Our company, TakeLessons, is used by millions of people each month to find and book education services and take online classes. We have two products: first, a matching marketplace where customers find and book their perfect instructor – both in-person (locally) and online. Second, an online group class product called TakeLessons Live where customers can access live classes from wherever they are, on any device, and get the help they need.
We are experts at building technology solutions to help instructors market themselves, close more business, and teach online. However, we do not claim to be world-class education experts with deep proficiency in class design and pedagogy.
Thus, we are looking for an Education and Instructional Design Advisor who can help us ensure we are building products, services, and solutions that help our students and teachers reach their goals.
As our Education Advisor, you would advise us on how to better our tools for educational purposes and improve the learning outcomes of our online group classes. You’ll also get to work with a team of motivated people who share your passion for helping people.
Here is what our Education Advisor would do
- Meet with our TakeLessons Live team upfront to establish the systems for our group classes. This would include helping us understand (a) what makes a good class (b) the different components of the class (c) how the class would wrap up, etc. You would give us guidance on instructional class design.
- You would help us design courses (a series of classes), and certificates (a series of courses) around particular topics.
- You will be available for us to ask questions and receive guidance on educational topics. We might ask your opinions on things like: What is the best way to retain a student the entire time? What is the best way to use tools and artifacts in the class?
- We want to start a continuous education series where we help our teachers become better teachers. You would do occasional AMA’s (ask me anything) online with our Teacher community, where you would answer your peer’s questions around topics such as, what makes a great teacher, and how to improve retention.
- Advising us on incentive strategies such as using badges, levels, rewards, education certificates (both for students and teachers) to motivate them.
- You could give us guidance around You would be available for the CEO to get your thoughts on future plans.
Why this Advisor role is important.
Back in 2008, we had an idea to build technology that helps teachers and artists make a better living doing what they want to do.
Fast forward to today, we’ve taught over 3.5 million lessons, and each year over 20 million people use TakeLessons to learn, read our blog, and buy lessons. The company has expanded to include music, languages, tutoring, hobbies, and more. We have also expanded the technology so you can access live classes from anywhere in the world, take an online class, and learn from your mobile device.
We’re humbled to say our business matters to the thousands of instructors that make a living on the platform.
It matters to the tens of thousands of people who take lessons with us each month, who learn, who grow, and who make a more fulfilling life for themselves and their family.
Our business matters to our society. In a world where education is so critical to one’s success, we have a personal goal to positively impact millions of users through a better way to learn.
And our business matters to our employees, too. We believe that providing a positive culture where our people can do enjoyable work – work that matters – with cool people, in a stable company, and be paid well, is a worthy goal to shoot for.
Our mission is to inspire the world to connect, explore what’s possible, achieve results, and build a better tomorrow. Our Education Advisor helps us fulfill this mission.
Here is the type of background this person would have.
- Curriculum Design Coach, or Master Teacher in curriculum, or education-related studies
- 7 years of experience as an educator
- Direct experience leading and writing classes, courses, and other instructional design work
- An easy and simple way of communicating to lay-people
- An active teacher on TakeLessons.com
Does this suit you? If so, here are the details.
- This is an advisor role. The Advisor can be located anywhere.
Type of Position and Time Frame
- This is an advisory role on an as-needed basis
- Expecting between 8-12 hours for the first couple months, then 4-6 hours a month thereafter
- Two year position
- 10,000 options in TakeLessons stock, pending the completion of the full two years
- Higher margin earned on all new students during the role (20-20-20-10)
- Notoriety among your peers
- Ability to use “Education and Instructional Design Advisor: TakeLessons” on your resume and LinkedIn
Great! We can’t wait to meet you. Please send an email, along with your resume, to Maria Hernandez at email@example.com.