too "right-brained" to do this work, so I know that the struggle is real. More than anything else, I want you to know that If you are interested in programming and you are willing to work hard to understand the tools involved, then you already have what it takes. Let's get started!
PoleVault Admin and Pole Configurator for DWM Holdings
- Built an enterprise-level, component-based Rails app with a team from scratch.
- Built mission-critical light pole configuration web app, document repository, and other administrative software features.
- Worked with a remote-only team of senior developers who insisted on code cleanliness, test-coverage, and Git sanity
Stack: Ruby 2.3, Rails 4.2, HAML/CSS/Sass/Less, JS/Jquery, Bootstrap, jQuery UI, React/Node.js/Webpack, PostgreSQL, Heroku, AWS S3, Rspec/Cucumber, Github
Single-handedly designed, built, and launched Tipowl (tipowl.herokuapp.com), a browser-based Rails 5 tipping app.
Develop new features across all facets of the MogoTrain software back/front end, customer-facing and administrative. Collaboration with senior and fellow devs to optimize new feature implementation.
Implement new customer-facing and backend features on Haggai Connect website, including chat room, journal, goal-setting, and promotional features.
A Rails 5 API backend that allows users to sign into ActiveAdmin and create content to be delivered via JSON to a mobile front-end.
Jake Press Agency
Overhauled and reimplemented old site as a brand new Rails 5.0 web application deployed on Heroku. Created modern, responsive, animated views from mockups.
Stack: Ruby/Rails 4, HAML/SASS/Bootstrap, PostgreSQL, Capistrano/AWS (dev), Heroku (staging)
A Ruby/Rails application with minimal front-end that allows architecture firms to give detailed information about past and current projects.
-Responsible for implementing an international address search/match feature leveraging the Google Maps API via the Geocoder gem.
- Various bug fixes and refactors.
Stack: Ruby/Rails, HAML/CSS/Bootstrap, MySQL, Mina deployment to Linode servers running Ubuntu, git/Github.
- Visual/template overhaul to match Rails site backend appearance with Wordpress sales site front-end.
- SEO/SEM configuration
- Minor CRUD feature builds/improvements.
Creating a social platform and a search engine for a Fortune 500 healthcare client.
- Creating primary feature tests
- Adding UI features
- Refactoring and debugging
- Improving the Docker container build process and streamlining it to reduce build time.
- Bug fixing on geolocation and search results
- End-of-life documentation and open-source sanitization of LocalLink repository
- Adding and refactoring UI features
- Writing rspec/capybara integration tests & refactoring test suite
- Presented “Better Design with SOLID and GRASP” at Boulder.rb meetup
Migrated static site to a Ruby on Rails site with a robust Refinery CMS back end
- Created a map/database interface and querying tool using the Geocoder gem and Leaflet (JS mapping utility), and Ajax.
- Aggregated Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram APIs into a single social feed on the homepage.
- Ensured that the UI was mobile-responsive with Bootstrap and Vue.js.
Stack: Ruby on Rails, HAML, CSS, LESS, JS, Bootstrap, Refinery CMS (Rails engines), Capistrano, API consumption.