I am a San Diego native and have shown my paintings extensively throughout San Diego. It wasn't until several years after I graduated from UCLA in 1994 with a Bachelors in Fine Arts, that I really tried to show my work in galleries. Most recently, my work has been in shows at Project X Gallery, The Museum of the Living Artist, The San Diego Art Department, Sanctuary Gallery, Limbo Fine Arts, and Sushi Gallery. I have just started to show in other cities, most recently at the Rialto Theater in Corpus Christi, Texas and The Nico Gallery in Seattle, Washington.
Along with my painting career, I have created children’s book and magazine illustrations, done graphic design work, and taught others how to express themselves creatively through art. I have been creating curricula for children’s art programs and teaching them. I also have been teaching adults how to paint at the San Diego Art Department for the past 10 years and, in the past two years, with Painting &Vino.
Through my decade of teaching painting, I have honed a teaching style that encourages students to balance creativity and imagination with technique and skill. I strive to help students discover a process in which they are able to express themselves creatively while also teaching paint application techniques, color theory and the Elements and Principles of design. I am often in front of 50+ people at a time presenting my painting techniques within a limited amount of time.
I look forward to coaching you whether you're someone who hasn't painted since you were a kid or you're a seasoned painter who just needs a little help, encouragement or direction.
*** Lesson Details ***
Subjects may include, but are not limited to:
-The Elements & Principles of Design and how to use them
-The Creative Process
-Creating a Composition When You Don't Know What to Paint
-Creating a Painting Using a Photo as a Reference
-Oil vs. Acrylic Paints
-Advice for Artists with Works-In-Process
I am happy to teach a student anything s/he wants to explore within the realm of painting.
Teach high school and middle school students how to express themselves creatively through the visual arts focusing primarily on painting and drawing. Create and design my own curriculum.
Teach a group of adults (from 25 - 55 people) how to create a specific painting in a 3 hour class.
Teach adults painting and its relationship to color theory, the elements and principles of design, and how to develop one’s own personal method for deciding what and how to paint. Created the curriculum for and taught a youth art summer program to children ages 6 to 14
Created curriculum for elementary school art enrichment programs and then implemented that curriculum with children K through 6.
· Drawing · Online Deron has been flexible with our schedule. Our daughter (13yr) enjoys taking class with him.
· Painting · Online Deron is very patient. He teaches me different techniques from start of painting, to finishing touches. He is knowledgeable and can convey them clearly. He makes
the painting session fun and I like the interaction with him. Great teacher !!!
· Drawing · In studio While Deron is extremely knowledgeable. ...drawing / sketching is new and I felt that too much was given to me as a beginner in such a short (two hours) span of time. I'm sure after a few more lessons I'll feel more adequate for the task!
· Watercolor Painting · Online Great instructor!!
· Watercolor Painting · Online Deron is a great instructor. He is very inspiring and he's patient. I recommend him highly!
· Drawing · In home I really am enjoying my art lessons with Deron. Drawing is something I've wanted to learn for years. Deron is personable, patient, and quite knowledgable in this realm. He's a talented artist! I feel like I gain new insights after every lesson.
· Watercolor Painting · Online Wonderful lesson... my daughter loved it!
· Watercolor Painting · Online Deron does an amazing job he has been working with my 7yr old daughter and I couldn't be happier with her progress. The lessons are fun and she really enjoys them.