I am a French native and have been tutoring since I moved to Britain to be a French Assistant in a great middle/high school six years ago. I studied linguistics and English in France and ended up with a Master's in theatre (which is the other side of me).
When I tutor, I always remember the English assistants I used to have at school, I learned so much more with them because they were fun, knew their country very well and could tell us about what was going on there (we listened to music, watched videos, read books and even performed in mini plays we had to write!). I try to emulate this. I am convinced that getting to know the culture of a country is tremendously helpful when it comes to learning a language. It is like Mary Poppins' magic syrup, one spoonful of culture will help swallow the sometimes bitter rules of grammar. I say "sometimes" because they are not bitter for everyone, I fell in love with grammar in elementary school and completed all the exercises from the Bled (a French grammar book) instead of playing outside. Believe me, my bases are rock solid.
I live in Center City and would prefer students not too far from it (but let's talk anyway, as long as there is a good public transportation system around, it might work!). I do not have a designated space for tutoring, and I am pretty flexible (some students like meeting in cafes, some at their house, I don't really mind), we can also meet online.
If you are interested or need any more info, please do not hesitate to contact me (you can ask me a question before booking.)
Looking forward to hearing from you!
I have been tutoring in England and in the US since 2009.
I taught as a French Assistant for a year mainly helping high school students prepare their A levels but also giving classes to middle school students.
· French · Online Amandine is great at explanations and listening to you so she can help direct your progress. Also provides very helpful links to build your practice in between lessons.
· French · In studio Ama took the time to learn about my interests so that she can help me learn to speak and write with proficiency. She is smart and enthusiastic and I am thrilled with my lesson. I highly recommend her if you plan to study French!
· French · In studio Ama is an effective teacher--I am exited to continue working with her!
· French · In home Very positive first impression. I plan to work with her as long as it takes to establish a degree of confidence with the French language.
· French · Online Great energy, very positive, encouraging, engaging yet professional and very informative. Looking forward to my next lesson!
· French · Online Its great to have a personal tutor like Amandine. She works best with french conversation pertinent to every day life.
· French · Online I am very happy with the lesson I had with Ama. I think this is going to work out better than I thought. Can't wait for my next lesson and she sent me many things to work on for next weeks lesson.
· French · Online She is amazing! She takes her time and works with you at a speed. I would recommend her to anyone learning or just wanting to brush up on their French
· French · Online Amandine was punctual and an extremely nice person and very helpful and I look forward to continuing my French meson with her.
· French · Online First lesson down and I am really looking forward to many more. Amandine is very friendly and encouraging.